Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #238216 05/08/17 12:04 PM
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    I've heard the term "rage to master" to describe the ferocity with which a gifted child learns a topic. How do we (as a parent) distinguish this trait from the "special interest " type focus that can be associated with high functioning autism (formerly aspergers)?

My ds5 has made huge strides socially and emotionally in his first year of school, but we struggle with the amount of time he would like to spend learning whichever topic he has chosen for the month(s). He is my oldest, so I am not sure how "normal " his behavior is, or if smart kids just get hooked on an area.

He is currently interested/obsessed with presidents. He reads many books about them, but has a particular fascination for numbers/dates of the presidents. For each president, he knows: the month/day/year of birth and death, term of office, vice president(s) with often years of birth/death, First Lady often with year of birth/death, nicknames or given names, random facts. He can sort all of this information and apply it to different settings. Prior to this focus, he learned everything he could about the solar system ((including a crazy recollection for all the statistical data associated with each planet).

I am having trouble reconciling how this amount of numerical data could be stored in long term memory without there being something "wrong". When I voice concerns to his pediatrician, he doesn't seem at all concerned about it. Many parents on here may have raised a similar child, I would appreciate any feedback.

P
    P
    I have a PG and an HG and neither do this. Their friend with ASD1 does. I have heard on boards that lots of gifted kids do though and my kids didn't read early either.

O
    O
    My DS5 is obsessed with all things animal. He knows excruciating detail about a variety of species and their habitats, due to endless research. He has some spectrum-like characteristics because he has DCD/dyspraxia, including hand-flapping when very excited and some sensory issues. However, no one (teachers, school psych, pediatrician, neurologist, SLP) seems to think he has ASD, as he is very good socially with one-on-one interactions with both adults and other kids. Interactions with large groups of kids are not his forte, I think in part due to anxiety. He is in a social skills program for group dynamics and dyspraxia-related issues like difficulty judging personal space. We have a plan for a neuropsych eval at 6 to better delineate his 2e issues for school. I would say I'm only about 95% sure he does not have ASD; I totally understand not being sure with what lens one should view certain behaviors. I may be in the minority view here, but I would argue that if he is happy and thriving you don't need to know right now. If he starts struggling somewhere (school, socially, etc), then it may be the time to start looking for answers. Having the dyspraxia diagnosis HAS been helpful in helping our DS with motor issues, or dealing with school issues like difficulty packing up all his stuff at the end of the day, but those were real out-of-the norm challenges impacting his functioning. If your son's rage to master is a positive experience for him and he is not having trouble getting along in other aspects of his life, I would not go looking for a diagnosis for a "disorder".

C
    C
    This is not professional advice. Our ODS was somewhat similar, although he didn't express his knowledge in such a classified manner. He still remembers and can offer up substantial amounts of information about various dinosaurs. It's been about five years since that was his passion (or one of them). Our YDS, who is much more easygoing, can recite and reclassify endless PokeMon information (and will, whether or not anyone is listening).

I personally might worry less about the fact that he does this and look more to how he does with family life, friends, etc. (Allowing for the variation that is normal with gifted kids.) Is this getting in his way, or just something he does?

Keep in mind that there may not be enough material otherwise at school to keep him occupied...

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    My particular kids don't, but among my first-hand circle of GT acquaintance of all ages, I know several who have had fascinations (cars, planes, buses, aquatic animals, dinosaurs, dogs, sports, etc.). I also know a few information omnivores, who don't so much have a rage to master a particular topic, as have a huge thirst for any kind of knowledge. Some of them are on the more reserved or socially-awkward end of the temperament spectrum, and others are more social. I have seen almost all of them socializing in a reasonably age-appropriate way when in the presence of intellectual peers who can keep up with the rate of their information processing, and appreciate their store of knowledge, even if they don't share a common fascination.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    S
    S
    I'm not sure I can be any help as I have a DS7 who IS diagnosed with ASD, but I don't agree with the diagnosis. So nothing clear cut is going to come from me! But I can share our experience.

DS has always been the sort to get really into one thing or sometimes a few things at a time. When he was an infant he wanted the same favorite books over and over. Near 1 he was into colors and shapes, after that construction vehicles (and he knew everything about them, not just the type), around 18 months it was numbers and letters, just before 2 he learned all of the frogs and butterflies we could find books on. After that he was into learning to read, but once he learned he was no longer interested, he didn't sit down and really enjoy reading until about 2 years later (although he still loved listening to us read)! We went through Lego obsession and marble runs and mazes (he loved to do them, but mostly he enjoyed designing them). And around 4 he switched gears from being more into words and letters and got really into math. He carried his math workbook with him everywhere for about a year and then promptly lost all interest in math again for another year (but he got back into math again in a big way and still loves it).

He always was able to easily remember numbers and seems to place more importance on them than pretty much anyone else would. We can watch a movie together and later he will say something like "I like that movie, there are 6 scenes with a cat in them." He will also say things like "I want to watch movie x because it's only 108 minutes long and we have an appointment in two hours." I'm wondering how or why he knows the length of the movie, lol. Just today he told me that on the 4th day of March something or another (it was in the car, I didn't fully hear him) happened on the cosmic calendar and I realized he was talking about Cosmos. Now, I remember the cosmic calendar and I remember about when things happened on it's representation of the course of world history, but I would never have remembered the exact dates they mentioned on the show like DS does. But then numbers don't have all that much meaning to me and are not an area of interest.

Right now DS is really into geography and wants to constantly quiz us on info on his maps. He also spends a lot of time just looking at them and talking about capitals and such. He has a talking globe and he loves to listen to the distance between places, while I prefer to listen to the music from the different countries! I think that makes me more normal smile

DS is in no way NT though, he has ADHD and TS and is gifted (and is too close to call on ASD), so he won't fall into a neat group for compare and contrast purposes. He is doing great though and socially he has come a long way since starting treatment for ADHD.

I will say that I started voicing concerns to our pediatrician about DS at 10 months and we were told not to worry (well, technically I was concerned since he was born as he cried more often than not for about 14 months straight). At our checkup at 2 I mentioned DS was lining things up. That got us an evaluation at 2.5 and an ASD diagnosis. I mean, my kid was weird. He did all sorts of things that concerned us and amazed us, but there was no alarm at the pediatrician until we mentioned that one behavior. He continued to line things up until 3, then the behavior was gone. My point is, ASD or not, something was clearly wrong with DS, but the pediatrician was no help. I did not realize it at the time, but we could have contacted early intervention at any time, we didn't have to wait for our pediatrician to refer us or anything. I would definitely suggest that you see a developmental pediatrician if you are concerned. Maybe they tell you it's nothing and you can stop worrying, or maybe they tell you it's something and you can get your DS help now while he is still young.

Ocelot #238228 05/08/17 07:10 PM
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    Originally Posted by Ocelot
    I would argue that if he is happy and thriving you don't need to know right now. If he starts struggling somewhere (school, socially, etc), then it may be the time to start looking for answers.
    He is a very happy child, and loves school. He is making slow but significant improvements socially (he is one of the youngest in his class). We aren't running towards a diagnosis, but seeking to more fully understand how to best support him. I figure he is the same kid with or without a label; we would only seek if it leads to extra help. He will be able to do 1 day gifted pull out next year, as well as speech and a social flexibility group.

Portia #238232 05/08/17 08:22 PM
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    Originally Posted by Portia
    I have this child. Solar system, presidents, and all.

When DS was younger (age 3), he was diagnosed with ASD because of the sensory issues and this rage to master focus. However, as he aged, (had multiple therapies to help with challenge issues), his diagnosis was questioned repeatedly. He is no longer considered ASD. The "hyperfocus" which can be found in both gifted and ASD communities has a very fine hair which can be split. The difference (in our experience) is what is done with the information. For example, is it strictly memorized or is the information malleable? Is it strictly facts rattled off or can the information be used to imply or deduce non-obvious features?

At what age was your child's asd diagnosis removed, and what age is he now? I am far from an expert in early child learning, but my son appears to be pretty flexible with the information that he has learned. The pieces build upon each other and he can answer questions that force him to manipulate the data out of the original form in which he learned it.

We also found the reason for the hyperfocus was important. Is the memorization used to help create a world, internal or otherwise, in which all things are predictable and controllable? Is the hyperfocus used to explore and learn, then deepen the knowledge by associating it with other facts that are learned?
    I think initially it is just to learn because it is interesting, but then he will "draw" numbers and figures as a calming/relaxation technique. His teacher has sent home pages and pages of presidential date ranges.

It could be that your DC has a very high working memory. When/if you have him tested, you will need to find someone with a good background in both 2e and gifted. Not an either/or as they can't split the fine hairs.

Note: very high working memory brings a whole different aspect to highly gifted that you will need to research should that be the road you travel.

Could you list a few examples of unique aspects/challenges?

N
    OP Offline
    N
    Originally Posted by SaturnFan
    I'm not sure I can be any help as I have a DS7 who IS diagnosed with ASD, but I don't agree with the diagnosis. So nothing clear cut is going to come from me! But I can share our experience.

He always was able to easily remember numbers and seems to place more importance on them than pretty much anyone else would. We can watch a movie together and later he will say something like "I like that movie, there are 6 scenes with a cat in them." He will also say things like "I want to watch movie x because it's only 108 minutes long and we have an appointment in two hours."

This section sounds a lot like my child. What are the best things that you have found to help support his development?

Portia #238239 05/09/17 07:25 AM
    I
    I
    High working memory... can do tremendous, very complicated tasks in his head... It also means I have to pay attention to everything I agree to do with him as he will remember it. I also have to make sure the information he collects as facts are actually facts. If there are gray areas, I need to clearly explain the boundaries so he knows how to integrate the information. If he thinks I am not right, he can clearly present a case to show his logic. I have to really be on my toes. In many cases, I love watching the way he thinks. When I am tired, well...
    This is so familiar... keeping us on our toes... and tired! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...