Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 342 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
    Yup. Been there, done that! grin

But it's not the milestones that are out of whack. It's our nutty, wonderful kids! LOL!

Kriston
    BTW, I read the milestones, saw that he surpassed pretty much all of them by months (and months for some things!), believed them to be accurate, and *still* thought DS7 was MG.

I can talk about GT denial because I looked at it in the mirror for years! wink

Kriston
    That is why I love this board and all of you. I lucked out finding 'gifted' and hearing the pearly gates open while my DD was just barely 2. So I can laugh now at how much I was in denial for the first 2 years. And I am sure my reaction is old news to most of you as I am sure you guys/girls came to realize that your child is in fact not part of the norm.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by chris1234
    Your dd sounds pretty tremendous, however from experience I can say it can be pretty hard to tell 'for sure' if your child is gifted when they are a toddler unless they are doing something utterly off the charts like reading at 2 or 3, or doing simple math at 3.
    I think those things are pretty darn rare - that would make things too easy! wink
    (It can be hard to tell even after they've tested 'gt'! Lol!)

Has anyone here ever heard of the Denver II test? I haven't seen many references to it here.

It's often used to assess developmental delay, but if you look at the form in that link, you'll see that you can use it to make some guesstimates about meeting milestones early. It's also a nice reference for seeing typical ages for meeting developmental milestones.

My kids are/were way to the left on some of these items and smack in the middle or right-leaning on others.

Read carefully! The entry 6 words means "knows six words," not "combines six words."

(Caveat: people go through training to learn how to administer this test, so our conclusions will be rough at best.)

Val

Cool info/sheet, Val. I liked the last line:

In the 2nd year, half of normal children are non-compliant.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by chris1234
    Cool info/sheet, Val. I liked the last line:

In the 2nd year, half of normal children are non-compliant.

Thanks.

My DS8 started being non-compliant when he was an infant. He still is.

Val

Thanks Val! Very intersting chart. The "dress, no help" seems a bit unfair for my large headed kid (he's just not strong enough yet to get his head through the hole!) Maybe I should just get him some flashdance shirts.

LOL! What a feeling!

Kriston
    E
    E
    I am still rolling on the floor laughing about the What to Expect books (as well as most of the other development books.) DS was less than a year old when DH took the books away from me and not so gently told me to ignore them lol.
    I(maybe showing some gifted traits of my own...) kept trying to make the skills listed more difficult so that DS would appear to be more in line with ND development. For example rolls over on own approx 3 months. I decided that since DS was rolling over at 6 weeks, they must mean roll over and over and over like going down a hill.
    Another one: Knows colors. Well since he has known the main colors since he was about 8 months, they must mean colors like magenta, tan, and what colors make up orange, green, etc.
    Well at DS's 9 month check up the Pediatrician asked if we had any concerns about DS's development, and I said that DS still wasn't rolling over. DH looked at me like I had a grown about 6 extra heads, since by that point DS was walking, and took away the books as soon as we got home!

Anyway, welcome to the board! It will be fun to hear how your daughter grows smile

Originally Posted by elh0706
    I(maybe showing some gifted traits of my own...) kept trying to make the skills listed more difficult so that DS would appear to be more in line with ND development. For example rolls over on own approx 3 months. I decided that since DS was rolling over at 6 weeks, they must mean roll over and over and over like going down a hill.

Okay, I LOLd at this! Still chuckling... laugh

Kriston
    Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM