Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #35174 01/16/09 09:51 AM
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    I'm looking for feedback on a letter I've drafted to the NWEA about the erroneous MAP test data. I thought Mr. Boekelheide would be the right person to send it to, since it seems to be a quality issue. Please let me know if I can get my point across more clearly.
    I'd rather have direct honest feedback than tactful replies designed to not hurt my feelings. smile
    http://www.nwea.org/about/

Dear Mr. Boekelheide,

We are writing about the MAP for Primary Grades Initial and Preliminary Norms. In October we were given hand written notes for our daughter�s RIT scores and associated percentiles:
    Fall 1st Grade: Reading RIT 195 (81%) Math RIT 187 (77%)

These percentiles did not make sense to us, so we started asking questions and digging deeper. Eventually we were told the scores had been renormed using the MAP for Primary Grades Preliminary Norms. We compared the data from the Preliminary Norms with the RIT Scale Norms for Early Primary Grades (RSN for EPG) dated November 29, 2007.

Specifically, the standard deviations (SDs) for the Preliminary Norms appear to be 33 points for math and 31 points for reading. The SDs for the RIT Scale Norms are 12 points for math and 10 points for reading. To put it in perspective, the difference between the beginning of year median for 1st grade and 3rd grade is 32 points in reading and 28 points in math.

After pointing this out to our school officials, they contacted NWEA and found out the Preliminary Norms should not have been used. We are concerned about how the Initial and Preliminary Norms were developed, how they were distributed to school personnel, and how NWEA has communicated with parents and schools about the validity of this data.

Testing gives objective information that is necessary for teachers and parents to make informed decisions about instruction and curriculum in the classroom, school, district, and home. Accurate assessments are critical to the credibility of these tests. Inaccurate data presents a whole host of problems. For example, the Individuals with Disabilities Act requires Individual Education Plans to include measurable annual goals and a description of how the child's progress toward meeting the annual goals will be measured. It is critical to include accurate, objective measurement in IEPs. Changes in test scores over time provide the means to assess educational benefit or regression.

In addition, a number of programs for gifted children require a qualifying test score. For example, the Johns Hopkins CTY Talent Search requires achievement at the 95th percentile or higher on one or more subtests of a nationally-normed standardized test and MAP is one of the tests CTY accepts. When parents are given erroneous data showing their child is at the 81st percentile instead of the 99th percentile, children can lose out on opportunities to participate in these types of education programs.

Educational and psychological tests are designed to present normal bell curve distributions with predictable patterns of scores. When school officials are using data that shows a child is 1 standard deviation from the mean instead of 3 standard deviations from the mean, there should be some concern about whether children at that school are getting appropriate services designed to meet their unique needs. For above the mean, this is a difference between the 84th percentile vs. the 99th percentile. For below the mean, this is a difference between the 16th percentile vs. the 1st percentile. The need for intervention may be obscured if the wrong percentiles are considered. These are some of the impacts of having erroneous data.

We have attempted to address this at the local level and will continue to work with our school district in getting the correct data to teachers and parents. Unfortunately we are concerned that other districts have made similar errors and may also be using the erroneous data. For example, we found the MAP for Primary Grades Initial and Preliminary Norms posted on different districts� web sites:

http://www.bismarck.k12.nd.us/uploads%5Cresources%5C2530%5Cmap_pri_fall_percentiles.pdf
    http://www.bismarck.k12.nd.us/uploads%5Cresources%5C2531%5Cmap_pri_spring_percentiles.pdf
    http://teachers.greenville.k12.sc.u...20Training%20Reference%20Links091207.doc

We feel the ramifications of inaccurate data necessitate NWEA taking additional steps to ensure districts, teachers and parents have the correct data instead of the erroneous data. Please let us know what NWEA is willing to do to resolve this issue.

Sincerely,

Inky, thanks for posting this info. I am a newbie here and found this forum searching for info on assessment and achievement testing, specifically the NWEA. I want to now look at my daughter's NWEA results and info on the norms. Her results are all over the map and don't seem to be assessing her ability. Thanks!

I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    NWEA is the test maker. According to our district's assessment coordinator, NWEA trains the schools on how the test is designed; what data the assessment provides; how to interpret the data; what is appropriate and not appropriate to do with the data; and what additional materials are available to the schools to support the next steps with instruction. They developed the Norms. They made an error developing the Preliminary and Initial norms.

The school made an error substituting the Preliminary Norms in place of the official norms. The district didn't seem to provide any oversight to prevent this and hasn't taken steps to make sure other schools in our district aren't doing the same thing.

Trying to get this addressed at the school and district level, I get the impression that they view erroneous percentiles as no big deal. I included the examples to show why it is a big deal.

The letter I wanted to write channeled the Saturday Night Live comedian:
    Identify the problem. FIX IT!! Identify another problem. FIX IT! Repeat as necessary until it's all fixed!

Thanks for the feedback

inky #35181 01/16/09 10:52 AM
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    2KMom,
    If you view my posts, you can find more background under my first post "Weird Scores." Hope it helps you understand her results better.

inky #35183 01/16/09 11:05 AM
    Originally Posted by inky
    [quote]
    We feel the ramifications of inaccurate data necessitate NWEA taking additional steps to ensure districts, teachers and parents have the correct data instead of the erroneous data. Please let us know what NWEA is willing to do to resolve this issue.
    quote]

Hi Inky - I think your letter is good. I'd maybe tone down the last paragraph, because I think NWEA would be more willing to work with someone who is not so obviously angry. (I think you should be angry, but this last part would maybe lead the recipient to put in on the bottom of the pile...)

Maybe "Could you please review the instructions that are given to the districts and perhaps send an addendum explaining more clearly how the results are to be interpreted? As you can see, just a tiny bit of research in our district showed that several schools are using incorrect data, so I feel certain you will find other similar districts nationwide. " or something like this? Just a thought.

I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Good point SPG. I'll work on the last part.

Actually, I don't even know if other schools in our district ARE using the incorrect data. Our district seems to have washed their hands of any oversight, saying which reports to use is a school decision. So some of the anger stems from feeling responsible because I know about the situation, but not being able to get the people in charge to take on the responsibility for fixing it. cry

#35227 01/16/09 03:54 PM
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thanks kcab and I'll incorporate those suggestions. I definitely want it to go to someone who understands statistics.

In NWEA's Parent Toolkit, it says

we are unable to discuss any student information, test results, or district assessment programs directly with parents.

and

Because each district's implementation is unique, parents will need to direct specific questions and concerns to their local school district resources.

That supports your point that NWEA may have limited ability to change the situation. Since they put out the bad data in the first place, I want to emphasize their responsibility to try and correct it.

So your post helps me summarize the problem as: Invalid data is being disseminated by school officials to teachers and parents. It is also being disseminated on the web.

inky #35237 01/16/09 05:10 PM
    Hi Inky,
    I like your letter as a 'phase II' but i would strongly reccomend a phase I as follows.

Phase I:
    Part 1: Phone call, 'Hi, I'm calling because you won't believe the trouble we had with your test! I'd love to tell you about it because I'm sure you wouldn't imagine the terrible mess it caused! Who would be the best person to talk to?

Part 2: Talk to the best Person

Part 3: Write a 'thank you' letter to the Best Person, and re-emphasise your main points.

then, if you still feel you are being blown off - Phase II!

KWIM?

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #35241 01/16/09 05:43 PM
    This is a really strong, super well written letter! I would still probably go with a phone call first - letter in hand.

I think a less formal mode of communication puts people more at ease from the get go, and the back and forth you probably need to engage in is so much more easily accomplished.

Good luck, sounds like a very worthy effort!

I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Chris,
    Thanks for the feedback and I slept on your advice about calling first. I've been frustrated with trying to advocate by phone about school issues in the past. I've gotten lots of information by phone but it's been difficult to act on it.

Another part of it may be that I don't like being on the phone in general. I like taking time to collect my thoughts and mull over the other person's response. Some of the advantages I've found to writing are:

Letters create pressure, build accountability, and encourage others to become more productive and responsible.
    (from School Advocacy Hamilton)

If it was not written down, it was not said. If it was not written down, it did not happen.
    (from Wrightslaw)

So after giving it serious consideration, I'm going to start with the letter. I appreciate you bringing it up and understand your point. smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM