Originally Posted by Dottie
Another thing I've learned is that the school often can't make a plan, because they don't know how. My school has worked well with my suggestions, but continues to be weak in coming up with their own. If you have a solid idea of what you want (grade skip, subject acceleration, distance learning, etc), it's easier to "sell" than a more generic "teach him at his level", sad though that may be.

I wish that were the problem, Dottie. We're dealing with a big school district/bureaucracy. There is so much red tape I don't understand - what I do know is there is *extreme* reluctance to deviate from their standard curriculum. A grade skip is virtually unheard of, so from their perspective they have already bent over backwards. They scoffed at DYS's offers to work with them to come up with something easy to do. They don't want to hear about Challenge Math (that DS would do on his own!), ALECS, or anything else. Sarcasm alert: But since all of the district's curricula go from "remediation to enrichment" to "ensure the needs of ALL children", we shouldn't need any of that stuff. mad

Last edited by Jool; 12/17/08 10:18 AM.