Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 303 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    K
    K
    3 kids?! No wonder she was so overwhelmed! crazy Sounds like the right call in this case. And definitely let us know how living math goes. I'm very intrigued!

M
    M
    Wow, that really does change things! I would agree that if she was capable of ignoring him with only 2 other kids in the class then there's nothing for him to gain from it. And, really, how much of a peer group is 2 other kids?

Is there another co-op near you? Ours offers a huge variety of classes and splits the kids up into 4 groups (3-5yo, though they let DD2 participate, 6-11yo, young teens and older teens- the teen groups seem more fluid than the younger kids). I hope you guys can find a better fit!

Originally Posted by Kriston
    P.S. BBD: You're ALWAYS in the position to give me advice! Please! Sensible minds should always feel free to chime in, regardless of how old your kids are.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. As it happens, I'm much more qualified to take advice than give it. But I try not to let that get in the way...

Interesting bit of info about the class-size. If the conditions were right then that might have been just the kind of situation for your DS to work on his speaking-up skills. Sadly, it sounds like the stars weren't aligned. Throw in the long commute, and I can certainly understand your decision.

BB

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Well, the class is supposed to be in the neighborhood of 8 or 10 kids normally, but a lot of them were absent today. And there was the boy who dropped out. The group grows ever smaller...

No, this is the only co-op for kids his age that I know of. There are little ones here or there--three families in one neighborhood or some such thing. But nothing like what you're describing, M&M. Lots of classes here and there though. That worked for us last year, so it will probably do for this year.

I still can't believe I forgot to mention the number of kids. Sheesh. How addled am I, anyway!?! No wonder people were so much more positive about the experience than I felt. Sorry, gang! blush

Kriston
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by BaseballDad
    As it happens, I'm much more qualified to take advice than give it. But I try not to let that get in the way...

Good on ya'! Not being an expert never kept me from spouting off! It shouldn't stop you either. laugh

Kriston
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I'll check it out, kcab. Thanks for the tip. This site is all new to me, so I'll go explore.

Oh, and my dad became a woodworker once he retired. Just from a glance, it looks like I could ask him to make a lot of these for cheap. They're just dowels and tiles from what I can tell. Hmmm...

Kriston
    My my I leave this thread for a couple of hours and we're on page 5 of replies!

Now knowing that there are only 3 children in the class probably would change my recommendation too...

JB

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Wow you're not kidding about the price, kcab! Youch! When it's in the thousands of dollars, my cheapskate brain just short-circuits!

The library kit is even pretty rich for my blood. It looks like individual tasks are just $15 each though.

I may use the freebies on the website as much as possible and then consider if we need more. I think you're 100% right that it's living math at its finest, with lots of good problem-solving material, and I really appreciate your drawing it to my attention. I'm not sure I'll spring for it, but I'm bookmarking it and keeping it in mind. Thanks a bunch! smile

***I just had a thought--this would be in Australian dollars, right? I have no clue what the exchange rate is, so this might not be as expensive as it looks to me...or given the weak dollar, it might be worse... wink

Last edited by Kriston; 08/26/08 08:05 PM. Reason: added international realization--I am REALLY slow today!!!

Kriston
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ah! I thought the Maths300 was an online support deal. I didn't realize it has 50 lessons included. (I am reading that right, aren't I?)

I checked the conversion and that means it's only $106 American dollars for the 50 online lessons, assuming I'm not misreading. That's much more do-able.

P.S. Reasons I shy away from packaged curriculum: I never understand what's included. If I'm not smart enough to read the website, maybe I shouldn't be using the curriculum, eh? (Alternate reading: if the website is confusing, how will the curriculum be? eek )

Kriston
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Yes, I read it as you did. Access to the 50 lessons is all I would need. I can print it if I need it, and for the manipulatives, I really think we can make them/make do.

I will call them. It sounds like it might be a nice addition to our math plans for the year.

If I get it and get confused, I'll PM you for advice! smile

Kriston
    Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM