Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 270 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    Actually, you hit on what has become the one thing I hope he gets from the class: speaking up for himself!

I'm in no position to give advice, since our DS is still only 4 and I have no experience with this kind of thing at all. But just from the outside I wonder whether it's a bit more difficult for your DS to learn to speak up for himself when you're there to speak up for him. I know you say the teacher says you should be in the classroom, and that's certainly some reason to attend. But you also say she clearly is annoyed (or perhaps, rather, intimidated?) by your presence. If your son really is enjoying it, and wants to keep going, maybe it would be easier and better for everyone if you just let him have a go on his own.

BB

Oops. Cross-posted again. Well, it seems like you've thought it out pretty carefully, so I won't add anything more.

BB

You saw it coming, huh, 'Neato? Why didn't you stop me!?! It's your job to save me from myself!

LOL! Because, when I see the light at the end of the tunnel, I'm never sure if it's the exit or the train! You know! LOL!

I second guess my gut feelings too much, gee, I gotta work on that! grin

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Just to follow-up, since you were kind enough to post for me... smile

The first week, when I wasn't there, he said nothing, she said. (I couldn't attend--the sitter took him.) She said he was a lot more talkative with me there. When I left the room today to help DS4, she said he got quiet again.

I wonder if he was quiet or if she was just more able to ignore him, but I'll take her word for it...

BTW, I just told DS7 that we could do living math at home, and then we wouldn't go to the co-op. He said that was fine with him. He worried about missing the park play afterwards, but that won't go on much longer anyway.

Though if he really wants to go, maybe we'll put him in the way-too-easy ancient Egypt class that his DS4 is in. (DS7 also had this last year in a GT Saturday class, so it's even a way-too-easy re-run! *sigh*) If I want the social for him, maybe that's a better choice...

Still mulling that part over...It's a LOT of driving for very little social time!

P.S. BBD: You're ALWAYS in the position to give me advice! Please! Sensible minds should always feel free to chime in, regardless of how old your kids are. laugh

Kriston
    Sounds like you made a good decision, Kriston.

Originally Posted by BaseballDad
    [quote=Kriston]
    I'm in no position to give advice, since our DS is still only 4 and I have no experience with this kind of thing at all. BB

Wait a minute.....is that supposed to stop us? wink must...comment...can't....help.....myself....don't....care....that....my...child....is....4

Last edited by st pauli girl; 08/26/08 02:47 PM.
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Neato, When they're gut feelings about MY situation, please send them my way! You can second-guess after you've told me that they exist!!!

grin

Kriston
    That's a real good point, though, BBdad. The kids need opportunities to practice things like learning to speak up for themselves. The tough thing about these decisions I think is trying to figure out whether the situation involved is an age appropriate and realistic situation for the child to do so.

By the way Kriston describes this one, it seems as if the parent has made a decision prior that DS is too young. Some people can asess when they've made a wrong pre-assumption and change tack quickly. Some can't. I didn't get the impression that this woman was particularly self-aware in this aspect. Now this might be a great learning experience for say, a 13, 14 or 15 year old who has a little more social experience, for a variety of reasons. But 6,7,8,9,10? I'm not so sure. Perhaps it could have turned into an exceptionally positive and productive learning experience. Given the facts at hand though, I tend to think the risk outweighs the reward.

((shrug))

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    Sounds like you made a good decision, Kriston.

Originally Posted by BaseballDad
    I'm in no position to give advice, since our DS is still only 4 and I have no experience with this kind of thing at all. BB

Wait a minute.....is that supposed to stop us? wink must...comment...can't....help.....myself....don't....care....that....my...child....is....4

You go, girl! Advise away, please.

Hey, I don't discriminate based on age!!! wink

Kriston
    Okay, Kriston, next time. I do try to be careful when swinging my very strong opinions around. Sometimes I'm wrong! shocked (many times) blush

Also, just cause your child is four doesn't mean you can't dish out advice. I think most of us are lookin for insight from intelligent people, not necessarily only from parents of kids the same ages as ours. wink

Ahhhhhh Kriston we crossposted:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM