Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 232 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    JBDad Offline OP
    OP Offline

All, hopefully I'm not crossing any lines here, but I've put together a quick site:

http://gifted.uservoice.com/

Here is the general idea: I have time and energy to devote to supporting the needs of gifted kids and parents. The problem is that I don't have a good idea of what others may need. (I do have one idea, but it rather ambitious). I have a software engineering background and I build web sites for a living, so where I can leverage my skills for this cause, I'm happy to do so. The idea is along of the lines of suggest something you'd like to see done (online) that isn't already being served by existing sites. It could even be suggestions like "such-and-such after school group doesn't have a web site. Provide them one." You can vote on other ideas that have been submitted so that helps prioritize ideas that may (or may not) make sense.

I don't want to build anything that would compete with resources already out there like this site or Hoagies.

Its possibly that nothing will come out of this or the ideas will be too abstract for me to actually act on. However, without asking, I don't know. So I figure that the best way to get started is to post here. Please feel free to forward this to any/all of your other contacts in the GT community.

Thanks.

JB

P.S. This is a new service I'm using, so if you have a problem using it, just let me know via PM.

I am saying this in a tiny mouse voice because I am afraid of the ramifications of it. Also I am afraid I am not answering your question......

put together all the good evidence of how in other countries they support the gifted and talented and then show just how far those countries are ahead........... like brainyburg gives $1,000,000 to the gifted and talented and their score are "X"

show how putting money into gifted education pays of in high scores and more super fantastic scientists, and other superheros. wink

they send a link to every politician in Washington...... esspecially the ones on the at http://www.ed.gov/index.jhtml and this one http://www.nea.org/index.html

and anyone else you can think of.......

i know, it's crazy.......

Hi JB-

I think anything that helps parents or teachers to better understand and work with gifted kids is great. I like the idea of having a list of gifted blogs, though I suspect that Hoagie's may have such a list already. Especially for newbie gifted parents, hearing true stories from other families can be very enlightening. I think in part, that is why Ruf's book is so popular. The case studies really speak to people. I'm not entirely sold on her levels, but I did really enjoy reading about all the gifted children as individuals.

good luck on your new venture!

JBDad Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Well, right now I'm just in the idea gathering phase. Already a few good ideas submitted to http://gifted.uservoice.com/ . The next step will be if I see something that I think I can actually do (which I am hoping for) then I'll start working on it.

Thanks for the support!

JB

C
    cym Offline
    C
    I guess there are two tactics--one is trying to help the community-at-large and the other is affecting the one you live in. We established a gifted organization several years ago and get guest speakers (about 4/yr), write newsletters (3/yr), send out emails about legislation or programs/events in town, helped sponsor & organize poetry contest & spelling bee, and coordinate city-wide science festival annually. The festival is a huge undertaking. Sadly, we've never gotten a website together, even though it's been one of my goals forever.

It may sound all good, but I'm getting tired of it because it's so much work and very few people help. I always tell DH, "I'm not doing it again next year"...but I always do because I fear no one else will do it and I still have a couple younger kids.

Anyway, I prefer effecting change that directly affects my kids (a little selfish, but then I don't resent people for not helping). The Math Club at the middle school has been terrific. Science Olympiad competition, too. I'm getting the high school to participate in the National Financial Knowledge Challenge and AMC10/12. I asked DS7's teacher if his class could go on a big field trip--and then helped organize it, and they're already planning another one in the spring. I'll help organize field trips and service learning for the middle school too, because the teachers don't have enough time to do it and it'll never happen otherwise. There are so many organizations, businesses and individuals out there who are willing to do outreach for schools/classes (for Free!) that sometimes all it takes is someone to arrange it. The zoo will come and teach taxonomy, Game & Fish will do dissections, state parks will talk wildlife/water quality, some state-funded museums will do free education classes/crafts, department of health, BLM, power/electric company, or professionals (we had oil/gas guys talk geology) or retired persons (teach crochet, holocaust survivor talks, ballroom dancing). It's overwhelming how much is out there and could be tapped into.

I know I got off topic, JBDad. Sorry. If you are great with computers and you lived here, I'd see if you could teach a technology workshop (and I maybe I'd find a grant to pay you) like video game design, computer animation, digital photo editing, newsletters, websites. I try to find a summer institute for the middle school kids for 1 or 2 weeks that gives them a fun learning opportunity. This year we'll try robotics (I hope--it's still in the planning) but last yr we did technology.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations