Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 246 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    delbows #1851 01/28/07 08:31 AM
    J
    J
    Selective listening?!!! Eveyone does it. When you grow up you just get better at hiding it. wink

Jill #1852 01/28/07 09:07 AM
    J
    J
    Good one, Jill. Actually, my husband says he gets the selective listening trait from me since I sometimes zone out when he talks.

willagayle #2503 04/15/07 01:49 PM
    Dear Ones,
    I'm trying to put together a list of reccomended resouces for Medical doctors to give to parents of gifted toddlers and preschoolers.

Obviously I'll put the Ruf book on my list. But what other books or websites should go with it?

I saw this book on amazon, but couldn't get a feel for it from the info there. Has anyone who read it care to comment on "what's in it" and how helpful it is to "newbie" parents?

Parents' Guide to Raising a Gifted Toddler: Recognizing and Developing the Potential of Your Child from Birth to Five Years (Hardcover)
    by James Alvino (Author), Gifted Children Monthly (Author)

Thanks,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    willagayle #2547 04/28/07 09:03 PM
    L
    L
    Hello. Please forgive me if I am posting to an inappropriate forum/board. I just stumbled across your forum and I have been feeling very overwhelmed lately and need to find answers and was hoping some of you might be able to provide direction (you all sound very knowledgeable!).

I have had a few people tell me they think my 3yo is gifted. People have ALWAYS told me "he walks to the beat of his own drummer", etc., etc. He tracks with many traits of gifted children, from my limited knowledge. And giftedness runs in both families.

Anyway, my son has "definite difference" on many sensory areas, he's highly imaginative, extremely talkative, very busy, has always preferred older children, incredible memory, mimics things verbally to a tee, wonderful sense of humor, knew the correct names of pretty much every truck, tractor, and machine in existence before he turned 2, but my concern is that he seems not the least bit interested in learning "academics". He is so bright, and I am shocked that he can't or won't learn the alphabet or numbers by sight. Also, he seems to have trouble with puzzles. It seems like these are items that he would excel at if he were gifted. (He will spend hours immersed in "construction work" or science experiments or playing little people).

He is very social, but seems to be in his own world alot (he seeks out peers to have discussions with, but starts rambling about his imaginary friends and they look at him like "what is this kid talking about"). Consequently, he talks out loud to himself alot! His preschool teacher recenlty suggested I move him to somewhere more structured and with older children (referring to his lack of emotional control, rigidity to change, and inability to focus in all the "chaos" of this particular school-it is a child development lab school on a college campus and there are a TON of children and students just doing whatever they want for 3 hours). However, she didn't mention anything at all to me in the way of giftedness. Another concern is that he has always seemed to get anxious or stressed very easily and often, and I don't want him to go through life feeling that way.

Anyway, I could go on and on about stuff, but my main question is where do I start to find out what is going on with him? I really, really want to make sure I place him in a school that is right for him (now and in the future) and that his sensitivity issues don't impact his learning, etc. Who do I call to find out if he really is gifted? What things do I look for? How do I learn the best way to raise him if he is gifted? (I really don't want him to become the next family member who's giftedness is overlooked, if this truly is the case. Nor do I want any learning disabilities overlooked/misdiagnosed). I've noticed people on the forum have mentioned lack of resources. What IS out there? We live in San Luis Obispo, CA, which is a smaller community.

It is so hard for me to talk to people I know about this because I feel they think I am either overprotective/looking for things to worry about, or just bragging about how great I think my child is... Sometimes I wonder if he really is gifted, then shouldn't a teacher or doctor have noticed it and be the one telling me?

Well, thank you for any help any of you can provide to me.
    Leah

leah #2548 04/29/07 02:36 PM
    acs Offline
    Originally Posted by leah
    Anyway, my son has "definite difference" on many sensory areas, he's highly imaginative, extremely talkative, very busy, has always preferred older children, incredible memory, mimics things verbally to a tee, wonderful sense of humor, knew the correct names of pretty much every truck, tractor, and machine in existence before he turned 2, but my concern is that he seems not the least bit interested in learning "academics". He is so bright, and I am shocked that he can't or won't learn the alphabet or numbers by sight. Also, he seems to have trouble with puzzles. It seems like these are items that he would excel at if he were gifted. (He will spend hours immersed in "construction work" or science experiments or playing little people).

Welcome Leah,

You are in the right place and asking the right questions. Your son sounds like a remarkable child.

There are others here who are probably better at answering many of your questions and I will defer to them. But I wanted to reassure you that 1) you are in the right place and 2)Don't worry about his not wanting to learn academic things, yet. That will come with time. Children will learn what they are ready to learn when they are ready to learn it. A person who has only been in the world for 3 years just hasn't had time to learn or be interested in everything, no matter how smart they are. My son taught himself to read between 2 and 3, but did not sit independently until AFTER he learned to walk at 15 months. He has drawn mazes since he was four, but even at age 11, hates jigsaw puzzles. One of my friend's daughters struggled to learn to read at the beginning of first grade and by the end of first grade was reading Harry Potter independently. So relax (at least about that), give him lots of opportunities and expose him to stuff, but don't worry if he doesn't catch on (or even care) right away--it just means he's using his energy to do something else first.

I hope this helps!

Anne

leah #2549 04/29/07 06:50 PM
    acs Offline
    Hi Leah,

When looking for something else, i ran across this site and wondered if you might find it helpful or if other parents have thoughts about its usefulness. http://www.helendowland.fasthit.net/Helping%20gifted%20preschoolers.htm

Since DS is now 11, toddlerhood seems like a different world to me :-)

Cheers!

Anne

leah #2552 04/30/07 11:50 AM
    Originally Posted by leah
    It is so hard for me to talk to people I know about this because I feel they think I am either overprotective/looking for things to worry about, or just bragging about how great I think my child is... Sometimes I wonder if he really is gifted, then shouldn't a teacher or doctor have noticed it and be the one telling me?

Well, thank you for any help any of you can provide to me.
    Leah

I can speak to the issues of medical doctors, since I've been asking around. LOL! Pediatricians generally tend to feel that "gitedness" is a diagnosis that belongs to the psychologist, and is "outside" their area of expertise. Plus, the training tends to help folks focus on diseases, and things that are wrong - not different developmental paths.

As for teachers, lets do a little "thought experiment" - an obvious oversimplification, but I believe it's worth considering -

Since giftedness only occurs 2 in 100 kids, or less, depending on how you define it, and lets say it takes knowing 5 other gifted children well before a teacher starts to see the girtedness pattern, so a preschool teacher assigned to 10 children per year would take, on average, 25 years before he or she was ready to start talking about "hey, did you notice that your child is gifted?" An elementary teacher with 20 kids/year would only, on average, start seeing the giftendess pattern after 12 years.

You probably can count between 5 and 10 gifted family members without too much effort. So who are you going to look to for reassurance?

When my son was in 2nd grade, wearing his teacher out, the school psychologist called me in for a "little chat" with the classroom teacher, who was a kind and caring woman with 20 years experience. The psycholgist was suggesting that there was an ADHD problem. She walked over to the classroom teacher, who was sitting, bend over, squeezed the teacher's upper arms lovingly, and said: "Mrs X has been teaching class for 20 years, and she's successfully taught a lot of children with ADHD, and she's never seen anything like you son."

You could have knocked me over with a feather. Of course I believed them, and went on a long and expensive goose chase to find out "what was wrong with my son." Eventually we got IQ test result that qualified us for the Davidson Young Scholars Program - about one out of a thousand - so, 20 years, times 20 kids/year, that 400 kids over a lifetime of teaching. Yeah - it was true, she had probably never seen a kid like my boy. Didn't mean that there was something wrong with him! Did mean that there was something wrong with the fit between him and his classroom.

Even our local psychologist, who did the testing and gave his opinion afterwards didn't make much of the scores. Later, when the public school district folks said, "We checked, and there is good news, we have lots of bright kids just like your son at the Middle School, I called him back to see if maybe I was making too much of a big deal over my son's scores - there are plenty of kids I've met since then that are much more extreame academically - and he said that my son's score were the highest he had ever tested. All I can do is be grateful that the Davidson's are committed to getting this information out there and that I somehow bumped into it.

So - keep being skeptical - keep asking questions - keep reading, the "Davidson Database" link on your left takes you to lots of articles one can read.

Do look into preschools, particularly of school that have an elementary (or more) school attached. Talk and listen to what the heads of school have to say after they have observed him.

Here's an article to start with for the purposes of knowing what to document. When you go for formal testing you'll want to be able to share this information with a tester.
    http://www.educationaloptions.com/preschool_gifted.htm

One option is to get testing right now. (be sure it's with a tester who is well versed in gifted children) - Another is to look around for a different school. Another is to see if you can met other parents through your state gifted association. Please don't worry that your child "might not" be gifted - all everyone wants is for EACH child to find a way to be their "best selves" - it's probable that people who know about gifted will be very useful to you in knowing how to parent your child.

BTW - I won't laught at you for worrying that your 3 year old isn't reading! But I will take the opportunity to laught at myself. My son wasn't even at the level of "Magic Tree House" books until a good way into 1st grade - but he would listen to my reading very "above-expected" books to him for all long as I had breath left. We found an OT who was trained in "Sensory Integration" to be very useful, even at age 7, which is late, for the "extra sensitivities" that seem to go along with Giftedness for some children.

As for the anxious, thin-skinned part - we been there also. Some of it is stress from being in "poor fit" environments. Some of it is his personality, and some of it is from having "too much information/not enough experience." I made sure to "protect" him from news, Disney feature films, anything upsetting as much as I could.

I read Raising Your Spirited Child: A Guide for Parents Whose Child Is More Intense, Sensitive, Perceptive, Persistent, Energetic by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka and that helped, and I also reccomend The Out-of-Sync Child: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Processing Disorder, Revised Edition by Carol Stock Kranowitz and Lucy Jane Miller and The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun, Revised Edition: Activities for Kids with Sensory Processing Disorder by Carol Stock Kranowitz.

I guess I believe the bottom line is that I would try not to worry about if your child is or isn't gifted, instead I would focus on making his world "gifted-friendly." If you are spending some time with "regular" 3 year olds, and seeing big differences, then look into what "people who know Gifted" know, ok?

stbmom #2565 05/01/07 11:25 PM
    S
    S
    I am looking for someone who can give me advice for my 2 1/2 years old son who I think is extra-ordinary. He is very active, imaginative, energetic, and prefer to play with older children rather than his age[/color]. He does not start talking until he is 20 months old and start talking in full sentences by 2 years old. He is very talkative, full sence of humor. Before he was 1 year old (although he could not talk yet then) he can identify people, various types of trucks, primates, alphabets a-z and numbers, very good memory and can pay attention to people. He loves music too and last sunday he surprises by playing his little violin and singing for us. He likes to fix jigzaw puzzle and he can already fix the USA Map puzzle with the 50 states. He can put back the puzzle without any help. He knows the US map and can identify at least 25 states and also the world map and the flags. He can also identify 30 out of 43 Presidents of US. He loves to reading too.

I have visited a number of preschools and I am not sure if any of it is the right one for him.

I live in Alta Loma California, (Southern CA). Can any one give me some idea what can I do for my son.
    Thanks

sandra #2571 05/02/07 09:27 AM
    Welcome Sandra,

Do any of the preschools have multiage classrooms? Would any of them be willing to look at him and see if they would place him with older kids?

Best Wishes,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #2590 05/03/07 03:27 PM
    S
    S
    I have just enrolled him in a Kumon School and he starts today. I have checked out many preschools near by my area but I did not ask if they will put him with the older students... Thanks for the advice. I'll ask again.
    He is a self motivated learner.. he asks for reading, and violin and stuffs... i am planny to put him in Suzuki Violin this September when he turns 3.
    Please let me know if you have any more advice. I can even travel to Los Angeles area, if I need to..which is only about 30 miles from me.
    Thanks Trinity.
    Sandra

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM