Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    smiley2 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    The only copy is checked out of my library. I understand there to be ten sections-General Information, Critical Items, School History, Assessment of Ability, Aptitude and Achievement, School and Academic Factors, Developmental Factors, Interpersonal Skills, Attitude and Support.
    WISC V score is on file as is MAP score. Is there any other testing required for the elementary child? Will my child be involved in the IAS administration or is the IAS just an "adult" thing? I've already read the article on the IAS on the Hoagies site.
    When looking at whole grade v subject, how does unequal performance in subjects weigh in? For ex, child is strong in math for current grade , but stronger in reading or vice vera?

I
    I
    The Iowa Acceleration Scale is a frequently discussed topic on the forums. smile Others may be able to share their recent experiences which may be similar to your circumstances, but in the meanwhile here are some links to old posts which seem to touch upon your questions.

Originally Posted by smiley2
    WISC V score is on file as is MAP score. Is there any other testing required for the elementary child?
    This old post discusses tests for Ability, Aptitude, Achievement for the IAS.

Will my child be involved in the IAS administration or is the IAS just an "adult" thing?
    The IAS does gather information on the how the child feels about a possible acceleration. Because the child provides input into the process, yes, the child is aware of and involved in the IAS administration. However I've never known a child's involvement to include attending the decision-making meeting.

When looking at whole grade v subject, how does unequal performance in subjects weigh in? For ex, child is strong in math for current grade , but stronger in reading or vice vera?
    This old post discusses single subject acceleration (SSA), IQ cutoff.

Will my child be involved in the IAS administration or is the IAS just an "adult" thing?

Our DD was evaluated by two different school systems: the second grade skip was handled by a small private school and the sixth grade skip was evaluated by a large public school district. Both times the IAS committee did not include our DD (nor do I think it should have). DD filled out a survey for the second skip, of course did all the testing, and met with school counselors and psychologists for both, but as for the actual evaluation committee meeting, she was not present.

Best of luck,
    --S.F.

For gifted children, doing nothing is the wrong choice.
    S
    S
    Another factor at play with subject acceleration is the school's ability to differentiate. Reading is easier to differentiate, so a child who is advanced but less strong in reading might have needs met with differentiation. However if that students is very strong in math, which is harder to differentiate, the school may propose subject acceleration in math with differentiation in reading. This is probably ideal for the high achiever or the bright-and-balanced intelligent child who fits well with age peers socially.

My experience is that strong reading was overlooked. The school didn't seem to grasp that my son was as advanced in all subjects (science, social studies) as he was in reading because he was absorbing content so fast due to his strong reading. They treated his strong reading almost like a splinter skill that didn't require anything, rather than an indication that he was advanced in all subject areas. They offered single subject acceleration in math only, which prompted me to switch schools.

This is likely an effect of Common Core. Common Core changed the emphasis on reading from fiction to nonfiction (that's good), but in elementary years the Common Core model is built so that science and social studies are presented through reading and language arts. So, when children are being compared to above grade level in elementary years, the Common Core schools are really only looking at math and reading. I think this makes subject acceleration seem like a good solution in cases when a child would be better served by whole grade acceleration.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by sanne
    Common Core changed the emphasis on reading from fiction to nonfiction (that's good)...
    As a person who enjoys viewing things from a variety of vantage points then comparing/contrasting... I will share this link to Fiction or Nonfiction? Considering the Common Core’s Emphasis on Informational Text (NYT, The Learning Network, by Amanda Christy Brown and Katherine Schulten, December 13, 2012) which provides essays from several schools of thought... pro, con, and neutral. smile

That said, the IAS is still a great tool regardless of the current set of standards or curriculum emphasis.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets