Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #31532 11/24/08 11:23 AM
    S
    Sharona Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Hello.
    My daughter can print the alphabet, numbers 1-10, loves to draw snowmen, people, objects, does crafts, etc.

I need some advice on what I can do with her on cold winter days when we are stuck in the house.

Right now, she watches tv in the morning and then we do a "project" for about 2 hours. Then we have lunch and then quiet time for about 2 hours. After quiet time, we do another activity or computer CD and then she watches tv for an hour while I make supper.

I am trying to turn off the tv more often and not have her just sit in front of it, even though she likes her shows.

She can do most of the stuff that kids in kindergarten are doing and when she goes to K-4 next year, I don't want her to be so far ahead of the other kids, but at the same time, I don't want to waste her brain cells watching tv.

I'd appreciate some suggestions. THANKS.

Sharon

Does she need you next to her to do activities? Does she get into imaginary play b/c maybe just a sheet over a chair could spark her imagination and she would take it from there. We have dress up clothes for our DD (27 mths) and stuffed animals, dolls, puzzles, books, etc. I am sure what I am citing is nothing new and you probably have all the above mentioned. I am a SAHM too, but we don't plan the day. We let her play with whatever peaks her interest. Some days it is dress up clothes and dancing around. Other days it is puzzles and books. Here lately she has miniature imaginary friends she carts around with her. She also has two big dogs as playmates so that helps.

As for TV, it is a hard one. Once you open that door it is a hard one to close. My DD gets to watch DVDs in the car when we are out on errands, but not in the house. I know it is cop out, but it works for us and keeps her searching out other things to play with. We do have computer games that she plays but she has to come ask us to play them and that might happen 3 or 4 times a week.

I think the "cooped up in the house" bit wears a bit thin on anyone. When my DS was younger, I sought out early childhood classes, and since he was 3, he's been in part-time preschool. We also liked zoos, children's and science museums, etc.

But if you can't get out, maybe you can set up an activity station with all kinds of things your DD can do on her own. We have a caddy with art supplies by DS's little activity table, and he's got a little kitchen too. I don't have a girl, but I know for DS4 legos have been the best toy. Other fun toys kids can play with themselves: wedgits, gears, playdough, playfoam, moonsand. If she likes activity books, you can let her pick out some at target (workbooks or mazes, etc).

And I don't think TV is all that bad. There are some great educational shows on PBS and discovery. Also, pbskids.org has great educational games.

I wouldn't worry about if your kid is getting ahead of other kids. Just follow her lead and give her things you think she'd enjoy. If there's one thing i've learned, gifted kids don't stop learning even when you don't try to teach them anything.

Good luck, and have fun.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 11/25/08 10:19 PM.
    Sharona, I have the same problem with DD3. One of my biggest problems with her is that she demands a lot of one-on-one attention from me or DH while she's doing activities, with a few exceptions. She really needs the mental stimulation we provide by asking her questions, talking to her about what we're doing, etc.

One thing that she does love is play-doh -- keeps her busy for a long time. I do rotate her toys around to bring out something "fresh" every few weeks. I just got out the Little People House and Bus today and it's a big hit. She likes to sit with me and do math or letter workbooks. We got a small book of mazes and connect-the-dots at our local United Art & Education store -- if you have one of those nearby, they have GREAT things to keep things busy from toys to books. I could do an advertisement for them, I love that store so much! smile

L
    L
    Originally Posted by HoosierMommy
    We got a small book of mazes and connect-the-dots at our local United Art & Education store -- if you have one of those nearby, they have GREAT things to keep things busy from toys to books. I could do an advertisement for them, I love that store so much! smile

They have a website too - so much stuff though, I don't even know where to begin. I wish we did have a store here.

http://www.unitednow.com/

L
    L
    Hello Sharona,

I am trying to remember back to 3.5 as my girls are now a little older. I noticed you mention that she watches tv while you cook dinner but that you are trying to turn the tv off more. Is there enough room in your kitchen to carve out some space for a small table and chair for your DD? You could set her up with play doh, cookie cutter, and other small cooking utensils so she can "play cook" along with Mommy. My DD's still, even at 5 and 7, will play with Play Doh for close to an hour at a stretch! You can make your own so you don't have to worry if she eats a bite while your busy is at the stove :-) Also crayons and paper at the little table might help. You could talk to her giving instruction on what to write and draw while you cook. Also try taking some stories on tape out of the library. You can set up a a player in the kitchen and you and your DD can hear a nice story while dinner is prepared. Good luck,

Play Doh Recipe

http://www.teachnet.com/lesson/art/playdough061699.html

Last edited by lanfan; 12/01/08 01:12 PM.
    L
    L
    I found this website...

http://www.theteacherscorner.net/printable-worksheets/

You can custom make worksheets so start out simple if you want build from there. I just print a simple one off and set it out for the kids at breakfast - depending on their interest, we go from there. We've used the clock one and the money one to introduce those concepts. I don't use them as a traditional worksheet yet - more to generate discussion and as a visual.

M
    M
    Dear Sharona,

Something I try to do with Chico (3) at that time of day is to let him help prepare dinner. (He's the only one of the three of them who likes to help in the kitchen, so hey, I'm not going to pass up this chance at training a sous-chef!!) I try to plan things ahead of time so that I'm making a meal that has some elements he can handle on his own. Of course it won't work every night, and of course it will take at least twice as long as if you just did it yourself, but we have fun, he's happy, he's learning something new, and actually he's really very careful. I obviously don't let him near the stove or sharp knives, potato peelers, etc., but anything involving measuring, stirring, rolling things out, finding things in the fridge or the cupboard, getting me the right cookbook, etc., is one of "his" jobs. He also generally helps me with emptying the dishwasher and setting the table...that late-afternoon "arsenic hour" has improved a lot since I gave him some ownership of the things that happen at that time of the day.

Hope that helps a little--
    minnie

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...