Hmm - that's an idea Kriston - it wouldn't hurt to ask to observe. On the placement test, he was "able to complete word problems, but had difficulty completing open ended responses that require several steps and detailed explanations what was done." He also missed things like understanding median and mode and "complex fractions". It's really math knowledge. My frustration comes in because I'm saying, "He didn't know that? Great! Let's put it in the plan so he doesn't spend his time being taught stuff he already knows!" But it seems that there is no connection between the assessment and the plan. I thought that was the whole point of assessment was to address the child's individual needs. The other frustration comes in because I feel they are using the score for end-of year second grade assessment as a rationale for not providing him with accelerated material. At the end of last year, he only scored 71% on the first grade test, which was used as an argument for not accelerating him. But despite the 71% here he is in 2nd grade getting 100%s without trying and doing stuff he could do on his own at age 4.

A step before due process is mediation. I am leaning towards that.

After school today I asked DS if I should continue to try to get him "harder math" and he said yes.