Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 342 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
    I think a lot of kids don't know all their colors until they go to pre-school, so around 3 or 4. Both of mine knew them by 18 months so I didn't really realize it was a big deal until my oldest got to pre-school and they were teaching colors! I don't know when they should understand colors, but I do think that a lot of kids must learn them when they are older.

Good topic. What really is normal development for a 20 month old. Our DD did things that were clearly unusual.

I have a DS that is 20m now and has a very different set of skills from our DD. He crawled later around 8m and walked at 12m. He is still not really talking to the point where we can have a conversation with him at 20m.

He can count to 18 and knows his colors! He says two word phrases. His sis talks for him alot.

He did do some strange things as a baby like he would crawl up on his dresser and take out all the socks and put one sock in each drawer all over the house. Or he would do the same thing with wipes. He also used to take our pens apart and take all the springs. One day when he was around 15m I found a whole pile of pen springs in his room under the bed. My husband said he used to love springs when he was little too. I think our DD is probably gifted and I have heard siblings are usually close in that way.

Do you think this sounds gifted or just normal with a few quirks?

Have you checked out the "What to Expect" books? They gave me a very good sense about what was normal development.

They allow for a range of times when kids do stuff, so it's not panic-inducing. And unless GT denial has you in its icy grip so tightly that you think the book must just be wrong (Grinity, I'm looking right at you! wink ), it does a good job of showing you if your child is ahead of the pack for a wide variety of milestones.

Kriston
    LOL! Okay ... Grinity is not the only one that has looked at those books and said how nuts that seems and they must be truly cover the gamete (?) with that information to insure that parents do not freak out. I have had this exact conversation with my friends a few times.

I have read some books on milestones, and I got a developmental wheel from the doctor. Honestly I did not really believe they were true. I figured the people who write them put in alot of room there so parents will not get worried if a child is not doing something on time.

Really? I didn't think that the What to Expect books were thought of as accurate? Do you all think they are accurate in terms of how the majority of children develop?

It seems so weird to me that a 2 year old would not know his or her colours. Or that an 18 month old can not build towers with more than 3 blocks (or whatever they say). I honesly always thought of their milestones checklists as "way off"!

What do you all think of this book?

LOL! Yeah, that's called GT denial, ladies! grin

At least you're in good company! Many here thought there must be some mistake or that the books were trying to make people feel better.

Nope, it's just reality!

Kriston
    so do you all think the what to expect books are accurate?

I do, for normally developing kids.

Be aware that GT families tend to associate with other GT families. My kids and I were in a playgroup that led me to believe that my son was MG, most of the kids were ND, and one or two were a little delayed. It turned out that the majority of the kids were MG or HG, the ones I thought were behind are ND, and my son is HG+. Live and learn...

Your perspective may be skewed by who you spend time with. Mine sure was!

Last edited by Kriston; 11/19/08 09:17 PM. Reason: Not that I'd swear by the books or anything, but I do think they're pretty much accurate now that I know a bit more about what ND looks like.

Kriston
    When my DD was 2 weeks old I looked at a milestone checklist and laughed out loud and decided at that point that the milestones were so over the top slow and clearly protecting those parents that had boarder line disabled children since my baby had mastered all the milestones sited for 1 and 2 month old as well as part of the 3 month milestones. So you can see why I drew my conclusion about milestones.

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM