Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #32886 12/16/08 02:49 PM
    Jool Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I'm trying to get DS6 (in second grade after 1st grade skip) more challenging math. I requested that "present levels of educational performance" be assessed before the meeting. He was given the Grade 2 math end-of-book assessment and scored 82% and the Grade 2 Math Placement Test (for 3rd) and scored 88%. I was told that they did not test him further in math because the "rule" is that you have to score 90% to go further in the assessment. So he did not have any out of grade level testing. According to the gifted laws in our state, present levels of educational performance estimates are required in order to take the individual needs of the child into account when coming up with an IEP. Anyhow, under the "specially designed instruction" section it says "...will participate in small group differentiated instruction with the classroom teacher using "enrichment" and "beyond level" materials and activities provided by the reading/language and mathematics programs (3 times per week). I asked what specifically they would be doing and was told that the teacher already does this. confused I said that the math he brings home is too easy. Teacher (well-meaning) says that she has been giving DS and some other math-talented kids in the class enrichment activities in the classroom. DS tells me that on rare occasions he gets something a little bit harder than the rest of the class but he wants it to be harder. The principal was curious as to why I needed the specifics about what he will be doing for enrichment activities. Again, I stated that what he brings home is too easy. The team chimed in and says that in second grade, homework is designed to reinforce what they already know (after all, they are so young) and I can't judge how he is being challenged from the homework. The team made me feel like I was out of line by requesting the specifics for what he would be learning in math. Anyhow, my questions are...
    1. Was the outcome of this meeting as lame as I think it was? I am willing to acknowledge if I am asking for too much or I am being unrealistic.
    2. Should I go to due process to get the district to take my request seriously? At this point DS6 is happy overall, except for being underchallenged in math. If I go to due process I do risk an adversarial attitude from the district. So far, DS has had caring, well-meaning teachers but my fear is that they will start putting DS into classes with difficult teachers to "punish me".
    3. Am I being paranoid about #2?

Anyhow, boy am I glad I have you guys to turn to. I feel better just getting that all out.

It seems like a pretty lame meeting to me. frown

I think you're his mom and you have the right to know what he is learning. If the homework is not representative of what he's doing in class, then I think it's totally fair to ask to see what he's doing in class. Can you observe the classroom during math time? That might be the best thing.

Do you know what he missed on the Grade 2 Math Placement Test? Is there a way to review those concepts with him and have him retested?

I'm not sure about due process. I hesitate to opine on that. I think you have to take another step now, but I'm not sure that's the step you want to take. Is there another option available?

Kriston
    Jool Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hmm - that's an idea Kriston - it wouldn't hurt to ask to observe. On the placement test, he was "able to complete word problems, but had difficulty completing open ended responses that require several steps and detailed explanations what was done." He also missed things like understanding median and mode and "complex fractions". It's really math knowledge. My frustration comes in because I'm saying, "He didn't know that? Great! Let's put it in the plan so he doesn't spend his time being taught stuff he already knows!" But it seems that there is no connection between the assessment and the plan. I thought that was the whole point of assessment was to address the child's individual needs. The other frustration comes in because I feel they are using the score for end-of year second grade assessment as a rationale for not providing him with accelerated material. At the end of last year, he only scored 71% on the first grade test, which was used as an argument for not accelerating him. But despite the 71% here he is in 2nd grade getting 100%s without trying and doing stuff he could do on his own at age 4.

A step before due process is mediation. I am leaning towards that.

After school today I asked DS if I should continue to try to get him "harder math" and he said yes.

"able to complete word problems, but had difficulty completing open ended responses that require several steps and detailed explanations what was done."

I'd be interesting in knowing what type of second grade or third grade math problem could be posed that would lead to that conclusion.

I don't believe median and mode and complex fractions are introduced in our district until after third grade. Interesting... Probably a gap that you could cover relatively quickly.

FWIW, a lot of people file both mediation and due process at the same time. If mediation solves it, then great cancel due process.

Following with interest...

JB

P.S. I DO think you're spot on for your issue #1.

Jool Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks for your perspective, Gratified3. I don't think that the lack of math challenge this year will do permanent harm for DS. He has other interests outside of academics and we also have a physics mentor come to our house once/week. I am convinced, however, that him not learning in math *will* do harm if the district does not acknowledge that something else needs to be done for him. The type-A part of me wants this addressed *before* it does harm, but I can also see the benefit of a wait and see approach as well. I think the appeal (no pun intended) of due process is that maybe it will get the district to break ground and be more flexible with their curriculum. Only giving in-level testing is against the requirments for present levels testing - and there are an increasing number of precedent cases where the district has lost because they only provided a cookie-cutter GIEP rather than individualized plan to match the needs of the child. I just don't have enough information to do a risk/benefit analysis of due process. I'd love to hear from folks who have gone that route.

Jool Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I read over my last post - what I meant to say was that DS not being challenged in math *will* do harm if it continues long-term. That means if it continues year-after-year...

Jool Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Good to know gratified3. If there is a good chance there will be no benefit for DS in terms of day-to-day challenge then there is no point to due process. I know that the child can be awarded compensatory education in a non-compliant district if they win the case but I'm not sure if comp ed makes any different after-the-fact.

A
    A
    Jool,
    There are also PA Gifted advocates who the schools tend to listen to above what they would pay attention to a parent. Unfortunately, the schools tend to feel that parents advocating are just pushy parents. A lot of times they will not take you seriously for quite a while. To me, the Gifted advocate was a godsend because he will be in the meetings (on speakerphone) and will talk about how other schools and districts handled similar cases. He sounds very professional and the schools pay attention to him. He also spends some time coaching me prior to the meetings, so I go in less nervous.

We were recommended against using an advocate (by our pysch) because it tends to create a confrontational environment... Or amplify any tension that may already exist between the parents and the district. Sounds like that was not your experience.

I can probably guess who you used. Do you want to share? (Or just PM me if you don't want to publicly share?)

We're not there yet, but I anticipate that the time may come...

JB

Jool Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by gratified3
    her first comment was that we should be an advocate.

Gratified3, did you mean she said you should *get* an advocate? If you're not already an advocate with all you went through with your district, I don't know who is! wink Or is there a process you can go through to become an official Advocate that would make the district take you more seriously? If so, sign me up!

I did hire an advocate who specializes in gifted ed when DS6 was in K (I'll PM the name to you JBDad). I think it made a difference only in terms of my confidence and to gain knowledge about the laws. This person was extremely knowledgeable, but didn't have the knowledge of my DS as an individual to effectively make the district do anything different. This person was very hesitant to call them on the law for whatever reason. At this point, I don't know that it would make any difference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM