Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #32082 12/04/08 07:50 AM
    A
    Artana Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Well,
    DS6 has been seen by a behavior therapist the school contracts. He is definitely ADD, though the school psychologist needs to give the official word. The lucky thing is that he is about a 4 on a scale of 1-10 so he will likely only need interventions in chunking his time and helping him to keep his behavior in check.
    The other great thing is that the special ed teacher will ask the school psychologist to chunk her assessments into smaller times. This means that we will hopefully get a better idea of his IQ than before, with the weird subtest spread.:) So, things are beginning to look up in school.
    We are having issues on the bus, but I think that we're slowly getting that under control also.

My oldest is being given Key Math tests, I guess, to determine what level of mathematics he is actually at. He is also being evaluated by the psychologist, but his case is a bit harder. He is definitely gifted, he hates transitions and will sometimes tantrum out of frustration (like Aspeger's, but no verbal issues or social problems), and he likes structure. I hope he gets an IEP as well, but I more hope that we have a better idea of what is troubling him.

Hi Artana,
    Sorry I missed this post, but very glad to hear that things are looking positive!

Have the bus issues resolved?
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    A
    Artana Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Mostly,
    The behavior therapist contracted by the school told me to drive them to within a 1/2 mile of the school and make them walk when they were really really bad. We did that once. Now, we make them walk up the really steep hill in our neighborhood to the bus stop in the morning if they are bad on the bus. The behaviors have definitely scaled down a bunch.
    My oldest now has an IEP and a mild Autism diagnosis. They are putting him in a social skills development curriculum and the school is also going to give him one day when he can do all his work by typing (which is a huge relief to him). Between that, Gifted, and OT, I think we are getting somewhere.:)

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations