Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: jojo Wii thing? - 12/03/08 10:14 PM
Never been into computer games myself, but hb is talking enthusiastically about a Wii for Christmas. Anyone got one? I've resisted this type of technology before because I think Miss 7 could be seriously addicted (and I rue the day that someone introduced barbie.com into our household)... But if there was a particular game that included: a timed feature, some form of brain gym, some hand/eye coordination, etc. then perhaps I'd consider it (?) Any thoughts? jojo
Posted By: Katelyn'sM om Re: Wii thing? - 12/03/08 10:24 PM
Jojo:

I was in the same boat. Hate video games but have a geek of a hubby and he had had had to have it. So I relented and we got the wii. I have mixed reaction to it. Yes there is a lot of games from action krap to silly mario brother stuff (told you I hate video games) but also fun little mind games that are fun. Also there is a lot of musical ones like rockstar, guitar hero and new ones for an orchestra. IF you are going to have a component the wii is the one to get b/c the sky is the limit of what they come up with for it. BUT addiction can be a problem and if you are concerned about you DD7 it is valid. Best thing you could do is limit what type of games are allowed into the 'public' house. What I mean is have your hubby stash his till after the kids go to bed and have the approved ones out for the whole family to play. Of course that doesn't mean she won't know what games are out there. They usually know way more than we do about what is available when it comes to that stuff.
Posted By: jojo Re: Wii thing? - 12/03/08 10:35 PM
Thanks KM. It's a bit of a worry that he's suggested that he actually gives ME the Wii thing for Xmas (so that the girls don't fight over it). What on earth does he think I'll do with it??? Hrmph (!)
Posted By: RJH Re: Wii thing? - 12/03/08 10:52 PM
We have one, and we all enjoy it. There are some good "educational" games. Big brain academy is one of our faves. The whole family can play that at the same time.
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: Wii thing? - 12/03/08 10:56 PM
well, i'm not ashamed to admit it - i'm a video game junkie! Not a true gamer, but I first got addicted with tomb raider, and i'm pleasantly surprised to find that the lego wii games are even more fun than tomb raider. And DS loves anything lego-related. We have big brain academy too, but none of us likes how it tells us how small are brains are, so maybe we'll have to try that one later!

Oh, and i'm wondering if anyone has tried WiiWare (where you download software to the wii). There's a new game that someone mentioned here before - The World of Goo - that's a physics-based puzzle game that is on WiiWare. Is it easy to download stuff to Wii?
Posted By: Katelyn'sM om Re: Wii thing? - 12/04/08 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by RJH
We have one, and we all enjoy it. There are some good "educational" games. Big brain academy is one of our faves. The whole family can play that at the same time.

Thanks RJH I could not remember the name of the game but that is the one we bought and I have to admit it is fun to play. We just haven't pulled the games out since we moved back in March.

The other cool thing about the wii is your controller holds all your information so if you have friends/family that have a wii you just take the controllers over to their house and play at your level.
Posted By: Katelyn'sM om Re: Wii thing? - 12/04/08 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by st pauli girl
Oh, and i'm wondering if anyone has tried WiiWare (where you download software to the wii). There's a new game that someone mentioned here before - The World of Goo - that's a physics-based puzzle game that is on WiiWare. Is it easy to download stuff to Wii?

The WiiWare is simple to use you just click on the link and it is guides you through the rest. The big complaint I have is the internet connection. It is like having another computer in the house, however there is no keyboard (at least the last time I checked) so you have to use the on screen keyboard with your controller. Very very slow.
Posted By: AmyEJ Re: Wii thing? - 12/04/08 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by st pauli girl
Is it easy to download stuff to Wii?

I haven't done it but my DH has. I'm not sure which game he downloaded but he was excited that it only was $5 or something. I kind of tuned out but I can certainly ask him about the process. We bought the software for the internet for $5. Wikipedia looks pretty cool on the big screen!

As for the Wii itself, we have really enjoyed it as a family. I was skeptical too, and we didn't have any other games in the house (not even Leapsters or anything). It's been a great bonding experience for DH and DD6 as they figure out Lego Star Wars together. I like the balance board games. The hula hoop one actually works my abs! DH and I will play each other in tennis sometimes after the kids go to bed. I can't play real tennis at all so it's kind of fun to do it on the Wii. We don't have very many games, though, and we've only had it since the summer, so it's still pretty new. I can see us enjoying it for a long time, though.

HTH!
Posted By: AmyEJ Re: Wii thing? - 12/04/08 01:37 AM
Ahh, Katelyn's Mom, you beat me to it! I had to stop typing because of a "bath situation" that needed my attention. And yes, the controller is a bit slow. We don't usually type long website addresses though so it's not too big of a deal.
Posted By: Katelyn'sM om Re: Wii thing? - 12/04/08 03:40 AM
Sorry Amy, but have to admit that is probably the first time I slipped in usually it is the other way around!
Posted By: ienjoysoup Re: Wii thing? - 12/04/08 10:09 AM
we are a tech-no family... we all love gadgets WITH BUTTONS!

So we jumped on the Wii band wagon early.... The Wii is comes with fun sports games that get you moving.... which is wonderful for DS7 as he is less then coordinated. Also there is a add on piece called a Wii fit. It's all about getting in shape. They also teach balance and coordination. I have to say I am very impressed with it.

Here are good game suggestions- there is tons of junk out there.

Wii Sports. - comes with the game- and fun

Endless Ocean- teaches about the fish.

Wii Fit
- comes with extra piece- teaches how to stay in shape and balance

The good thing is it's very physical, so he can't play that long- he tires out. Which is saying a lot as he is very hyper.
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Wii thing? - 12/04/08 12:10 PM
We are on the bandwagon now, too.
We have not had any system other than pc in the house, so this should be pretty exciting. (so much for keeping it simple this year..Lol!)

We are getting 'Sonic Unleashed' a full-on video game for ds8 and probably 'cars' for our cars fanatic, dd2.5. After that I am looking at Brain Age I think it's called (much less expensive than the other two) and I might get the 'Fit' with the balance board for me me me early next year sometime - it does look pretty darn cool. Later we will probably get the lego star wars games, but we have them for pc and they work really well on pc, so no rush there.

I am still a little confused about all the controllers.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Wii thing? - 12/04/08 02:10 PM
My DSs play at a friend's house, and they love Wii Sports. I'm thinking about getting it so that they'll have something to encourage them to move during the winter and burn off some of that excess energy, preferably in ways that don't hurt one another or my walls...

It looks like it's going to be a looooooong winter!
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: Wii thing? - 12/04/08 02:24 PM
I just heard good reviews about wii outdoor adventure, which also comes with a mat. There are a lot of games requiring movement, like running and jumping, and one that requires 2 kids to work together as a team too.

(can't seem to find a link - maybe it's called outdoor challenge, but my friend said adventure...)
Posted By: squirt Re: Wii thing? - 12/04/08 04:53 PM
Okay, this is off topic, so let me know if you want me to start another thread if we're not done with Wii stuff. What can you all tell me about the Nintendo DS handheld? Can you buy educational games for it or is it all just junk? Pud wants a "modern video game system" but we're not yet ready to jump into a Wii or PSP or something. He has an old (from 1994, ancient, he says!) Super Nintendo.

Thoughts on the Nintendo DS? What are good games to go with it? Is it easy to use? Easy to buy games for? Pain in the neck?
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Wii thing? - 12/04/08 05:08 PM
I have thought about it, but not researched it...the main drawback that I can see is that the kids I have seen playing with this in public seem really into it - so it is super hard to get their attention!
I think you would just have to set up boudaries before getting it.

The kids do seem to love it!
Posted By: acs Re: Wii thing? - 12/04/08 05:15 PM
I am a huge fan of Rock Band. But I will warn you that many of the songs that I have hummed along with, because I didn't understand the words, have more disturbing lyrics that I had imagined.

We finally "broke" into the world of home tech (besides our computer) with a refurbished PS2 that DS13 bought cheap on Amazon. The only reason I allowed this was because I had a real hankering to sing in Rock Band. So DH and DS bought me Rock Band to go with it. We are really having a fun time as a family--I sing, DS plays drums and DH is on guitar. Since one of the things I didn't want was DS alone in front of the TV playing games mindlessly, this collaborative game has really avoided this situation, since we mainly play as a family.

Posted By: elh0706 Re: Wii thing? - 12/04/08 05:40 PM
DS 9 is getting a Wii for Christmas along with several games. DS has the brain age for DS but really hated it so we'll skip that one for the Wii for now. He loves playing the games that make you move around at his friends house. Like Kriston, I'm hoping to use up some of that energy when the weather outside is frightful.
And DH got me the Wii fir at my request! I can't fit gym time into my schedule right now and am feeling like a slug. I'm hoping that it is as good as the reviews I've read.

Squirt, there are alot of good games for the DS. There is an entire line that are foreign languages, vocab, logic pussles and such along with the garden variety entertainment. There is a really fun Chess game that DS has loved.
Posted By: ienjoysoup Re: Wii thing? - 12/04/08 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by squirt
Okay, this is off topic, so let me know if you want me to start another thread if we're not done with Wii stuff. What can you all tell me about the Nintendo DS handheld? Can you buy educational games for it or is it all just junk? Pud wants a "modern video game system" but we're not yet ready to jump into a Wii or PSP or something. He has an old (from 1994, ancient, he says!) Super Nintendo.

Thoughts on the Nintendo DS? What are good games to go with it? Is it easy to use? Easy to buy games for? Pain in the neck?

Grandma got Ds7 this 2 years ago at the urgency of my sister in law. At first I was not to happy.... he plays it to death, but it's a great thing for him in that he has something to talk about with other kids. All the kids have these or have played them at some point. It has turned into a great ice breaker and topic for conversation for him. It makes him fit in.

The games are expensive for us.... but if you get them used they are cheap, plus they have things unlocked already, which is apparently a good thing?

there is a few brain games that are sort of fun. brain age and suduko.... a few others
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Wii thing? - 12/04/08 07:36 PM
We are getting a Wii for Christmas as well. I will get Wii Fit when the stores have them in 2009. I also heard the Outdoor Adventures is really good and will probably get that. I got DH Wii FIFA Soccer 09 for Christmas. It got really good reviews on the page I looked at and we're a big soccer family so I think it will be fun for all.
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Wii thing? - 12/04/08 07:46 PM
We have the Wii and my kids both have DS's. The Wii Fit is very fun and we're getting Dance Dance Revolution and the Outdoor Adventures for Christmas (actually they are presents for me! LOL!!!!!!). Guitar hero is very fun and so are the Star Wars Lego and Indiana Jones Lego games. Big Brain Academy is fun and so is My Word Coach.

Lots of kids do play too much, but if you set the boundaries they won't. My kids know how much time they get to play and then that is it. If you start off with rules in place and stick to them it shouldn't be a problem. Lots of the games are very, very fun!!!!
Posted By: Jool Re: Wii thing? - 12/06/08 11:30 PM
Check your public library for Wii games -- we checked out a bunch of them from ours. I nearly became addicted to the screaming bunnies game but I was saved because I had to return it grin.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Wii thing? - 12/06/08 11:32 PM
Oooh! Good to know. I hate the notion of spending a bunch of money on a game only to find that it's boring or inappropriate or whatever. I never thought of looking for games at the library! Thanks!
Posted By: momx2 Re: Wii thing? - 12/07/08 02:34 AM
I hate to be a naysayer but...
If your child has issues with time limits and boundaries - DO NOT get a Wii or a DS. If your child has an obsessive and/or addictive personality, do not get a Wii or a DS. One way to gauge this is if your child really likes computer games and will insist on playing for long periods of time. If you restrict the computer games and they beg/whine for more time, do not get the Wii or DS. We purchased the Wii since he seemed to enjoy it immensely at the homes of friends. Little did we know that having one would increase his desire to play it rather than decrease it.
We have the Wii which we got for Christmas 2007 and it has been unhealthy for us. I sincerely wish we'd never bought it and particularly regret the purchase of the Lego Star Wars Complete Saga game. The only bright spot on the Wii other than Wii sports is the Endless Ocean game. I wish there were more games like that one. It is fun and highly educational.
If you have children that adhere to boundaries well and won't become addicted - go for it. It is amazing technology and can be fun. STRICT limits need to be set and I hope they require minimal reinforcement in your home. HTH...
Posted By: Grinity Re: Wii thing? - 12/07/08 02:58 AM
Many of us live with intense family members. Some of these family members are children. Many families do fine with the strict limit thing, but not all. Unstrict limits will cause problems for many kids, but a kid with difficulty doesn't nescessarily have parents who aren't strict. Also, the odds of getting both parents equally strict and invested, are low. That's just part of life.

Lately I've been thinking that what all my family members need is an 'asbestos cup'- and interest that can sop up the overflow of energy that comes from within. My interests tend to change over time. DH's 'cup' usually involves physical labor. DS12 has had a series of 'cups' - some of which I've felt better about and some I've felt worse about. I was tickled about the Rubix cube last summer, and am loving the Chess interest now. OTOH, he whistled for an entire year. I would say that every waking moment was an exaggeration, but it sure felt like that. I think it all goes back to the OverExcitabilities.

Lots of behavior that looks 'diagnosible' in a ND kid, is just plain 'to be expected' for gifted kids. Not all, but lots.

My experience with DS is that usually he does finally 'beat the game,' and be without a place to put his drive for a while. I try to stand ready for those times with new activities that will appeal to both of us.

Also -Some kids transition better than others as well. See 'Your Spirited Child.'

Smiles,
Grinity
Posted By: Kriston Re: Wii thing? - 12/07/08 03:14 AM
DS7, DH and I are all just like that, Grin: obsessive about an interest for a while, then we get over it and move on to something else. DS4 is even a little like it lately. I'm the video game addict in our house. Can't get enough!

So yeah, I guess I don't worry too much about those intense interests...

We do have pretty strict computer limits. The kids have to earn computer points before they can "spend" them on game play. They earn points at the whim of their mercurial parents whenever they make our lives easier AND we feel like giving them out. This prevents the "But I was good, so I should get points" nonsense. Points are not payment for services rendered, they are a reward sometimes granted when the kids are easy to deal with. Psychologically, it's a more effective method of behavior modification. <evil grin>

When the points are gone, computer time is gone.

As a result, they aren't on much, and they tend to behave pretty well. <shrug> Maybe it will be different with a Wii, but I kind of doubt it. And I may well go much easier on the games that get them moving around when the weather is bad. I'm so sick of their wrestling and hurting one another, but I know they need to burn off some energy. If they obsess a bit about exercise...well, I'm really okay with that! wink
Posted By: momx2 Re: Wii thing? - 12/07/08 03:39 AM
I have to say I was hesitant to post my comments, albeit "anonymously." I wish you luck and success but if I had a reset button, we wouldn't have purchased ours. Similarly, DS and DD have been begging for a DS (what they originally wanted and I had the bright idea of getting a Wii instead since it wasn't portable) but we are resolved not to give in. We have tried tokens, timers, etc for playing time. I guess we could improve on our "strictness." BTW - DS has mastered Endless Ocean and several levels of the Lego Star Wars game. However, these games just seem to have level upon level upon level... The "get you moving" games are good but DS just loves the Star Wars game and seems to prefer it over anything else. I wish the game came with a timer/lock feature and would shut down when the alotted time was over. I think I am onto something... ;)It would make life much easier. Just my 2 cents...
Posted By: JBDad Re: Wii thing? - 12/07/08 03:48 AM
Originally Posted by Kriston
We do have pretty strict computer limits. The kids have to earn computer points before they can "spend" them on game play. They earn points at the whim of their mercurial parents whenever they make our lives easier AND we feel like giving them out. This prevents the "But I was good, so I should get points" nonsense. Points are not payment for services rendered, they are a reward sometimes granted when the kids are easy to deal with. Psychologically, it's a more effective method of behavior modification. <evil grin>

We've borrowed this from Kriston for computer time. Works GREAT. In our house we have certain activities that will give a reward for and a certain randomness too to prevent "I-deserve-it-ness" that Kriston mentioned. And we never take chips away. However, you can't spend chips if you are on restriction. And you will be on restriction if you talk back! So don't try it in our house mad

I took some of my old poker chips and marked them with 1, 5, and 10 minute increments. Not only does it work well because there is a lot to be said for physically holding time chips. Something about handling them like money and not being able to cash them in if you loose them helps teach responsibility. DS also likes to change them so that he's always holding the least number of chips possible. Another teaching point there too.

Been meaning to thank you for this idea Kriston...

JB
Posted By: Kriston Re: Wii thing? - 12/07/08 04:06 AM
Oh, I may borrow right back from you JBDad! smile We've just been putting hash marks up on a piece of (now very messy) paper on the fridge, and we scribble them out when they use up the points. The chips sound like a better idea.

Hmmm...

Anyway, you're welcome! I'm glad it's working for you, too. I'm really rather amazed at how effective it has been for us. This system actually cut DOWN on the amount of time they spend on the computer, and they seem grateful to get it. No more whining and pouting when time is up. Marvelous!

But, momx2, I don't think you should be hesitant to post! frown One of the great things about this forum is that we hear all sides. I think you make some valid points.
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Wii thing? - 12/07/08 03:05 PM
momx2 - DH insisted on getting the Wii. I told him, under no circumstances, is he to buy LEGO Starwars or any such game for the Wii. We have LEGO Starwars episode 4 one for the Mac and that almost drove me insane. We moved to weekends only when DH is home b/c he can remain unemotional and will simply unplug the computer at the alloted time. I buy into the I just 5 more minutes to finish this level etc then i get busy with something and 20min later, they are still playing. So the weekend only rule worked well in our house.

My issue w/ computer games today is that they never end. In my day, we had pacman and space invaders etc and those games end. The games that the boys play like Tribal Trouble, The TRibe, Star Wars never seem to end. With Star Wars, even though the computer is in the living room, I never stop moving so I miss when they finish a level which is a good stopping point and then move on to another one.

My issue and maybe we should break this out to a separate topic but i have 2 boys who both want to play. but they also want to watch the other play. SO if I give them each an hour, it ends up being 2hrs. So I had to institute a "watching the same as playing" rule.
Posted By: momx2 Re: Wii thing? - 12/07/08 03:29 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I, too, give in to the "just let me finish this level or it won't save" like Dazed&Confused. Similarly, the kids like to watch each other so it just increases the amount of time they both spend staring at the box. My biggest regret is the Star Wars game (or any game with a multitude of levels). DS was a delight with the Wii before that game. It was fun watching him play tennis, box, fish (Wii Play game), or both kids play Mario Cart. Once we bought that particular game (this would apply to any game with levels), all the fun the Wii gave us has disappeared. DS used to love regular Legos and other pursuits but will now just whine for the Wii (and that darned Star Wars game). I will try the poker chip approach, particularly since it gives them something "tangible." JBDad, are you sure you can't invent a timer for the Wii that shuts down in the alotted time or when the level is complete? That would be a major moneymaker. I also must state that DS was my honest kid who would set the timer on the computer and self-monitor his playing (B4Wii - before Wii). He would ask for additional time but overall, was well-behaved. Alas, that child is long gone... OTOH, he loved the Endless Ocean game and solved it quickly. It is truly a great educational game if you child has a Jacques Cousteau passion for the ocean. If you venture into purchasing Nintendo items, pls be cautious about the games you get and strict about the time limits. HTH and I'll quietly retreat from anymore Wii "advice."
Posted By: incogneato Re: Wii thing? - 12/07/08 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by momx2
Thanks for all the suggestions. I, too, give in to the "just let me finish this level or it won't save

Ummm........the only person in my house who says this is..........me. blush
Posted By: squirt Re: Wii thing? - 12/07/08 04:56 PM
What's the difference betweeen Nintendo DS and Nintendo DS Lite? We're looking and thinking. Someone made a good point about this being a social thing. Pud doesn't always have something he can talk about with other kids. Not a sole reason to buy it but not a bad thing either.
Posted By: Katelyn'sM om Re: Wii thing? - 12/07/08 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by jojo
Thanks KM. It's a bit of a worry that he's suggested that he actually gives ME the Wii thing for Xmas (so that the girls don't fight over it). What on earth does he think I'll do with it??? Hrmph (!)

Don't you love it when they (our DH) pull that one. LOL I think my DH knows not to try that with me. If he wants it than buy it for himself. He still likes to argue what a great item it would be for the whole family. Our DD is not old enough to play the wii, but when she does I am Soooo stealing Kriston's and JBdad's ideas. I can't think of a better use for the poker chips. I really need to pass that idea off to my BF and her 13 year old who is obessed with the computer.
Posted By: Grinity Re: Wii thing? - 12/07/08 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by incogneato
Originally Posted by momx2
Thanks for all the suggestions. I, too, give in to the "just let me finish this level or it won't save

Ummm........the only person in my house who says this is..........me. blush

We all say this, but with me it's "I'm just about to fininsh this really cool post, just give me 5 more minutes...."

We do have timers in every room of the house.

Smiles,
Grin
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Wii thing? - 12/07/08 06:19 PM
OH man Grinity...yes you hit the nail on the head!!!! blush

momx2 - I'm glad you shared your thoughts. I talked to a gaming friend of mine about the inability to save where you are in Star WArs games unless you're at the end of a level. He said it is to make it more competitive. Kids would just keep saving incrementally in case they made a mistake and wouldn't have to back up too far to continue.

Our other big issue is that the kids play some freebie games like Tribal Trouble and the Tribe, which they've learned a lot from BTW, but you can't save them. So DS8, for ex:, will want to put the Mac to sleep so he can continue the next day but that means no one else can use the computer in the mean time. SO that means lots of crying from DS5. We have two users on that computer so for some things, you can click over to the other user and play there w/out interrupted what the other did but sometimes you can't do that.

Posted By: EandCmom Re: Wii thing? - 12/07/08 10:08 PM
The Lite does light up (you're right Dottie!), but the main problem was a weight issue. The old Nintendo DS is called the "heavy" version and I don't believe it is even sold anymore. People were really unhappy with it's bulk apparently so they came up with the "lite" version which is what they are currently selling. smile
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: Wii thing? - 12/08/08 03:49 AM
I have to pipe in with our Lego Star Wars experience. I just pretty much let everyone (me, DH, and DS4) have at it gangbusters until we completed it (except the evil timed minikit challenge levels). This seemed to have the effect of making a kid who got caught smoking smoke an entire pack. In fact, today, I was busy wrapping presents and getting ready for an out-of-town party, and DS kept begging me to play a game with him. I said, can't you play wii or the computer or something? Nope, he only wanted card games or board games. So in our house, lego star wars has driven the family to board games!

Unfortunately, at the party, DS4 was given his first webkinz....
Posted By: Lori H. Re: Wii thing? - 12/08/08 04:34 PM
My son has a Wii, a Playstation 2 and 3, a DS and an XBox. As a homeschooled only child at home in a neighborhood with no children, he has more time to play video games than most kids so he is like the video game expert in his little group of friends. His friends sometimes call him for game advice.

He doesn't play the Wii as much as he does the PS2 and 3 and the DS, but he sometimes plays Wii Fit and I think it helps with balance and coordination. He really likes playing Rock Band 2 but he has the PS3 version. His friends enjoy playing this with him.

Video games have piqued his interest in so many areas that I have a hard time seeing them as being a bad thing that should be limited to a few hours a week. Playing Ace Attorney games piqued his interest in our legal system and led to reading more of his sister's introduction to law textbook, Trauma Center Under the Knife 2 for the DS piqued more of an interest in medical terminology and how the human body works, simulation games, especially the Sims, piqued an interest in sociology and psychology and led to reading psychology and sociology textbooks, Empire Earth and Age of Empires and Civilization and similar games piqued more of an interest in history and the intereactive nature of some of these games led to much more learning, not less. I think playing these games motivated him to read more than he otherwise would have. My Spanish Coach for the DS is helping him learn Spanish, Harvest Moon piqued an interest in gardening, Crosswords for the DS is helping with writing letters quickly and legibly, My SAT Coach for the DS has piqued his interest in taking tests and provided practice in filling in those bubbles when coloring in the lines isn't exactly his forte. RPG games have piqued his interest in "leveling up" in all things except shoe tying.

Posted By: incogneato Re: Wii thing? - 12/08/08 06:18 PM
LOL! I think you are definately on to something here! I've found the same with DD's, it's all about the game, not so much the system.

Unfortunately I did get them Mario Super Smash Brothers for X-Mas. I'm not sure what higher learning aspect can be gleaned from this one!
Posted By: Katelyn'sM om Re: Wii thing? - 12/09/08 02:16 AM
Lori,

Thanks for your post and you bring up a very good point that I have not even considered. For most kids video games leads to well video games. It is seen as dulling their minds. For some, their whole life evolves around it and they don't make a connection to other substantial interests such as your DS has. Is this the norm for gifted kids or abnormal? My DD is too young for me to in put her in the equation but it has surely peaked my interest and if it is more the norm for G+ kids to make that connection than I myself might be more willing to allow her time with video games and not worry about it soooo much.

Posted By: BKD Re: Wii thing? - 12/09/08 03:40 AM
Wow - I wouldn't have expected so many good experiences - my children must be more along the lines of MomX2's. We have real problems with computer games - both boys, but DS4 even worse than DS6 - he's like a little addict being taken off a drug. And the whining and nagging goes on for days and weeks after they've been allowed on. They were fine before they discovered non-educational games, but now there's no going back from the world of beepclickbeepgameoverwelcometolevelfiveclickbeep.

I saw a documentary a few weeks ago about the addictive effects of gaming machines - the constant stimulus of light and sound apparently does trigger the release of chemicals in the brain which can be addictive in some people. I really think my children have this tendency, although most people don't believe how bad they are until they've seen the horror for themselves.

It's a shame, as I really can see the potentially positive side, as Lori points out. We won't be having a DX or XBox in the house in the foreseeable future. Maybe when they're older and have more self-awareness we'll give it a try, in a very controlled way.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum