Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    As a kid I was labelled with high functioning autism, mostly because I didn�t connect with other children easily and had somewhat unusual interests. Not extremely different or limited, but I was a child who would rather read up on history, religion or space and talk about those topics than play in the sand or go on a slide.

I enjoyed talking with adults and older children, not just talking their ear off and holding a monologue wink

I�ve read up on everything from bipolar disorder to ADD to try to make sense of my life(and found out that I actually would feel more at home in a few other labels/conditions), and it seems like my behaviour would fit the gifted profile as well.

Giftedness wasn�t a �thing� in my native country, and I didn�t learn about the �condition� until I was nearly an adult. My therapist did tell me that I was �off the charts� in regards to intelligence once when I was fifteen(but otherwise, the topic wasn�t mentioned at all) and I did also receive a few remarks from school that my results were �unusually advanced�, but I was never labelled gifted, or anything close to that.

So, even if I did receive a diagnosis, I�ve felt more neurotypical than autistic, perhaps NT with a few ASD traits, but not so much I would ever seek an assessment. And I�m wondering if giftedness could be an explanation.

Has anyone else (or their children) experienced something similar?

A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    Welcome!

I think you'll find there are others here who resonate with your story.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM