Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 145 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Okay so DD got referred by our pedi to get a full Baily's done. I have NO idea what that is.
    This is all new to us. She is gonna be 3 in about 3 months. So she's still two but... if I had to guess I'd say she's at like a k4 or kindergarten level in everything except maybe a few fine motor skills (she just starting to learn to hold a pencil)...
    What will this Baily's thing assess? What will it tell us? What will she have to do? Do I get to be there with her? How do I use the results to make sure I'm giving her the best stimulation possible?
    wow...
    So, we're still going back and forth and back and forth on if we should put her in pre-school or not. She absolutely LOVES the idea... I don't wanna spend the money though if it's not REALLY gonna benefit her in every way.
    Maybe the full Baily's will help me know if Pre-school is a good fit for her? I donno.
    Like I said... I am SO new at this.

She amazes me everyday!

S
    S
    Hi, Brittany,

I have no answers for you but thought I'd say "welcome". I've never heard of "the full Baily's" (ok, I know, but it's gotta come out: the full monty!). I'm sure someone else will chime in and help you out.

These kids are amazing and it can be very hard to know what to do with them.

This might be what is being recommended; the spelling of Bayley is different - it might be why you couldn't find much on it.

http://www.answers.com/topic/bayley-scales-of-infant-development

Did the doc give you any reasons/clues as to their thinking in making this recommendation? Did they give you some psychologists to call about it? Definitely give them a ring to discuss if so. I think a lot of people on this forum would be curious to find out more about this assessment.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Yeah. i thought the name sounded like the full montey too! hee hee..

Well, the pedi just had his referal person set one up an apt. She kinda took it from there I think. She was gonna get us set up for the full "Bayleys" or whatever and then when she went to make those arrangements she found that it was more for the purpose of finding out if a child was developmentally delayed rather than advanced. So, concidering that and that it only goes to 3 1/2 yrs she'd probably ceiling and it wouldn't tell us much. At that point she suggested I call a school psychologist she had talked to and she was she says and then call back I guess. I talked to her today and she had some good things to say.

I think with my son taking a lot of my time and my daughter will blossoming academically it's just an awkward time to give her what she needs to be stimulated. We'll get past it and it probably not end up using any outside help (eg pre-school, assessments, tutors)....

siiggghh...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM