As a kid I was labelled with high functioning autism, mostly because I didn�t connect with other children easily and had somewhat unusual interests. Not extremely different or limited, but I was a child who would rather read up on history, religion or space and talk about those topics than play in the sand or go on a slide.

I enjoyed talking with adults and older children, not just talking their ear off and holding a monologue wink

I�ve read up on everything from bipolar disorder to ADD to try to make sense of my life(and found out that I actually would feel more at home in a few other labels/conditions), and it seems like my behaviour would fit the gifted profile as well.

Giftedness wasn�t a �thing� in my native country, and I didn�t learn about the �condition� until I was nearly an adult. My therapist did tell me that I was �off the charts� in regards to intelligence once when I was fifteen(but otherwise, the topic wasn�t mentioned at all) and I did also receive a few remarks from school that my results were �unusually advanced�, but I was never labelled gifted, or anything close to that.

So, even if I did receive a diagnosis, I�ve felt more neurotypical than autistic, perhaps NT with a few ASD traits, but not so much I would ever seek an assessment. And I�m wondering if giftedness could be an explanation.

Has anyone else (or their children) experienced something similar?