Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 278 guests, and 28 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    I
    I
    Is it possible for you, as the parent, to meet with the school counselor to discuss the issues which your son is dealing with?

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Yes, I have an appointment with her tomorrow morning.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Well, that's a go then. We're going ahead with virtual school.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Good to hear you have a plan moving forward. How does your son feel about it? Does he view this as a positive change?

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Thanks! I'd have to say he's very mixed at the moment. Probably a little scared. I'm trying to give him some room. Have you ever made a change like this? Just trying to figure out how to best manage it.

Want to give him room but also not lose any work habit momentum. I guess it's a scary change for me/us too.

Have to get an answer back from the local school about cross enrolling for electives and also check in with my top 3 choices for virtual schools.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    An update...

So, he insisted on going back shortly after we pulled him (mid April) and has been miserable ever since. Self sabotaging and basically not doing any homework. We kept insisting that he go with the goal of finishing out the year but now have pulled him (only a week and a half or so to go).

I look back now and think why? Why so much pressure and stress? Daily cajoling and punishing. Thinking back years - he has been unhappy for so long.

We've decided to go with a self directed learning program via an independent distributed learning school mixed with electives at our local B&M.

I'm so relieved that the daily struggle to get him to go is over and that we have a hopefully good solution moving forward.

He seems happy with the solution. Exhale.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Another update...

He ended up switching to full time at the local B&M at the last minute. He has had to take one online course because that class was full. The first half of the year was fine but we might be getting into last half of the year misery again. Not sure though as illness (stomach trouble GERD) seems to be the cause. The medicine, a PPI, is causing fatigue and general fluey feelings that are keeping him home a lot. We spent the first 6 weeks harassing him to go anyway but then I found those symptoms as the most typical side effects of the medicine so I've backed off. Two more weeks of medicine to go. We'll see what happens then. Misery at school or back to normal.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Got back on his feet after medicine ended. I wonder if anyone else suffered when taking proton pump inhibitors. He took it for GERD. He was really fatigued and didn't get energy from food. Anyone else see this?

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM