Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    #33997 01/03/09 07:19 PM
    B
    Barbara Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Based on some social interaction things, I'm starting to wonder if DS9 is somewhere on the Asperger's spectrum. Is his unawareness of social cues just him being hyperfocused, or would more "teaching" be helpful.

Just musing here, but a little light went off recently and I'm starting research.

Thanks for any insights or thoughts on the topic!

Barbara #34001 01/04/09 05:06 AM
    we went through this debate for a long time with DS7. I had some suspicions. I think I was hyper focused, and clearly when your gifted kid is 3 and tries to discuss the book just read with another little boy, there is bound to be some social awkwardness.

When he got to school there was a therapist who tested him for OT. She decided he has Aspergars..... and then convinced many of this staff that this was true.

We have had him tested by 3 Doctors.... and they all agree he doesn't have Aspergars, he's a smart little boy who is hyperactive and sometimes doesn't always notice whats going on around him.

The older he has gotten the more I realize he doesn't have it.

They kept asking me if he had "catch phrases", responces he would say over and over (He doesn't). Also there was a lot of discussion about creative play. ("Does he play with little toys and give make them talk to each other?")

I am not sure if this is helpful to you. But I hope so.

Last edited by ienjoysoup; 01/04/09 05:07 AM. Reason: big mistake
    ienjoysoup #34002 01/04/09 06:44 AM
    Hi Barbara,
    I went over some of your early posts (loved the July 08 discussion on 'Hello!') and am thinking that with a boy as 'out there smart' as DS9, it is going to take a lot of wisdom and experience to lead you through the briar patch of possible duel diagnosis and misdiagnosis. I would not leave this in the school system's hands by any means, or even mention your worries to them. Aunt Grinity says:
    'Unlearning from emotionally painful experiences is slow and unpredictable, so protect yourself!'

Please remind me what kind of assesment he has gotten so far: WISC? Achievement? From School? Privatly?

If he has the scores that would get him accepted, I would try the Davidson Young Scholar Program before making an appointment to have him assessed.
    YSP services: http://www.davidsongifted.org/young..._Scholars___Consulting_Services_374.aspx
    YSP
    Qualification Criteria: http://www.davidsongifted.org/young...holars___Qualification_Criteria_384.aspx

If he doesn't have the current criteria, then I would look for someone to assess him who is very, very familiar with a profoundly gifted kid and with Aspergers.

Be sure to tell the story about wondering if reality is a product of his imagination. I don't know that much about Aspergars, but I do reccomend reading some of the Davidson Database articles, such as:
    http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10167.aspx

Here's part of the article:
    Originally Posted by Maureen Neihart
    Similarities Between Asperger Children and Gifted ChildrenThere seem to be at least seven characteristics common to gifted children and to children with AS. These commonalities have not been verified in any controlled studies, but are pulled from the shared literature and clinical experience. For instance, verbal fluency or precocity is common to both, and both may have excellent memories (Clark, 1992; Frith, 1991; Levy, 1988; Silverman, 1993). Both may evidence a fascination with letters or numbers and enjoy memorizing factual information at an early age. Both may demonstrate an absorbing interest in a specialized topic and may acquire vast amounts of factual information about it (Clark; Gallagher, 1985; Klin & Volkmar, 1995). They may annoy peers with their limitless talk about their interests. They may ask endless questions or give such lengthy and elaborately specific responses to questions that it seems they are unable to stop. One gifted AS child known to the author, when asked who Christopher Columbus was, responded with a dozen sentences detailing his genealogy. Hypersensitivity to sensory stimuli is also not uncommon in both groups of children. Parents of gifted and AS children alike often can tell stories of their child's adamant refusal to wear certain kinds of materials, to eat foods of a certain texture, to recoil or run at the sound of noises they find particularly abrasive, or to refuse some kinds of touch. AS children are described as having quite a range of abilities, as are gifted children. It was Asperger's observation that all children with the disorder seem to have "a special interest which enables them to achieve quite extraordinary levels of performance in a certain area" (p. 45). This interest is similar to the way in which gifted children are said to have "passions" (Betts & Kercher, 1999; Torrance, 1965). While they may demonstrate extraordinary skill in selected areas, both AS children and gifted children may perform in the average range in other areas (Baum, Owen, & Dixon, 1991; Wing, 1991). Both the gifted and the AS child are described as experiencing uneven development, particularly when cognitive development is compared to social and affective development at a young age (Altman, 1983; Asperger, 1991; Hollingworth, 1942; Silverman, 1993).

Distinguishing Normal Giftedness From Asperger's SyndromeSeveral similarities between gifted children and children with AS have been noted. Some of the distinguishing criteria are listed in Table 1. One distinguishing characteristic may be found in speech patterns. AS children, like ordinary gifted children, can evidence fluent speech that seems characterized by original and analytic thinking. Although both groups of children can be highly verbal, AS children are typically pedantic, while normal gifted children are not. Frith (1991) suggested a distinction may be made by the seamlessness of the speech. AS individuals may demonstrate seamless mixtures of knowledge and personal accounts in their written or oral responses to questions. They run on and on, blending content, personal reflections, and autobiographical illustrations. They do so perhaps because they are not aware of the purpose of the questions.

A second difference lies in how they respond to routines or structure. Although both are sometimes described as resistant to routine at home or school, ordinary gifted children are not nearly as rigid about routines as some AS children are. Also, gifted children, as a rule, do not have the kinds of difficulties coping with change that AS children have. AS children can have great difficulty with the lockstep scheduling and routine of traditional classrooms, and they may refuse to cooperate with common learning tasks of school. Gifted children may express displeasure about routines and may passively resist them, but they are not as likely to panic or become aggressive as are AS children. Although both the gifted and the Asperger learner may complain about schedules and procedures, the latter is more likely to become obsessive about it (Barron & Barron, 1992; Clark, 1992; Klin & Volkmar, 1995).

There is also a difference in the whimsical behaviors that characterize AS children and some gifted children. Margaret Dewey (1992) wrote of the differences between autistic eccentricity and "garden variety eccentricity." Her observations may be useful to those trying to draw a line between normal gifted behaviors and AS behaviors. She noted that the normal eccentric person is aware that others will regard his or her eccentric behaviors as odd, while the individual with AS is not aware. People with AS often have no sense that they have done anything out of the ordinary. This obliviousness to social conventions is a trademark of the disorder. Several writers trace this obliviousness to the lack of a "theory of mind" (Atwood, 1998). Theory of mind is akin to metacognition; it refers to knowing what one knows and how one knows it, while simultaneously processing differences in others. Theory of mind also subsumes the ability to take perspective; to be aware of oneself and to take another's perspective at the same time. Children with AS have great difficulty understanding the perspective of others, which is what makes their social adjustment so challenging (Schopler & Mesibov, 1992; Wing, 1981; Wing & Gould, 1979). The criterion of obliviousness may serve to distinguish gifted children with and without Asperger's above age 7 or 8. For example, AS children may demonstrate excellent selective memory for people or events. Similarly, gifted children may demonstrate superb memory for selected topics of special interest to them. A difference, though, is that children with AS will assume others understand their references and will not be aware that others may find their memory remarkable in any way. In contrast, ordinary gifted children understand that others probably do not share their knowledge of selected topics and that others are surprised by their keen memory (Dewey, 1992).

A fourth distinction between the ordinary gifted child and the AS child has to do with the "disturbance of active attention" (Asperger, 1991, p. 76). Gifted children can have attention difficulties; but, when they do, it is usually because they are distracted by external stimuli. AS individuals are prone to distraction, but it is distraction that comes from within. They attend much less to external stimuli and more to their inner world. This internal distraction usually impairs their school performance.

Quality of humor is a fifth distinction. Gifted children with AS may be creative with word play and may even excel in making puns, but they lack the social reciprocity that underlies most humor (Atwood, 1998; Grandin, 1992; Van Bourgondien & Mesibov, 1987). They don't laugh at things that are funny to most people, and they often don't get the joke. Gifted children, on the other hand, are not characterized by deficits in their ability to understand humor.

Affective expression is the sixth potentially distinguishing feature. Children with Asperger's tend to present as automatons to some degree (Atwood, 1998). Their emotional response is often not what one would expect. It might be flattened or restricted, or they may laugh, get mad, or become anxious inappropriately. Inappropriate affective expression is not a common characteristic of gifted children. Perhaps the most pronounced feature to distinguish a gifted AS student is his or her remarkable lack of insight and awareness regarding the feelings, needs, and interests of other people. An AS child will talk interminably in a monotonous or pedantic tone about a favorite topic, unaware that the listener might not be interested, needs to leave, is bored, or wants to say something. AS children will also interrupt private conversations and enter or leave abruptly without concern for the wishes or needs of others. They seem oblivious to the simplest rules of social conduct, and repeated efforts to instruct them or remind them do not change these behaviors. A pronounced lack of social awareness is not a common characteristic of ordinary gifted children. It is this struggle to understand the simplest social guidelines that frequently makes active participation in secondary gifted programs such a challenge for gifted students with AS (Szatmari, Bartolucci, & Bremner, 1989; Tantam, 1988; Wing, 1992; Wing & Gould, 1979).

The difficulties of identifying gifted AS individuals are compounded by the variations found among AS children. Stereotypy, for example, is observed in some, but not all AS children. Twisting hands, opening and closing a book, rocking, knocking, and whirling are examples of stereotypy that are sometimes, though not always, observed in AS children. When stereotypy is observed in a gifted child, however, a diagnosis of AS or another pervasive developmental disorder may be warranted and merits further examination (APA, 1994).

I'm not sure that 'interupting private conversation' between one's parents is all that unusual amoung our more anxious gifties. ((shrug))

I do think that one needs to be on the look out for an angry or anxious or depressed gifted child who doesn't follow the social rules out of frustration or because they have found that negative attention is better than no attention. My son has a friend who is content to 'just be a part of the crowd,' and we think that this is terrific, but it feels like 'a fate worse than death' to my DS. Now that he is 12 this has been tempered by experience, but it was still going strong at age 10.

Our little gifties have a wide range of personalities. You mentioned earlier that your son was content to learn on his own. This is a tough on for my son, and I think that that is an 'Introvert/Extrovert' issue, so be sure to look up articles on Introverts (who can be quite gabby at home with their dear ones, but essentially find their inner world much, much more interesting and 'real' than the outer world.) See more 'Myers Briggs.'

At about the same age that you son was speculating that reality might all be a dream, mine was explaining patiently to me that his friend didn't have 'little voices' in their heads. Although I was mortified and held my contrary position, he gave examples of how a child might be angry and say something one playdate, but forget all about it the next playdate. Looking back on that conversation, I have a lot more sympathy with his feelings of loneliness at being the only 4 year old at the daycare with a 'little voice.' I think that if I knew then what I know now I would tell him that 'little voices' wake up at different ages for different children. So yes, I do think that PG kids who spend hours and hours of their early years with ND kids have an extra hurdle to get over in forming a positive social worldview.

But of course, many of the people who changed the world for the better, had to 'not really care' what other people thought, yes?

Sorry if I've wandered way way off topic,
    Grinity

Barbara #34003 01/04/09 06:47 AM
    Originally Posted by Barbara
    Based on some social interaction things, I'm starting to wonder if DS9 is somewhere on the Asperger's spectrum. Is his unawareness of social cues just him being hyperfocused, or would more "teaching" be helpful.

Just musing here, but a little light went off recently and I'm starting research.

Thanks for any insights or thoughts on the topic!

My completely uneducated response would be 'Yes'. Yes, he could just be hyperfocused, a trait that is part of perseverance, as well as stubbornness. So, my thoughts are you have to help him learn the proper social responses and interactions so his ability to hyperfocus becomes a benefit to himself and others.
    It could be very useful to look into Aspergers, you may find ways to guide him, whether he has Aspergers or not.

OHGrandma #34011 01/04/09 10:05 AM
    B
    Barbara Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Thank you so much for your responses. They were so kind and thoughtful.

DS9 is not now in a full time public school - at his totally distressed request we pulled him out last year, so at the moment there are no teachers or administators mentioning diagnoses at us - though there were while he was in school, mostly ADHD.

My concern for him is that although is in an extrovert (my earlier description of learning on his own was probably due to lack of peers ...) and has never met a kid who wasn't his "friend" (truly) he is only truly attached to DH, DS6 and I. And it's like he's in a "bubble" when it comes to social cues.

We had him assessed at age 5 and was told "he's a nice, bright boy, maybe skip half of kindergarten" and put him at a total score of 128.

Well, this fall he scored in the median of 10th grade in the Math MAP and 7th grade in reading (down from much higher last year I think because the two tests were 5 minutes apart oops) and I'm thinking it would be helpful to have another assessment.

blather blather blather

I just want the best for him, you all know how that goes.

He did speculate the other day that black holes were causative in the spinning of galaxies. Does that make him exceptional? I have no idea - he's just my kid.

Last edited by Barbara; 01/04/09 10:21 AM.
    Barbara #34013 01/04/09 10:34 AM
    I think it's normal for 9 year old boy social interactions to look really really superficial to their moms.

But do say more about exactly what this 'social cue bubble' is, ok?

I think the idea of teaching him stuff about social cues is a good one, independent of if he does or doesn't have a particular diagnosis.

Also, call the MAP test folks and ask them for their most detailed test results report, explaining that you are homeschooling him and want to use the MAP to give you an idea for curriculum planning.

Sounds like an assesment is in order to evaluate the social skill issue and help with planning his education. I would strongly suggest also signing up for the Explore test through the talent search and seeing if you can get an idea of LOG.

I figure that a strong Math student could be doing Algebra I in 7th or 8th grade. Have you tried him on Algebra? In the end, if he is healtily learning at the rate of a highly gifted kid, then he is a highly gifted kid, no matter what the test scores say.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #34014 01/04/09 10:56 AM
    B
    Barbara Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    I figure that a strong Math student could be doing Algebra I in 7th or 8th grade. Have you tried him on Algebra? In the end, if he is healtily learning at the rate of a highly gifted kid, then he is a highly gifted kid, no matter what the test scores say.
    Grinity

He is enjoying algebra with his dad.

We took the 3rd grade CTY in November (didn't know you could ask to do higher...) and he missed one in math and two in verbal. So, 99+% of 5th grade. I haven't figured out a way to do the Explore test as it goes through the schools? Is that right? And our local schools (as near as I can tell without asking specifically which I will do) don't do the Explore.

Social cues that he misses are not interrupting either verbally or physically and respecting an orderly progression (like lines for things) that's what I mean by "bubble".

I'm probably way over analyzing this most likely "normal" behavior as he really doesn't exhibit any other truly overt Asperger like traits.

Barbara #34016 01/04/09 12:20 PM
    Originally Posted by Barbara
    Social cues that he misses are not interrupting either verbally or physically and respecting an orderly progression (like lines for things) that's what I mean by "bubble".

So the obvious thing to try would be to make a cartoon of kids lining up and showing a child who 'cuts' in line, and asking your son what the child is doing and if it is wrong. Ask him what the other kids in the picture are thinking. I think the first thing to find out is if he doesn't know or he know and can't control himself, or if he knows and doesn't care. One behavior can have lots of different stuff going on beneath it.

As for the interupting, well, I've seen in my son and a few other gifties that they fear that they will forget what they are going to say. I think that the overexcitabilities and anxiety can also drive the intensity of the fear of forgetting what one was going to say.

Just some ideas...
    Best Wishes,
    Grinity

ienjoysoup #34028 01/04/09 04:17 PM
    Also there was a lot of discussion about creative play. ("Does he play with little toys and give make them talk to each other?")

Soup (or anyone else who knows): I didn't quite understand the point here. Is the presence of creative play an indicator of Asperger's or of its absence? I'd have assumed that it's pretty normal, but I just want to make sure. A constantly recurring episode in our house involves DS4 dragging several toys or stuffed animals into the room and demanding: "Daddy, let them talk!" (As if every object in the house is brimming with words, if only you could set the release valve properly!)

BaseballDad #34031 01/04/09 04:53 PM
    Imaginative play is normal, BBDad. No worries! smile

Kriston
    Kriston #34035 01/04/09 05:37 PM
    Thanks, Kriston. I sort of assumed so, but if you haven't noticed I have a bit of an active imagination myself. I feel a bit like those medical school students who diagnose themselves with a new disease every time one is presented in class...

BaseballDad #34040 01/04/09 06:14 PM
    LOL! I have no idea what you mean.

(Yeah, right!)

Kriston
    BaseballDad #34044 01/04/09 07:46 PM
    Originally Posted by BaseballDad
    "Daddy, let them talk!" (As if every object in the house is brimming with words, if only you could set the release valve properly!)

Love that image! One of my 'bordom busters' as a tween was imagining what the furnature would say if it could talk. It helped me through those 'must be quiet' moments.

Suprised I didn't start an 'equal rights for inanamate objects movement.' ((Giggle))

Smiles,
    Grinity

Grinity #34058 01/05/09 05:42 AM
    A
    A
    My older son just got diagnosed as mild Autism at the school. I have questions about the diagnosis, but I have come to a realization...if he presents similar difficulties to an autistic kid (social issues, problems with displaying anger correctly, etc), then the therapies created to help the autistic children might help my son.

BaseballDad #34077 01/05/09 09:53 AM
    Originally Posted by BaseballDad
    Also there was a lot of discussion about creative play. ("Does he play with little toys and give make them talk to each other?")

Soup (or anyone else who knows): I didn't quite understand the point here. Is the presence of creative play an indicator of Asperger's or of its absence? I'd have assumed that it's pretty normal, but I just want to make sure. A constantly recurring episode in our house involves DS4 dragging several toys or stuffed animals into the room and demanding: "Daddy, let them talk!" (As if every object in the house is brimming with words, if only you could set the release valve properly!)

I'm not sure either....... but 3 out of the 3 doctors asked?

I may be wrong, but maybe they were trying to rule something else in or out? not really sure..... personally, I really don't know much about aspergars.... although i do know a lot about autism. The people i knew with autism had some level of creativity. It was odd, but still creativity is supposed to be...lol the odder the better, right?

ienjoysoup #34079 01/05/09 09:58 AM
    now i am re-thinking what I just wrote.... I guess making little dolls or stuffed animals talk to each other is a kids way of practicing social interaction.

The two animals talk to each other- animal one says "I like cheese" animal two say "Me too!" animal one and 2 go to the cheese store..... this is social interaction

Aspergars kids may not do this. Sort of makes sense.

Grinity #34087 01/05/09 01:06 PM
    I would not leave this in the school system's hands by any means, or even mention your worries to them.

This is a good thread, the article you posted was really good, thanks Grinity.

I guess I am on the fence about this 'not leaving this in the school system's hands'. Seems like they could be in a position to help... but I also see how it could lead to closed doors rather than opened ones.
    I am considering working with our school for an assessment of possible ld with my ds8, but I am wondering how badly it could go, if anyone feels like sharing.

ienjoysoup #34090 01/05/09 02:27 PM
    Originally Posted by ienjoysoup
    They kept asking me if he had "catch phrases", responces he would say over and over (He doesn't). Also there was a lot of discussion about creative play. ("Does he play with little toys and give make them talk to each other?")

I am not sure if this is helpful to you. But I hope so.

enjoy,

I have not finished reading this entire thread so if my question is a duplicate I do apologize but the above quote peaked my interest b/c my DD 28 mth old is very imaginative in her play with everything including imaginary creatures. And she does have them talk to each other. IE she will be holding baby panda and baby hops (little stuffed animals) and they will be playing with each other and than one picks a fight and the other starts crying and the bad one gets put in a time out and than he has to apologize and the game is started all over again. She also has catch phrases but I would say that has more to do with my mom and teaching her 'cute' catch phrases such as 'Oh dear'.

So my question is how does the above relate to asperger? In the pretend play I see it more as showing empathy than not understanding it but by the questions you posted she would fit into the category.

just as I suspected, the topic was further discussed so please don't bother responding to my above post.

Dottie #34096 01/05/09 03:23 PM
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    I think the questions being asked of Soup were of the "rule out" variety...making sure he did have that "normal" level of imaginative play. Was that your take as well Soup?

Yeah I think so.

ienjoysoup #34198 01/06/09 01:02 PM
    My child with AS is on the mild side of the spectrum, and I do want to remind people that it is a spectrum disorder that affects people to different degrees. DS 20 can often pass for "normal" but he usually appears very awkward and people can mistake his lack of awareness of non verbal interactions as rudeness.

As a boy, DS had low muscle tone, flapped his arms when excited, and had very scripted ideas about play. He'd want to reenact exact scenes from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and did not appreciate ad libbing. He allowed me to dress his lego figures but not to make them say things. He used to interject lines from favorite video games into conversation, not understanding that the lines were not familiar to others and had no meaning to them. He once hugged a store clerk who had been helpful, and had no idea when a person was done talking to him. He's come a long, long way, but he will always be different.

Lorel #34222 01/06/09 03:45 PM
    Originally Posted by Lorel
    did not appreciate ad libbing.

I think this is exactly what they were looking for

ienjoysoup #34289 01/07/09 08:02 AM
    S
    S
    I wrote a fairly lengthy response to this yesterday but I guess I forgot to click on submit. Anyhow, I have experience as a mental health professional in working with children with Aspergers, and have diagnosed it in the past. However I did not have training in children that were HG and didn't know anything about that until my DS4 was about 2 years old. So I would imagine there are some professionals that don't see all the traits and quirks of HG children and could misdiagnose. There are times where it is hard to distinguish...but there are clear criteria that need to be met in order to have Aspergers. It's not just a lack of some social skills or poor eye contact. I just wanted to say that because even though your child may have traits it doesn't mean they have it. And they could also meet the criteria for mild AS there is a big range. I would suggest that you look for someone that does have experience in working with gifted children as well in order to distinguish, and also someone that is knowledgable about Aspergers. When my DS was three his pre-k teacher said that she felt he had something on the autism spectrum because she had never seen a child that bright that didn't have some sort of disorder. No joke. I was extremely knowledgable about AS and didn't feel that he had it at all...however I figured that it wouldn't hurt to have him evaluated and may answer questions for other teachers in the future. We had him evaluated by a developmental pediatrician who specializes in Aspergers, and he was very sure that DS did not fit the criteria. But that being said my DS does have poor eye contact at times, he used to spin as a toddler for fun, he is sound sensitive, and he does not really pretend play barely at all. He is very literal about things. However he has good social skills and enjoys asking about and finding out about others and their interests. He has a good sense of humor, he does not perseverate on things, he does not go on and on about subjects and seems to be able to tell when others aren't interested, he does pick up on social cues from others. Anyhow, just wanted to share our experience and hope that you get the answers you are looking for.

shellymos #34357 01/07/09 05:42 PM
    M
    M
    My daughter does have gifted aspergers. The singular thing that I found most helpful in underdstand aspergers, particularly gifted aspergers is an article called Giftedness and Asperger's Syndrome: A New agenda for Education, maybe this will work if not google the title

http://www.cec.sped.org/AM/Template...CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&CONTENTID=4171

It has two great tables that I like, especially Table 2 which specifically lists characteristics of gifted children and characteristics of gifted children with aspergers and compares the two. It was only when family read this article and understood this that they could see that my DD is actually an aspie. Much of the information written about aspergers is about aspergers in general and not geared toward gifted aspergers and there truely is a difference and that difference definately delayed my daughters diagnoses. there are tests that are specifically geared toward gifted aspergers children where they may pass a standard evaluation. My daughter passed all the standard speech therapy tests with high scores and completely bombs tests specific to aspergers children with gifted IQs.

The other thing to remember is that social characteristics of aspergers will become more pronounced with age without intervention. They will also begin to show in English Language arts for instance when a child doesn't understand inference meaning and may struggle with fiction. I could go on and on but better stop there, you get the idea.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    melmichigan #34380 01/07/09 07:45 PM
    S
    S
    Wow, that is a great article. Thanks so much for sharing! I plan to share it with other mental health clinicians that I have worked with and school officials that I currently work with. Very good information!

shellymos #34394 01/08/09 07:43 AM
    yeah that is a great article! thank you

ienjoysoup #34395 01/08/09 08:09 AM
    A
    A
    Thank you for the awesome article.:) I have sent it to the kids' special ed teachers.

Artana #34439 01/08/09 03:42 PM
    Hi, I tried to ask this earlier; now I really need a response smile I started the process to have ds checked out for possible ld (maybe auditory processing disorder, maybe other stuff??). I have a good lead on a neuropsychologist, but it was also suggested to me to speak with the pediatrician first. I met with the ped last night. She was really understanding, commented that some of the issues ds and I related could be due to being gifted.
    Issues related: boredom/daydreaming in class, rote memorization issues with math facts, having trouble making friends - granted we did change schools this year - very high energy (bouncing off the walls at times), and the big one, what appears to be an inability to hear in certain white-noise settings (car, computer lab).
    She said it would be extremely rare for a child with excellent school behavior to show up as adhd, but might as well do this Vanderbilt scale sheet for parents and teacher to fill out. At first I was freaking out, now I am more ok and think the bit about thinking in terms of his age and the last 6 months helps keep me from thinking of his issues as 'very often'.

Also, she is recommending a developmental pediatrician, so I will likely make an appointment for that soon. She said that this dev. ped. would look more closely at the possibility of asperger's, but to not freak out on that either because a good bit of social ability can be learned - maybe he just needs the therapy wink Lord knows I am probably not the best 'social butterfly' example a kid could have.

I would say that in general it seems like issues he's had with memory, high energy, etc. seem to be getting gradually better over the last few years.

I thought that if this other ped. thinks we need more full assessment he/she would at that point likely have us go to the neuropsychologist and from there possibly the audiologist.

However, lastly, she said get the school involved for the ld testing (audiologist, etc).
    I think it was Grinity who warned against involving the school at all...
    Now I am really wondering what negative experiences could I run into if we involve the school?
    Are you mainly referring to misdiagnosis (due to lack of recognition of some of the overlap of gt flags w/symptoms of aspergers, etc.) ?
    I feel pretty well warned about that ....but I don't know how they make the diagnosis and call for additional services for a child. frown
    Very confused.
    If I couch this in very specific 'auditory processing issue' terms would they test for just that?
    Also wondering if I can't just ignore the whole thing and it will go away... wink
    not too down about it, but wanting some input from those who've gone down this path.
    Thanks!

chris1234 #34446 01/08/09 04:12 PM
    M
    M
    My personal experience, and it is just that, with my daughter was this...I wasted my time going to the school before I had an outside eval. done. Unless there is a financial problem or a testing problem ,I would get an outside eval done and then approach the school. First because an outside eval is going to be much more extensive. We spent five days some of which were 4 hour days testing and discussing results with the pediatric psychologist that did my daughters testing. The school spent and hour for one session and about a half hour on another aspect, done. Yes, they will do their testing but then you already have an understanding of what is going on and what you want to advocate for. Secondly, the school district did testing last year, limited testing at best and decided that my daughter was fine based on those tests. The CASL test is commonly used and is a very poor test with gifted children. Because of there intelligence they often test above average on this test which in the case of Aspergers can be very misleading and just plain wrong. My daughter was denied services which is when we had an outside eval done. After much prodding the school purchased the PLSI test this year. It accurately states that my daughter tests in the poor to below average range in pragmatic language skill and, fingers crossed, according to the speech therapist should receive services this year.
    I also discovered that the people who are supposed to understand aspergers don't necessarily understand gifted aspergers. That would be my reasoning. May I ask, how old is your son?

melmichigan #34450 01/08/09 04:36 PM
    Thanks for the response - my ds is 8.5, 3rd grade. He is doing really well in school, with the exceptions noted above. He came really close to getting an s- in technology last year; after observing the class I held off on being overly concerned about things because I could definitely see why a kid could fall asleep in the low humming, warmish room with a soft-spoken teacher repeating things. you. already. know. zzzz...

But more and more, I think he really does have a hard time hearing or at least understanding me in the car, so I began thinking differently about his slow behavior in tech. lab.

The social thing has gone on for a while and seems to be less severe now that he has a couple of kids from his gt program that he seems to relate to ok. Time will tell more on that front. After reading this thread and related articles I have strong doubts he would turn up with Aspergers but it was mentioned in the consultation.

chris1234 #34451 01/08/09 04:52 PM
    M
    M
    I just wanted to add that while we have all said that some of the social skills problems that you see in aspergers can be seen in lesser degrees in some gifted children and be completely "normal", if there is such a thing, I would also like to stress the following- Just because a child doesn't have aspergers doesn't mean that they may not benefit from social skills teaching. I don't want to forget that. Someone told me that it doesn't matter as much the diagnoses as long as the childs needs are met.

melmichigan #34463 01/08/09 07:47 PM
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by melmichigan
    Just because a child doesn't have aspergers doesn't mean that they may not benefit from social skills teaching. I don't want to forget that. Someone told me that it doesn't matter as much the diagnoses as long as the childs needs are met.

I totally agree, even though my DS doesn't have a diagnosis and doesn't meet the criteria I still focus on doing some things that don't come naturally to him and challenge him in those ways (ie: eye contact when he is talking with someone and looking off into space, pretend play, some social skills in playing with peers, etc.) It's not like he doesn't have those skills at all, but it's helpful to build those skills up. I teach social skills to children all day long that don't have diagnoses, it's just good to learn those skills, and especially to start at an early age when you can.

chris1234 #35999 01/24/09 05:53 AM
    Originally Posted by chris1234
    Hi, I tried to ask this earlier; now I really need a response smile I started the process to have ds checked out for possible ld (maybe auditory processing disorder, maybe other stuff??). I have a good lead on a neuropsychologist, but it was also suggested to me to speak with the pediatrician first. I met with the ped last night. She was really understanding, commented that some of the issues ds and I related could be due to being gifted.
    However, lastly, she said get the school involved for the ld testing (audiologist, etc).
    I think it was Grinity who warned against involving the school at all...
    Now I am really wondering what negative experiences could I run into if we involve the school?
    Are you mainly referring to misdiagnosis (due to lack of recognition of some of the overlap of gt flags w/symptoms of aspergers, etc.) ?
    Hi chris#!

Oh for pete's sake! finally someone finds a pediatrician who gets that 'poor classroom fit = poor behavior' at just the moment you weren't looking for 'that kind of support!'

I would definitly follow up with the neuropsychologist and an audiologist who does a lot of testing for CAPD. I paid out of pocket to get a CAPD test from an audiologist last summer. The folks at the testing center thought I was nuts when I called asking to spend my own money, but I explained that given my son's 'above grade level' performance in school that I would rather spend the money for the test privatly, than spend the energy trying to get the school to do as I asked. I was my charming best, and got an appointment, and an assesment, and the tester threw in that my son 'certianly didn't act during testing the way the other kids who are there to rule out CAPD caused 'ADHD-like' behavior' act but of course quickly added that she isn't qualified to diagnosis ADHD. She thought that DS12 was charming and hard working and compliant - and she was with him for several hours. And she ruled out hearing or CAPD problems. DS12 is a great kid, but he certianly has his moments. Apparently strong willed and asynchrouous development are enough to make a kid look like an SOB in a poor fit school setting. (( Is there a positive spin word substitute for SOB? I really can't call my son that, can I? He's nice at home....))

Now - as far as Parent Rating Scales. I have a beef with them. I found out the hard way that it is impossible for a parent, who is also gifted, and perhaps also OverExcitable, and perhaps also meticulous about telling the truth and a has a very strong and long memory and maybe a bit on the 'dramatic' side to fill out these scales accurately. Between our Inner-Directed Perfectionism and our Outter-Driected Perfectionism, it's really difficult to ask us to do a parent rating scale that isn't normed to other Gifted Parents. That's my position and I'm sticking to it!

I would encourage any parent who has to fill out one of these to put on their "If I were of average intelligence, how would I view this situation?" hat while filling out one of these 'Parent Scales' and to look at the results with a grain of salt, oK? I really would love to see these parent scales 'renormed' for parents like us!

As for warning against involving the school, I don't remember anything about that right this minute. If you can pull up a quote, I'll try to explain. Most of my ideas are very context related. My only hard and fast rule is - there is no hard and fast rule!

Big question is - all this stuff costs money. Have you got it for this kind of 'investment?' If you don't, then you have to go through the school. If you can afford it, or get the insurance to pay some, I would just do what the pediatrician reccomends. Do something, yes?

Your pedi sounds quite wise to me!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Grinity #36003 01/24/09 06:34 AM
    (( Is there a positive spin word substitute for SOB? I really can't call my son that, can I? He's nice at home....))

LOL! Well, given what it means you're saying about yourself, I think I'd find another option. grin

"Creep" is usually my word of choice for those moments. At least it places the blame for the behavior on him instead of casting aspersions on me!

Kriston
    Grinity #36004 01/24/09 06:57 AM
    Grinity - thanks for responding, didn't mean to throw down the gauntlet or anything smile smile

Yes, our pediatrician is pretty darn good, thankfully. She is the same dr. who sent us to the emergency room after a couple days of very serious illness this summer with Ds - again, thankfully, I think she headed off a very dramatic case of dehydration and saved ds' body some real damage! Also, she is pretty young and I think that helps too.
    Looks like we are in some luck on insurance, so I am going ahead with developmental ped. appt. this next week (I also posted to another thread, bad form, I've cut my posts in 2 on this subject frown

Anyway, I think it was the '68 point diff between GAI and...' thread, 2e area.

It is funny you should say this: "I really would love to see these parent scales 'renormed' for parents like us!"
    I did go through this horrible first reaction of 'Omg! He is 'very very often' on the first 15 or so symptoms!!' Then I re-read about look only at 6 months, consider the kids age, and I was able to back down the drama considerable. I absolutely tried to be honest, but you're right, I just did my best in the end. I imagine the teacher' scale might unconsciously hold more weight with the doc...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM