Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 105 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #33950 01/02/09 09:41 PM
    OP Offline
    Okay, inspired by Chris1234.............

I just started reading the Edison Trait. Anyone else read that one? Thoughts?

I'm just in the beginning chapters, but is seems to be written about DD6. I even see DD8 a little, although, she is just not as overt about publicly displaying her "Edison traits"!

That looks like a good one, 'neato. I'll try to check that one out, since i'm number 23 on the waiting list at the library for Outliers!

B
    B
    I first found that book when DS9 was 6. I found it extremely enlightening, and was maybe the first time I realized that my "different" child was just that - different.

I took the book round to all the teachers, adminstrators and anyone else associated with my son and they all smiled, nodded, said "wow, that's really interesting" and of course, nothing changed.

The book is now called "Dreamers, Discovers and Dynamos" maybe the "Edison Trait" was too scary or something!

Barbara #33960 01/03/09 10:13 AM
    OP Offline
    Thanks for the tip. I was debating with myself whether or not I should buy one for her teacher. I suspected your result..

smile

That would be sad if the title was changed for that reason. frown

B
    B
    It's probably something as benign as changing publishers and the "new" title was catchier.

I really enjoyed the book though.

Barbara #33970 01/03/09 12:40 PM
    Actually, I was thinking it might be that they were probably hoping to attract those with GT denial. I would never have thought of DS7 as "another Edison," and so I might have passed by the book. But a discoverer? Yeah, that I can see!

Optimistically yours,

K-

wink

Kriston
    Kriston #33984 01/03/09 03:37 PM
    Cool! I had this one on my list about a year ago but never got around to it, I will definitely be checking it out - thanks for the reminder! smile
    I almost always have to order stuff like this to be sent to my library, since our library is so teeny.

Dottie #33986 01/03/09 03:53 PM
    found it finally on the library site; just a typo in the title above that threw me off...I copied and pasted it and thought, oh my county doesn't have it frown
    but then I tried via amazon and
    thought I would post the amazon link/title for anyone fishing around for it. (let me know if it isn't the right one!)
    I didn't buy, but it did help me find it on the library site.

http://www.amazon.com/Dreamers-Discoverers-Dynamos-Problems-Formerly/dp/0345405730/ref=pd_sim_b_2
    Dreamers, discoverers, & dynamos : how to help the child who is bright, bored, and having problems in school / Lucy Jo Palladino.

I almost never buy books, and hardly ever new ones at that - I mentioned Outliers to DH and he just turned up with it for me the next day... I was like "what's this?" a book I don't have to remember to return somewhere? It's kind of nice every once in a while, but they can get sooo expensive!
    smile

W
    W
    That is a wonderful book - I wanted to warn you all that you may want your own copy to make notes in, etc. My DD8's gifted teacher loaned me her copy, which prompted me to buy my own when I was repeatedly tempted to underline or highlight, etc. My DD8 is totally a dreamer with a little discoverer thrown in and a sprinkle of dynamo (when the topic is something she is interested in). You're right - it was the first time I realized that she was different than the other gifted kids.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by chris1234
    found it finally on the library site; just a typo in the title above that threw me off...I copied and pasted it and thought, oh my county doesn't have it frown
    but then I tried via amazon and
    thought I would post the amazon link/title for anyone fishing around for it. (let me know if it isn't the right one!)
    I didn't buy, but it did help me find it on the library site.

http://www.amazon.com/Dreamers-Discoverers-Dynamos-Problems-Formerly/dp/0345405730/ref=pd_sim_b_2
    Dreamers, discoverers, & dynamos : how to help the child who is bright, bored, and having problems in school / Lucy Jo Palladino.

sorry for the earlier typo - DS6 was bumping my shoulder

I found a couple copies (one for $1.25!) on www.half.com if anyone wants to check it out
    search under Lucy Jo Palladino

Last edited by Barbara; 01/03/09 07:13 PM.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM