Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #30301 11/12/08 10:15 PM
    Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I haven't been posting much lately because I got a 20 hour/week contract recently and so have been busy. The downside is less time for this board; the upside is obvious!!

I've been talking about DS8 and science in another thread. I thought I'd provide a little update on DS6.

His teacher told me today that they've decided to bump him up to 2nd grade reading and spelling. That's great. When I mentioned this to him he seemed very chuffed. I'm sure that watching his older brother move ahead affects him, and moving up himself in two subjects will be great for the old self-esteem.

He probably hasn't realized that they moved him up 2-3 grade levels in listening/comprehension the first week, because those big books for his listening group are just those cool books he loves.

I think DS8's small science acceleration will be the big challenge this year. I made vague references to it and didn't get an enthusiastic response (see my post called Grade skip question.

A benefit of having more money coming in means that we'll be able to pursue testing for the kids, starting with DS8. I'm thinking of getting him tested sometime this winter. If the scores match, we might apply for DYS. We'll see.

Val

Val #30788 11/17/08 04:23 PM
    Hi Val - just found this post. Congratulations on the work!

That sounds like great news for your DS6. And it is so nice to hear about a school being proactive and accelerating your son. (i'm also glad he's "chuffed" - had to look that one up!)

Good luck with the testing. I guess I don't know your history well - does your kids' school not do testing? Or are you just looking to choose your own tester?

Great news Val! I'm so thrilled to hear your children are being accomodated well. I'm glad to know you will be in a position for more testing. It's great to find DYS scores, however, testing in general gives you such a good picture of what your child may need.

We have really appreciated the WIAT and the WJ.

Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    Hi Val - just found this post. Congratulations on the work!

That sounds like great news for your DS6. And it is so nice to hear about a school being proactive and accelerating your son. (i'm also glad he's "chuffed" - had to look that one up!)

Good luck with the testing. I guess I don't know your history well - does your kids' school not do testing? Or are you just looking to choose your own tester?

We'll have to test privately. If anyone has a recommendation in the Bay area, please let me know.

Val

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM