Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 188 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Grinity #35270 01/17/09 08:21 AM
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    2KMom,
    Another thing to keep in mind with MAP is that it is more likely that your daughter's scores are underreporting her abilities rather than inflating them.
    From http://www.nwea.org/support/details.aspx?content=1024
    Is it possible for students to get a falsely inflated score by guessing?
    By nature, it's impossible to know when a score is "inflated." However, the number of means by which one can get an inflated score are generally limited to either guessing or cheating. Cheating can be difficult if the room is monitored properly and few students will ever be "lucky" with their guessing.

On the other hand, any number of things can deflate a score. Fatigue, hunger, anger, boredom, or distraction can all have negative impacts on a student's performance. It is more likely that a score that doesn�t reflect a student�s true ability will be deflated than inflated.
    DD6 took MAP math last week. I was asking her how it went and was pleased to see she got questions involving multiplying and dividing. She said one of the questions was what's 5 divided by 5 and she'd answered zero. I said, "If you have 5 pieces of candy and divide them among five people, how much would each person get?" She immediately answered one, so I explained that's what 5 divided by 5 means.

Dottie #35273 01/17/09 08:57 AM
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    As far as I can tell, the length is determined by how many questions the child gets right. The more questions right, the longer the test takes. I'm guessing DD spent about 20 minutes on the math portion this time.

In K, DD was crying because she was taking the test and was the last one finished. The other kids had left to their next subject, but she was still answering questions. When she looked up and realized she was the only one left, she thought she'd done something wrong. frown

inky #35277 01/17/09 09:45 AM
    Originally Posted by inky
    In K, DD was crying because she was taking the test and was the last one finished. The other kids had left to their next subject, but she was still answering questions. When she looked up and realized she was the only one left, she thought she'd done something wrong. frown

Oh My! Poor Thing! And folks say that being the 'fastest' doesn't get reinforced at school because babies are to young to understand what 'finishing first' means. NOT - this proves it. Were you able to explain to her that with this particular test the one who finishes last, finishes best. Super news about the Mult and Division. I think that gives you some hope that she did really really well, yes?

I agree with 'not written means it didn't happen' which is why I included a 'thanks for the phone call step' to be put in writing. I understand that we all have various strengths and weaknesses, I tend to forget that...opps. I still think a brief phone call to ask 'who' you should address the letter to would be in order. You don't have to go into the whole story, just ask them to help you. I called MAP when I first heard of them, and the person I spoke to sounded really interested and pleased to hear from me. 'N of 1' which is how we say: Your milage may vary!

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    inky #35283 01/17/09 10:18 AM
    J
    J
    A very good letter, long but warrants attention. I have my kid privately tested due to thestypes of problems and more with the school screeners. The school will not use them for placement but at leasy we know and I submit them and ask for explanations when there is a discrepency between their screeners and a full WISC or Stanford.

I would have a couple bullets that highlight the main problem and highlaight what you are asking them to do at the end. Our admin. have a difficult time reading anything longerthan a half page. sad but true

JoAnn #35288 01/17/09 10:52 AM
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thanks Grinity,
    I'd missed your earlier post and the script you wrote helps. With two people emphasizing good reasons to call first, it looks like I need to get over my phone aversion.

P.S. Yes, I took it as a good sign that she got to the multiplication and division questions.

P.P.S. She understood better this time that taking longer was a good thing. She was just a little disappointed because she didn't have as much time to read her book afterwards as the other students had. wink

Last edited by inky; 01/17/09 11:14 AM.
    inky #35591 01/20/09 04:49 PM
    Originally Posted by inky
    Thanks Grinity,
    I'd missed your earlier post and the script you wrote helps.
    oh good!

((eyes rolling)) at rushing through tests to have time to read a book - if gifted children wrote country and western songs, I'll bet they would sound like that!

Smiles,
    Grinity

Grinity #36374 01/27/09 07:47 PM
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    So I called NWEA last Tuesday and spoke with Lori in partner relations. At first she told me I'd have to contact my district about any MAP test information. I explained I had contacted my district but my concerns went beyond my district.

I explained I was calling about the Preliminary norms and was concerned this information was being used by other districts because it was on their web sites. When I said something about inaccurate data and standard deviations, that got her attention. She wanted to know the name of DD's school and said someone would be contacting me. I never got a chance to fully explain the situation.

How long would you wait to hear back before calling or sending a letter?

inky #36397 01/28/09 03:56 AM
    Well, since they didn't immediately send out the black helicopters with the zip lines to nab you...I'd give it a couple of weeks. grin

It's been one week already, right?

The sudden shift there does sound promising! Go, go, go! smile

Last edited by chris1234; 01/28/09 03:58 AM.
    What a drag! IMHO - Maybe wait one more week, and then release the letter. It would be fine to call back, but not gaurenteed, and I know your aren't a phone person.

Thanks for trying. You've fufuilled your obligation.

Grinity

Grinity #36423 01/28/09 10:04 AM
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thanks and I'll wait another week. I've come to realize my sense of how long things should take in the education world is skewed. I'm used to working on tight deadlines and expect the rest of the world to operate the same way. blush

Well, since they didn't immediately send out the black helicopters with the zip lines to nab you...I'd give it a couple of weeks
    This cracked me up! If you don't hear from me for a while, send out a search party. wink

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM