Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Kriston #34035 01/04/09 05:37 PM
    Thanks, Kriston. I sort of assumed so, but if you haven't noticed I have a bit of an active imagination myself. I feel a bit like those medical school students who diagnose themselves with a new disease every time one is presented in class...

BaseballDad #34040 01/04/09 06:14 PM
    LOL! I have no idea what you mean.

(Yeah, right!)

Kriston
    BaseballDad #34044 01/04/09 07:46 PM
    Originally Posted by BaseballDad
    "Daddy, let them talk!" (As if every object in the house is brimming with words, if only you could set the release valve properly!)

Love that image! One of my 'bordom busters' as a tween was imagining what the furnature would say if it could talk. It helped me through those 'must be quiet' moments.

Suprised I didn't start an 'equal rights for inanamate objects movement.' ((Giggle))

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #34058 01/05/09 05:42 AM
    A
    A
    My older son just got diagnosed as mild Autism at the school. I have questions about the diagnosis, but I have come to a realization...if he presents similar difficulties to an autistic kid (social issues, problems with displaying anger correctly, etc), then the therapies created to help the autistic children might help my son.

BaseballDad #34077 01/05/09 09:53 AM
    Originally Posted by BaseballDad
    Also there was a lot of discussion about creative play. ("Does he play with little toys and give make them talk to each other?")

Soup (or anyone else who knows): I didn't quite understand the point here. Is the presence of creative play an indicator of Asperger's or of its absence? I'd have assumed that it's pretty normal, but I just want to make sure. A constantly recurring episode in our house involves DS4 dragging several toys or stuffed animals into the room and demanding: "Daddy, let them talk!" (As if every object in the house is brimming with words, if only you could set the release valve properly!)

I'm not sure either....... but 3 out of the 3 doctors asked?

I may be wrong, but maybe they were trying to rule something else in or out? not really sure..... personally, I really don't know much about aspergars.... although i do know a lot about autism. The people i knew with autism had some level of creativity. It was odd, but still creativity is supposed to be...lol the odder the better, right?

ienjoysoup #34079 01/05/09 09:58 AM
    now i am re-thinking what I just wrote.... I guess making little dolls or stuffed animals talk to each other is a kids way of practicing social interaction.

The two animals talk to each other- animal one says "I like cheese" animal two say "Me too!" animal one and 2 go to the cheese store..... this is social interaction

Aspergars kids may not do this. Sort of makes sense.

Grinity #34087 01/05/09 01:06 PM
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    I would not leave this in the school system's hands by any means, or even mention your worries to them.

This is a good thread, the article you posted was really good, thanks Grinity.

I guess I am on the fence about this 'not leaving this in the school system's hands'. Seems like they could be in a position to help... but I also see how it could lead to closed doors rather than opened ones.
    I am considering working with our school for an assessment of possible ld with my ds8, but I am wondering how badly it could go, if anyone feels like sharing.

ienjoysoup #34090 01/05/09 02:27 PM
    Originally Posted by ienjoysoup
    They kept asking me if he had "catch phrases", responces he would say over and over (He doesn't). Also there was a lot of discussion about creative play. ("Does he play with little toys and give make them talk to each other?")

I am not sure if this is helpful to you. But I hope so.

enjoy,

I have not finished reading this entire thread so if my question is a duplicate I do apologize but the above quote peaked my interest b/c my DD 28 mth old is very imaginative in her play with everything including imaginary creatures. And she does have them talk to each other. IE she will be holding baby panda and baby hops (little stuffed animals) and they will be playing with each other and than one picks a fight and the other starts crying and the bad one gets put in a time out and than he has to apologize and the game is started all over again. She also has catch phrases but I would say that has more to do with my mom and teaching her 'cute' catch phrases such as 'Oh dear'.

So my question is how does the above relate to asperger? In the pretend play I see it more as showing empathy than not understanding it but by the questions you posted she would fit into the category.

just as I suspected, the topic was further discussed so please don't bother responding to my above post.

Dottie #34096 01/05/09 03:23 PM
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    I think the questions being asked of Soup were of the "rule out" variety...making sure he did have that "normal" level of imaginative play. Was that your take as well Soup?

Yeah I think so.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...