Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 387 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Lori H. #32357 12/08/08 07:16 PM
    Lori,

Thanks for your post and you bring up a very good point that I have not even considered. For most kids video games leads to well video games. It is seen as dulling their minds. For some, their whole life evolves around it and they don't make a connection to other substantial interests such as your DS has. Is this the norm for gifted kids or abnormal? My DD is too young for me to in put her in the equation but it has surely peaked my interest and if it is more the norm for G+ kids to make that connection than I myself might be more willing to allow her time with video games and not worry about it soooo much.

Katelyn'sM om #32360 12/08/08 08:40 PM
    B
    BKD Offline
    B
    Wow - I wouldn't have expected so many good experiences - my children must be more along the lines of MomX2's. We have real problems with computer games - both boys, but DS4 even worse than DS6 - he's like a little addict being taken off a drug. And the whining and nagging goes on for days and weeks after they've been allowed on. They were fine before they discovered non-educational games, but now there's no going back from the world of beepclickbeepgameoverwelcometolevelfiveclickbeep.

I saw a documentary a few weeks ago about the addictive effects of gaming machines - the constant stimulus of light and sound apparently does trigger the release of chemicals in the brain which can be addictive in some people. I really think my children have this tendency, although most people don't believe how bad they are until they've seen the horror for themselves.

It's a shame, as I really can see the potentially positive side, as Lori points out. We won't be having a DX or XBox in the house in the foreseeable future. Maybe when they're older and have more self-awareness we'll give it a try, in a very controlled way.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM