Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 351 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    jbr3610 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    So here's an odd question.. My DS7 is in second grade. His teacher is lovely, a bit eccentric, and we really like her.
    She teaches knitting every year to her students. This has become a bit of a sticking point with some of the parents in the school, who see it as a pointless when there is so much else to learn. ( ie: why are they learning to knit when they need to learn spelling, math, science, etc.) They spend about a half hour per day on this, but have a choice to either silent read or knit. No one is forced into it.

However, I knit, and have offered to help in the class.
    I see it as an opportunity to help them learn a new skill, gain fine moter dexterity, increase attention spans and practice counting. ( Not to mention it fosters creativity and confidence.)My DS, who is very much "all boy" couldn't have been prouder when he knit a wristband for me for christmas.

Today was my first day helping. It was very interesting to watch those students that "got it" and those that need extra help. Some that are bright struggle, and some that struggle academically take to knitting like ducks to water.
    So.. any thoughts? Any educated guesses at who will do well with this? Anyone appalled that this is going on when they all should be studying math facts?
    I guess I'm treating this as my own little experiment.
    I'll be in the class once a week for the rest of the year.
    I'm interested to hear thoughts......

I
    I
    Not a knitter but not at all appalled by this. smile
    One of the biggest benefits I see is that it can teach children the ability to calm themselves (like meditating). The teacher's lessons on spelling, math, science, etc. are probably more effective on calm young minds than stressed out ones. I'm appalled when I see kids playing monster truck video games and watching cartoons at school. frown
    I'd be happy to have DD in that teacher's class learning something new that she could use the rest of her life. Good luck with your experiment.

it teaches
    math: pattern, addition, subtraction, etc.

Home economics: How to make something..... not usually taught in the younger grades!

art appreciation: It's considered a folk craft. There have been shows of fancy knittin' in big museams..... smile

as well as many other things.... what's not to love?

(Of course crochet is better! wink )

J
    jbr3610 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    LOL crochet vs. knitting, my mom and I have the same arguement!

The teacher made the comment that her most "hyper" student last year was her best knitter, that it truly did have a calming effect on him.

acs Offline
    It seems to me like it is a way to engage the kinesthetic learners in the class. They are a seriously underseverved minority. I am glad they are getting their moment to shine!

Originally Posted by jbr3610
    ( Not to mention it fosters creativity and confidence.)My DS, who is very much "all boy" couldn't have been prouder when he knit a wristband for me for christmas.

I'd love my son to have a teacher who set up this kind of activity. I find knitting very soothing. Reminds me of a friend who says that self esteem increases when a person completes a task that at the begining looked impossible. Don't remember who she was paraphrasing, but I love these ideas!

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Long time knitter here! smile

I taught DS7 to knit at the start of the year because he was curious about it. He hasn't kept up with it, and that's fine. But he enjoyed learning, and it was something different.

I see no problem with it, provided it's not holding kids back. It is an awfully useful skill to learn! Kids who are able to relax into it and who have good work ethics will do well at it, I predict. Kids who are tense perfectionists will struggle and get frustrated, though they may overcome it, and it might be a darn good lesson for them. Knitting really helped me accept that perfect wasn't necessary. laugh

Kriston
    I like how the yarn looks when it's being 'unknit.' How could a whole cloth be really only one long string?
    Grins

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I see it at least as equal to any other art project, with some side benefit of getting some kids to be calmer and learn to concentrate. GS9 loves to knit but still needs a lot of help on a shawl he's working on.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations