Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 262 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #25070 09/06/08 06:44 AM
    G
    Ginny Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Hello -

I am new to this forum, but looking for advice on how to deal with our local high school, so I am hoping I am in the right place.

I have a high school jr who is gifted. He seems particularly talented in math and science. He took a CTY class this summer with a person from MIT who suggested that he be permitted to take all of the math and science classes he can. Consequently, he scheduled two math and two science classes for this year. The only way for him to do this is to take his ap english class through CTY. I told the school that I knew that they did not transfer credits in, but that I would like to challenge this policy in this case. I also said (in writing) that I was aware that one possible consequence for us is that my son would not receive a hs diploma from his home school and that this was ok with me.

I received a very harsh email yesterday, after the school day was over, that stated that, on Monday, my son's schedule would be changed. He would have to drop a math course and take english at his school.

I am wondering if the school is really within their rights to do this, or if there are grounds on which I might be able to dispute this.

Thanks.

I think that the next step is to request a meeting with the school. Have you spoken to these people face to face?

I wonder if you could pretend not to have gotten the email?
    At least until things are more settled.

Can your son do an independent study with one of the English teachers during lunch, or something like that?

Your district and state probably have websites that explain what the 'rules' are. There are probably people on the state level who you could email and try to talk to on Monday.

Just remember that 'because CTY said so' isn't going to cut any slack with the school. I would suggest more of an 'this is what is needed for my child's social, emotional, and academic nuturance.'

Good luck,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    A
    A
    As a high school junior and senior, I took several classes at the local community college. I lived in CA. There community college was free for high school students and counted for both high school and college credit.

Something like this may be another option?

G
    Ginny Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Thanks so much. I did meet with the school principal and another local administrator on 8/29. My understanding at the conclusion of the meeting was that the ball was in the school's court. They were going to investigate the possibility of transferring in credits from CTY. Unfortunately, i believed that they would advocate for us and that there would be ongoing dialogue. My next communication from the school was an email sent after the end of the school day on Friday, 9/5 stating that my son's schedule will be changed on Monday. The changes include making him take an english course there which requires that he dtop statistics. He is already doing the CTY english course and is thriving in his statistics course.

So now I am trying to figure out how to proceed. I already told the school that I understood that they could deny my son a hs diploma from their school for not fulfilling their requirements for graduation if I am unable to get them to transfer in these credits. I am fine with this.

What I need to know is can they just change his schedule and force him to drop classes that he is already attending?

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations