Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 401 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    J
    J
    It's a frustrating process. I try to focus on one year at a time. I think, "Is this the best place for my children right now?" Getting worried about the future is too difficult because things change constantly - new principal or different teacher or changes to curriculum. Just breath and try to make the best choice available at this moment.

T
    T
    I chuckled at the price you quoted. Around here the norm is 40k and we go to a bargain school at 19k.

I am sure my son can handle a much faster curriculum, particularly in Math. But so far we found it to be worth it, because it is simply less torturous. Lots of PE, art, and music. The curriculum just seems a bit richer in other subjects too. It makes a difference whether a child likes to go to school or not. This is particularly true in the earlier years where the public school follows the common core religiously. I think by late elementary, the pace may pick up a bit. For now, my son is happy where he is even if he does complain about math being too easy.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
    Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
    they were sure he wasn't gifted,

We looked at a local private gifted school for ds11. They told us they didn't think he could handle their math program, which is +1 to the local schools. The program he was in had him in is +2 by 7th grade (Algebra I) . He is beyond that and is currently +4 (taking Algebra I as a 5th grader).Needless to say, the school turned him down with his IQ just below DYS cut off.

Wow. That's ridiculous. What was their rationale/evidence? (By now, I know they don't always have any logical reason...)

F
    F
    Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
    they were sure he wasn't gifted,

We looked at a local private gifted school for ds11. They told us they didn't think he could handle their math program, which is +1 to the local schools. The program he was in had him in is +2 by 7th grade (Algebra I) . He is beyond that and is currently +4 (taking Algebra I as a 5th grader).Needless to say, the school turned him down with his IQ just below DYS cut off.

Wow. That's ridiculous. What was their rationale/evidence? (By now, I know they don't always have any logical reason...)

We were told they don't deal with kids like him. (We found out about 8 months ago he is on the ASD spectrum (formerly Aspergers). We also know (one of the teachers at our public school has a friend who teaches at the private school) they do have 2E kids at the school. They had a new admissions director last year when we were looking. She only lasted the year. We received an invitation to come for a visit about 2 months ago. Needless to say, he aren't going forward with that process again. DS is in a happy place right now. I think the only benefit for us seeking a gifted school at this point, would be the enhanced science. DS STILL talks about the 2 days of science class he experienced during his visit.

Originally Posted by Thomas Percy
    I chuckled at the price you quoted. Around here the norm is 40k and we go to a bargain school at 19k.

I am sure my son can handle a much faster curriculum, particularly in Math. But so far we found it to be worth it, because it is simply less torturous. Lots of PE, art, and music. The curriculum just seems a bit richer in other subjects too. It makes a difference whether a child likes to go to school or not. This is particularly true in the earlier years where the public school follows the common core religiously. I think by late elementary, the pace may pick up a bit. For now, my son is happy where he is even if he does complain about math being too easy.

Well, around here, that seems to be the general range. Meaning $8K to $18K.

The $18K is the standard-issue "elitish private school with some very wealthy kids". My wife distinctly disliked her experience there, so we are not sending our kids there.

I'm honestly not sure *why* it is so inexpensive here, now that I think about it. It's not like we suffer a lack of extremely wealthy people.

T
    T
    JohLaw, Now I am curious about where you live. Lots of wealth but cheap private schools.

Val Offline
    Low tuition could be due to competition. I live in the Bay Area, which certainly has a lot of wealthy people and high overall costs. Oddly, private school fees are one of the few things here that aren't insanely high (e.g., compared to a million dollars for a 1200SF house on 6,000 feet of land).

There are loads of K-8 private schools around here --- as in, pages and pages of listings in the small-font full-page tables that Bay Area Parent publishes. I imagine that sheer numbers keep the fees low. Many or most (?) of the Catholic schools charge less than $10K annually (a lot less if you're a parishioner). Many of the secular ones are in the $10-15K range. The high schools are pricier, but there are fewer of them. Even so, that means low to mid 20s for most of them, with the odd small one below $20K. We don't have many of the 35-40K+ schools here. That price point seems to be the rule back east (?).

Originally Posted by Thomas Percy
    JohLaw, Now I am curious about where you live. Lots of wealth but cheap private schools.

I sent you some local real estate listings for you to review.

S
    S
    Here in SF proper, private schools (independent, not parochial), do indeed run around $30K/year. (Parochials are less expensive.)

That's for K-8; HS costs even more. (Random example: Urban, which runs $42K/yr for soph-sr. http://www.urbanschool.org/page.cfm?p=170)

F
    F
    I almost choked on my lunch! Here the private gifted are about 18k.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM