Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    L
    L
    I'm here just in case DD4 turns out to be PG like her dad (or just run of the mill HG, like me 😉). Need to know what/how to advocate for her.

Also here because I have no local resources, groups, etc., because gifted education is completely off the radar in Spain.

I'm here because I suspect DD2 is gifted, and it caught me unawares, plus it has shed light on some of my own school experiences. This is the first place I've felt DD's idiosyncracies are considered possibly "normal" and not something wrong with one or the other of us.

I
    I
    Welcome!

While gifted kids can be markedly different than their chronological age peers, and in reaching their milestones can show asynchronous development, they may also, at the same time have a learning disability. When this occurs, the kids are called twice exceptional or 2e. IMO, some of the saddest stories are those in which a kiddo's "quirks" were dismissed or accepted by parents until the child was older and struggling (socially and/or academically and/or with organization and/or time management). I say sad because if these "quirks" had been correctly identified as a learning disability earlier, there are many remediation helps and accommodations available to assist these kids with their development.

Please keep a watchful eye on your child's idiosyncrasies, in case some of the traits may indicate a future need to have testing/assessment for not only giftedness but also for potential learning disabilities.

Thanks Indigo. Sorry for the delay, I'm new enough I'm having moderation issues.

I
    I
    I believe new member's first 5 posts are held for moderation... just three more posts go! smile

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM