Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #209751 01/27/15 08:54 AM
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    My son is in kindergarten and has not been engaged throughout the year. Because of this, and other gifted traits, he gets negative colors (they use a green, yellow, orange, red system) a lot. His school is doing a pilot reading program where students are paired according to level.

He is reading well (he reads a lot of minecraft material), but he had to stay in K reading because he's "not comprehending" what he reads. What's actually going on is he dislikes the books and worksheets. I haven't been able to allow us to read and do the worksheets over topics he's interested in for homework instead of the little books they send home. When I ask him what we read, he says, "I don't know" or "I don't remember." I told him that's why he didn't go to 1st grade for reading, at which point he broke down the whole book for me.

I know he has to "perform" for them, but it's frustrating. They can see his ability to comprehend in a million other ways. He's running his poor teacher ragged and she's reaching the end of her line.

They don't offer a gifted program until 2nd grade, and I'm not sure we can handle another year of this type of thing. I want to look into subject acceleration, even though they don't currently provide it. What subject tests would any of you suggest?

I'd just like to see him more engaged and working on his level, but I don't think he's socially mature enough for grade acceleration. Thoughts? Thanks.

I
    I
    What subject tests would any of you suggest?
    My 2 cents: portfolio including reading list and video tape of his analysis of what he read. Also anything mathy, and anything scientific/creative/building he may have done. If he fails to make academic progress and/or regresses, you may be glad to have evidence of his current performance level.

Have you considered applying to DYS ?

I'd just like to see him more engaged and working on his level, but I don't think he's socially mature enough for grade acceleration. Thoughts? Thanks.
    You may have read this previously on the forums... the Iowa Acceleration Scale (IAS) helps place a lot of issues on the table for discussion, which may not otherwise be considered.

Additionally, the landmark work on acceleration A Nation Deceived, which has served well for a decade, is now updated: A Nation Empowered. Web seminar (webinar) January 29, 2015.

The IAS is subtitled, "A Guide for Whole-Grade Acceleration K-8", therefore not addressed specifically to single-subject acceleration, (although single-subject acceleration is mentioned briefly in the Manual on page 104, and Planning Record page 3). Some schools may use the IAS to prepare a complete record of a student's scores and "thoroughly discuss the case and to consider other curricular options and recommendations for the student." (Manual page 34)

While an IQ of at least one standard deviation above the norm is considered one of several critical factors for whole-grade acceleration (Manual page 35; Form page 4), it is also stated that a student performing above the 50th percentile on above-level material may be ready for "more challenging material" (Manual page 120). Consideration is given to the student being successful under the expectations of the new environment and also being successful in the long term (Manual page 5).

Page numbers were provided above so that interested parties may read the selected statements in context.

To prepare for advocacy for single-subject acceleration, you may also wish to look at the book and forms by Dr. Karen B. Rogers.

socially mature
    You may have read this previously on the forums... Direct teaching of social skills can be facilitated, in some cases, with books/resources such as The Unwritten Rules of Friendship (which is geared for parents to read and digest so they may guide their children), The Gifted Kids' Survival Guide (which is geared for kids but parents may wish to read it first to prepare for meaningful and supportive conversations, following questions their kids may have when they read it), and Social Thinking (which discusses skills in perspective taking).

Many families also experience positive results from enrolling their kiddos in martial arts.

N
    OP Offline
    N
    Wow. This is great info. Thank you.

We're working on some of those social things. He has an issue with anxiety, and he's seeing someone to help him learn ways of dealing with it. It's not social anxiety. He gets a long great with peers and parents. It's a transition issue or environment issue.

We really struggle to sit still, but I have been told by two therapists that he doesn't exhibit ADHD behaviors. He may just have a psychomotor OE. I worry about whole grade acceleration because he struggles to sit and he adamantly refuses to do worksheets.

We have tried martial arts, but it didn't go over well. Might be worth another shot, though. Part of the problem is he's so literal. If you're not specific enough, he will take you just at what you said.

I like the idea of a portfolio. He entered an invention contest last year and is doing it again this year. He creates all sorts of things and has ideas for future endeavors.

Thanks again for all the input. I likely have a tough road ahead!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM