Matrix Reasoning 17
Vocabulary - 17
Picture Concepts - 11
Word Reasoning - 17
Coding - 7

Verbal IQ - 141 - 99.7%
Performance IQ - 133 - 99%
Full Scale IQ - 126 - 96%

I read the previous postings about how you all think the full scale IQ is computed. That was helpful.

My question is about the coding score. The psychologist said that after the first timed section my DS said "Why didn't you tell me I was being timed!" So it sounds like he didn't grasp the whole timing thing. I don't think he's ever done any timed work in school or at home, so this was a new concept for him. The score of 7 just seems so odd compared with the other scores. Would you agree? I'm assuming this is why his full scale IQ dropped so much.

And of course, there's the whole other issue of whether or not he should have been tested using the WPPSI. I've read the discussions on this forum about which test should be used at this age. The psychologist actually told me when I scheduled the appointment that she would use the WISC. Then when she called me in to give me his results, she said she used the WPPSI. Ugh! I asked her why and she said "no particular reason." Was that $500 wasted?

I'm so thankful for this forum. All of your posts have helped me so much for the start of what looks to be a long, but exciting journey! Thank you in advance to anyone who can give me some insights into his scores.
Posted By: NTmom Re: Question about WPPSI test scores - 01/16/09 08:06 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Dottie. He was 6 years 1 month when he took the WPPSI.

With the pictures concepts, the psychologist also noted right that DS didn't seem to fully understand what she wanted him to do. So I wonder if that may have contributed to a lower score. Hmmm...
Posted By: Mia Re: Question about WPPSI test scores - 01/16/09 08:57 PM
Were those all the subtests he took? It seems like there should be more, as well as a processing speed IQ...

Yes, he should have taken the WISC. I'd call her and tell her you want the WISC free of charge, since you were specifically told he'd be taking that test.

If it makes you feel any better, my ds-then-5's Coding score was also his lowest on the WPPSI. There's the timed factor, and the fact that it depends heavily on fine-motor skills, which aren't ds's forte! smile
Posted By: NTmom Re: Question about WPPSI test scores - 01/16/09 09:25 PM
Yes, those were all the subtests that he took -- at least those are all of the subtest scores we were given.

In terms of asking for the WISC to be done, I've read that the WPPSI and WISC are very similar so there could be a re-test effect. Consequently, it is recommended that you wait 2 years in between using them. Is that correct?

And that's reassuring, Mia, to hear about your son's coding test scores... Thanks!
Posted By: NTmom Re: Question about WPPSI test scores - 01/17/09 12:33 AM
Thanks for those clarifications about the sub-tests, Dottie.

So would those scores put him in the gifted range? Maybe mildly gifted? I'm afraid I still have my big denial hat on... smile
Posted By: Mia Re: Question about WPPSI test scores - 01/17/09 01:06 AM
Those scores really are fabulous. Yes, definitely in the gifted range. They say that a solid set of 14s across the board indicates advanced functioning ... smile Welcome!

Thanks, Dottie -- I guess I was confused as our write up includes a Processing Speed index, which *does* use both scores. I suppose if you aren't considering that index, then it doesn't matter. My ds had vastly different scores on the two subtests that comprise the PSIQ -- 9 points difference.

Just wondering if he'd also done the Symbol Search subtest, NTmom; you could (unofficially) substitute it for that 7 in coding and see what happened to the FSIQ ... but if you don't have the score, you don't have it! smile
Posted By: JoAnn Re: Question about WPPSI test scores - 01/17/09 05:31 PM
Coding score that are low can mean many things, none of which mean is should not been considered gifted. Too bad on the non WISC choice, it is the better test.

My kid had very low coding and block but ceiling on most other things. She also showed she may have had a visually processing LD from the idscrepencies that we never ever suspected. The tester was correct and the next year she started having tremendous issues with dizziness, headaches... in school during math. Now she needs an IEP but is doing well in her gifted classes but it is an everyday struggle that the tests ID'd. Your tested if they have a gifted background should be able to give you an analysis. If they do not don't ask, you will get wrong information. Check your local gifetd assoc and see if you could send the reslutsto someone to give you an analysis or someone on this blog may be qualified.
Posted By: NTmom Re: Question about WPPSI test scores - 01/18/09 03:24 AM
Originally Posted by Dottie
I wouldn't mind seeing a WISC update in time though, along with some achievement data, grin . They didn't happen to do something like the WJ for achievement along with the WPPSI, did they?

No, the psychologist didn't do achievement testing, as she thought that we should have DS's school do the tests so that they would "believe" their own results. Unfortunately though, we met with the school principal and DS's teacher yesterday to talk about options for DS. They said they wouldn't do achievement testing until 1st grade at the earliest (he is in K right now). The meeting was extremely disappointing. Thank goodness I had read about so many other people's similar experiences on this forum. Otherwise I think I would have been devastated. But I realize this was just the first step in a very long journey!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Question about WPPSI test scores - 01/18/09 07:07 PM
It really does help to know that you're not alone through it all, doesn't it?

I have no great insights or advice to offer. Just welcome to the journey. smile
Posted By: shellymos Re: Question about WPPSI test scores - 01/20/09 08:33 PM
DS4 is supposed to be tested with the WISC in a few months. He will be 4.8 when tested. The psychologist we are going with said that the WPPSI would be too easy for him, but then again aren't the WISC scores invalid for a child that age? I am just wondering about that whole thing. Plus he hates all timed things. It makes him really anxious. He still does some things at times when he has to (ie: solving the puzzle in wheel of fortune, or when he had the trial verson of fowl words, LOL). But timing him really slows him down. The psychologist that we are going to have him tested with is doing the SB-V as well, which I think he may do better at. He is highly verbal...but also highly mathmatical so we will see.

Posted By: incogneato Re: Question about WPPSI test scores - 01/20/09 09:16 PM
I would not pay to have the WISC administered to my child at 4. Sounds like the SB is a good plan. I understand about trusting the expert, but you are the parent AND the pocketbook, you have the final say about if and when you will allow you child to sit for a test/assessment.

Good luck!
Posted By: shellymos Re: Question about WPPSI test scores - 01/21/09 02:55 AM
Thanks for your comments. I will definitely discuss with her. I could have misunderstood that part, but I clearly remember her saying that the WPPSI wouldn't be accurate because he would most likely hit the ceiling on it. I really didn't know much about it, but did trust her opinion as she is very knowledgeable in working with and testing gifted children. She wanted a comprehensive assessment and stated that she wanted to do it as a package...the SB-V, Bender gestalt, torrance creativity and I thought she said the Wisc. I will ask her about it again next time we talk. I kind of would like to just do the SB-v for now and do the others later. I suppose I could do the other two, but I don't know much about them either. I looked into them a little but not too much. Does anyone know much about either of the other ones?
Posted By: shellymos Re: Question about WPPSI test scores - 01/21/09 03:12 AM
okay, I feel kind of dumb (but it would not be the first time). I looked back through my email and she recommended the SB-V and the WIAT, which according to Hoagies is 4-19. She said the WISC was for 6+, and had said that she would not bother with the WPPSI. Oops. I looked briefly at what they look at on the WIAT and it looks like it is totally up his ally. He would probably really enjoy taking it for fun.
Posted By: incogneato Re: Question about WPPSI test scores - 01/21/09 04:03 AM
Yes, that sounds like a very good plan! Here's to some good testing days. You should be able to get some good information that may shed some light on future educational planning.
Posted By: shellymos Re: Question about WPPSI test scores - 01/21/09 01:57 PM
Thanks, I feel much better about the tests now. I do wonder how he will do. She seems to understand the challenges of testing a child that day and said she would break it up into different days/times if needed as she doesn't want to overwhelm him. I do wonder if he will just randomly say "I don't feel like doing this" But he generally is compliant. I do think he will think it is fun and enjoy it, but like I said with a 4yo you just never know. She did meet him once in November. She called me to have him come in just to talk with me and to meet him. I thought that was pretty cool. She didn't even charge us for it, just wanted to meet him and talk to him a little. I was very surprised by that. Anyhow, thanks again...I appreciate the help and guidance.
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: Question about WPPSI test scores - 01/21/09 02:43 PM
Sounds like a very nice tester. My DS5 took the SB-V when he was 4.1, and he thought it was really fun. I would take the psychologist up on the offer to do the testing on different days, though, especially if your son hasn't had testing before. The SB-V can vary quite a bit in length. If I remember correctly, it took DS about 1.5 hours? But other kids have taken longer.
Posted By: crisc Re: Question about WPPSI test scores - 01/21/09 02:49 PM
My DS6 took the SB-V at age 4 years and 9 months. He did it in one sitting over 1.5-2hours. The tester made him take a quick snack/water break at the halfway point. My son really enjoyed theh testing process. It was a long day, especially with an almost 2 hour drive, but well worth it.

The acheivement testing was more of a struggle (WJ-III). He took that at 5 years 1 month and HATED the writing portions. He just didn't have enough fine motor to do those activites with ease. Our tester was great. They used a timer and broke it up into small pieces and surprisingly he ended up scoring pretty well on those sections.

Sounds like you found a great tester who is going to be able to do the appropriate tests. I hope you get some great data to help you plan for his educational needs.
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: Question about WPPSI test scores - 01/21/09 03:13 PM
crisc - We will be doing the WJ-III with the school soon, and I am worried about it for exactly the same reason your DS hated it - the writing portions. My DS5 will probably be taking it around the same age as yours. He does not like to write, and he does not want to spell. Do you remember how many writing portions do they use for 5 yos?

shellymos - I guess my recommendation to split testing days stem from my fear about how my son might do in the achievement testing! I wouldn't have wanted DS to take both the iq and achievement in the same day.
Posted By: shellymos Re: Question about WPPSI test scores - 01/21/09 04:17 PM
Yes, I think she recommended splitting the testing into three mornings. My guess is ideally it would be the WIAT one day, SB-V another, and the Torrance and Bender the other day. It may go quicker but I think that will be her plan. I think that will give him time and not make him feel overwhelmed.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum