Hello -

I am new to this forum, but looking for advice on how to deal with our local high school, so I am hoping I am in the right place.

I have a high school jr who is gifted. He seems particularly talented in math and science. He took a CTY class this summer with a person from MIT who suggested that he be permitted to take all of the math and science classes he can. Consequently, he scheduled two math and two science classes for this year. The only way for him to do this is to take his ap english class through CTY. I told the school that I knew that they did not transfer credits in, but that I would like to challenge this policy in this case. I also said (in writing) that I was aware that one possible consequence for us is that my son would not receive a hs diploma from his home school and that this was ok with me.

I received a very harsh email yesterday, after the school day was over, that stated that, on Monday, my son's schedule would be changed. He would have to drop a math course and take english at his school.

I am wondering if the school is really within their rights to do this, or if there are grounds on which I might be able to dispute this.

Thanks.