I'm trying to get DS6 (in second grade after 1st grade skip) more challenging math. I requested that "present levels of educational performance" be assessed before the meeting. He was given the Grade 2 math end-of-book assessment and scored 82% and the Grade 2 Math Placement Test (for 3rd) and scored 88%. I was told that they did not test him further in math because the "rule" is that you have to score 90% to go further in the assessment. So he did not have any out of grade level testing. According to the gifted laws in our state, present levels of educational performance estimates are required in order to take the individual needs of the child into account when coming up with an IEP. Anyhow, under the "specially designed instruction" section it says "...will participate in small group differentiated instruction with the classroom teacher using "enrichment" and "beyond level" materials and activities provided by the reading/language and mathematics programs (3 times per week). I asked what specifically they would be doing and was told that the teacher already does this. confused I said that the math he brings home is too easy. Teacher (well-meaning) says that she has been giving DS and some other math-talented kids in the class enrichment activities in the classroom. DS tells me that on rare occasions he gets something a little bit harder than the rest of the class but he wants it to be harder. The principal was curious as to why I needed the specifics about what he will be doing for enrichment activities. Again, I stated that what he brings home is too easy. The team chimed in and says that in second grade, homework is designed to reinforce what they already know (after all, they are so young) and I can't judge how he is being challenged from the homework. The team made me feel like I was out of line by requesting the specifics for what he would be learning in math. Anyhow, my questions are...
1. Was the outcome of this meeting as lame as I think it was? I am willing to acknowledge if I am asking for too much or I am being unrealistic.
2. Should I go to due process to get the district to take my request seriously? At this point DS6 is happy overall, except for being underchallenged in math. If I go to due process I do risk an adversarial attitude from the district. So far, DS has had caring, well-meaning teachers but my fear is that they will start putting DS into classes with difficult teachers to "punish me".
3. Am I being paranoid about #2?

Anyhow, boy am I glad I have you guys to turn to. I feel better just getting that all out.