Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 387 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #33784 12/31/08 01:46 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I am sorry, just a short vent. I am just so sick and tired of having to spend so much time and energy to get what any parent wants for their child. You would think in a county as advanced as we are supposed to be that we could do a lot better than this with our children! I am just so worn out and practically in tears again because it can be so wearring on a person. We are still fighting with the school, trying to get services for my daughter. We are also trying to come up with the $20-$30/hr to have her tutored in written expression because the school district won't do anything to help because she is "so smart anyway". I am just amazed at our stupidity as a nation when it comes to education. Better stop now, her advocate said I'm having an emotional day, what an understatement! Good thing today isn't a school day, the teacher is having a break down, kidding but definately not my day to try and teach anything. Best wishes to everyone in the new year, may we see what we need to see happen for our children.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    Oh! So sorry for your bad day! {{{Hugs}}}

Are there other options that might cost less? How about partial homeschooling? Or afterschooling?

There are more reasonably priced home education writing programs available. www.bravewriter.com comes to mind immediately. It's a bit too touchy-feely for my tastes as a former teacher of argument, but if you want a creative writing program, it's excellent. Other distance learning programs might also be possibilities.

I could probably find some resources for you if you want them. Since writing is my strong suit, I haven't investigated much. But I could ask in a couple of places and come up with other options for you, I'm sure.

My point is that there may be other ways to solve your problem, if you're interested.

Either way, hang in there. frown smile

Kriston
    I
    I
    It sounds like a good cry may be in order and I'll join you cry cry cry cry

Now that's out of the way, so we can move on to resolutions. Let's resolve to channel our emotional energy into a powerful driving force for the new year!

inky #33791 12/31/08 02:37 PM
    I don't know if you made MelMI smile, but your "I'll join you" made me smile, Inky! laugh Nice!

Kriston
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you! I knew someone would understand.

I would LOVE any suggestions for writing programs. My daughter is testing below grade level in writing. I am at a loss as to how to teach writing. We pulled our kids this school year and I haven't begun writing much with my younger kids so any kind of writing programs would be great. (My younger daughter may very well be an aspie like her older sister.) My older daughter tests at mid 3rd grade writing abillity and my younger dd's would just be starting out.

Wait, so how old are they? I always forget the ages of kids. blush

(Just call me Spock, the insensitive... I forget birthdays and names, too, I'm afraid!)

Kriston
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Sorry, we must have crossed in posting...

No, I'm just confused. (What else is new, right? LOL!)

So you mean K by "just starting out"? She's in K as well as performing at a K level? And your 3rd grade performer is in 3rd grade?

I'd just like to try to find a program appropriate both for age AND ability, if possible. So I like to know both.

Of course, at that level, you might be able to handle it yourself for free. I'd be happy to help you here. But at that age, it's pretty low stress.

It's a free option, at least, though you won't hurt my feelings at all if you refuse. smile Many people really need a curriculum to feel confident, and I appreciate that. But for most elementary school-aged kids, just writing every day is pretty much what they need. Talk about main ideas. Talk about sentence structure. Have them draft something one day, revise their writing the next, then polish spelling and grammar on the third day.

Dinner is ready, so I need to go, but I can write more later if you want more. Or I can just hunt for stuff. Let me know what you'd prefer. smile

Kriston
    M
    M
    Do you know the Ralph Fletcher books, Mel? They are very inexpensive ($4.99-$5.99 each when I got them), designed for young-ish kids (says 8-12 on the cover), and have a very appealing (to me, anyway) tone--Fletcher treats children as serious, capable young writers--they're very un-patronizing.

The books are called:

-"How Writers Work: Finding a Process that Works for You" (some chapter titles: Brainstorming, Breaking the Ice: Getting Started, Going with the Flow, Rereading, Revision: Radical Surgery, etc.)

-"Live Writing: Breathing Life into Your Words (strategies, ideas, and tips to fuel you for a lifetime of writing)" (some chapter titles: The Writer's Toolbox, Reading Like a Writer, Building Character, Voice: Connecting with the Reader, etc.)

-"A Writer's Notebook: Unlocking the Writer Within You" (some chapter titles: What is a Writer's Notebook Anyway? Seed Ideas, Mind Pictures, Snatches of Talk, Lists, Memories, etc.)

-"Poetry Matters: Writing a Poem from the Inside Out" (some chapter titles: Image, Poem Sparks: What to Write About, Wordplay, A Few Words About Form)

I don't know if this is anything like what you're looking for (and I'm sure Kriston will have lots of ideas!), but maybe this might be a place to have a quick look.

He has a website, let's see if I can find the address...

Aahh, it's an easy one-- www.ralphfletcher.com
    On his site, he has a page of tips for young writers, some teacher handouts (things like lists of recommended books, quotes about writing, etc.), and also an invitation to young writers to e-mail him questions about their writing (sounds like a nice guy!).

Anyway, hope that helps a bit.

peace
    minnie

Mia Offline
    A lot of people swear by Handwriting Without Tears ... might be one to check out.

I feel your pain!

Mia
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM