Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 188 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    NTmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I just received my DS6 test scores from the WPPSI. They are:

Block Design - 18
    Information - 16
    Matrix Reasoning 17
    Vocabulary - 17
    Picture Concepts - 11
    Word Reasoning - 17
    Coding - 7

Verbal IQ - 141 - 99.7%
    Performance IQ - 133 - 99%
    Full Scale IQ - 126 - 96%

I read the previous postings about how you all think the full scale IQ is computed. That was helpful.

My question is about the coding score. The psychologist said that after the first timed section my DS said "Why didn't you tell me I was being timed!" So it sounds like he didn't grasp the whole timing thing. I don't think he's ever done any timed work in school or at home, so this was a new concept for him. The score of 7 just seems so odd compared with the other scores. Would you agree? I'm assuming this is why his full scale IQ dropped so much.

And of course, there's the whole other issue of whether or not he should have been tested using the WPPSI. I've read the discussions on this forum about which test should be used at this age. The psychologist actually told me when I scheduled the appointment that she would use the WISC. Then when she called me in to give me his results, she said she used the WPPSI. Ugh! I asked her why and she said "no particular reason." Was that $500 wasted?

I'm so thankful for this forum. All of your posts have helped me so much for the start of what looks to be a long, but exciting journey! Thank you in advance to anyone who can give me some insights into his scores.

NTmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks for the feedback, Dottie. He was 6 years 1 month when he took the WPPSI.

With the pictures concepts, the psychologist also noted right that DS didn't seem to fully understand what she wanted him to do. So I wonder if that may have contributed to a lower score. Hmmm...

Mia Offline
    Were those all the subtests he took? It seems like there should be more, as well as a processing speed IQ...

Yes, he should have taken the WISC. I'd call her and tell her you want the WISC free of charge, since you were specifically told he'd be taking that test.

If it makes you feel any better, my ds-then-5's Coding score was also his lowest on the WPPSI. There's the timed factor, and the fact that it depends heavily on fine-motor skills, which aren't ds's forte! smile

Mia
    NTmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Yes, those were all the subtests that he took -- at least those are all of the subtest scores we were given.

In terms of asking for the WISC to be done, I've read that the WPPSI and WISC are very similar so there could be a re-test effect. Consequently, it is recommended that you wait 2 years in between using them. Is that correct?

And that's reassuring, Mia, to hear about your son's coding test scores... Thanks!

NTmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks for those clarifications about the sub-tests, Dottie.

So would those scores put him in the gifted range? Maybe mildly gifted? I'm afraid I still have my big denial hat on... smile

Mia Offline
    Those scores really are fabulous. Yes, definitely in the gifted range. They say that a solid set of 14s across the board indicates advanced functioning ... smile Welcome!

Thanks, Dottie -- I guess I was confused as our write up includes a Processing Speed index, which *does* use both scores. I suppose if you aren't considering that index, then it doesn't matter. My ds had vastly different scores on the two subtests that comprise the PSIQ -- 9 points difference.

Just wondering if he'd also done the Symbol Search subtest, NTmom; you could (unofficially) substitute it for that 7 in coding and see what happened to the FSIQ ... but if you don't have the score, you don't have it! smile

Mia
    J
    J
    Coding score that are low can mean many things, none of which mean is should not been considered gifted. Too bad on the non WISC choice, it is the better test.

My kid had very low coding and block but ceiling on most other things. She also showed she may have had a visually processing LD from the idscrepencies that we never ever suspected. The tester was correct and the next year she started having tremendous issues with dizziness, headaches... in school during math. Now she needs an IEP but is doing well in her gifted classes but it is an everyday struggle that the tests ID'd. Your tested if they have a gifted background should be able to give you an analysis. If they do not don't ask, you will get wrong information. Check your local gifetd assoc and see if you could send the reslutsto someone to give you an analysis or someone on this blog may be qualified.

NTmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    I wouldn't mind seeing a WISC update in time though, along with some achievement data, grin . They didn't happen to do something like the WJ for achievement along with the WPPSI, did they?

No, the psychologist didn't do achievement testing, as she thought that we should have DS's school do the tests so that they would "believe" their own results. Unfortunately though, we met with the school principal and DS's teacher yesterday to talk about options for DS. They said they wouldn't do achievement testing until 1st grade at the earliest (he is in K right now). The meeting was extremely disappointing. Thank goodness I had read about so many other people's similar experiences on this forum. Otherwise I think I would have been devastated. But I realize this was just the first step in a very long journey!

It really does help to know that you're not alone through it all, doesn't it?

I have no great insights or advice to offer. Just welcome to the journey. smile

Kriston
    S
    S
    DS4 is supposed to be tested with the WISC in a few months. He will be 4.8 when tested. The psychologist we are going with said that the WPPSI would be too easy for him, but then again aren't the WISC scores invalid for a child that age? I am just wondering about that whole thing. Plus he hates all timed things. It makes him really anxious. He still does some things at times when he has to (ie: solving the puzzle in wheel of fortune, or when he had the trial verson of fowl words, LOL). But timing him really slows him down. The psychologist that we are going to have him tested with is doing the SB-V as well, which I think he may do better at. He is highly verbal...but also highly mathmatical so we will see.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM