Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    T
    Tigerle Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    DD6 is the youngest in a split 1st/2nd classroom of 29 kids. My musings and ranting about the situation can be found here: http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/233937/1.html
    The other day we had our first conference. (I put off talking to the teacher about challenging DD until now because she started having headaches which kept her out of school a lot during the last three months, but disappeared after Christmas with no one the wiser).
    So DD does very well, is happy and well behaved etc., just keeps forgetting to hand in her homework. I sent DD out to put on her boots in the hallway, take a deep breath and start mumbling about whether the teacher thinks she is sufficiently challenged doing first grade work.
    Teacher says: oh, can I *please* stick her into second!
    Me: umm. Ah, that's what I was going to ask about.
    She'll speak to the principal but thinks she'll be amenable, since they are having another grade skip from second into third in the works, and come back to me.
    Could things be this easy?
    I am worried about social aspects now: there are two red shirted girls among the five first graders who do very well as far as I know but the teacher denied there are more skips in the pipeline, because she thinks only DD currently has the necessary focus and stamina to catch up easily. The other two first grade kids I think are somewhat struggling and DD has already had run ins with them. I may be paranoid but don't think it's unconnected. I'm worried DD may get rejected by the cosy first graders group and not be accepted by the second graders either, and wondering whether it were feasible to just give her second grade work without having her outed as a grade skipper until the end of the year. Or am I being totally naive?

T
    Tigerle Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Wow, this woman actually called you just to tell you that? How incredibly rude. Good for you for keeping your wits about you and actually manipulating her into being helpful! I would have been too flabbergasted.

Since this is a split classroom already, the grade skip wouldn't involve any physical move at all - just a change in status, visible in the work she'd get and which group she'd go to whenever there are pullouts or extra periods (one day a week the first graders stay for an extra period, one day the second graders).
    Right now, the 24 second graders treat the five first graders a bit like pets, enjoying their own superior status while being helpful. DD is tiny even for a six year old, blond and cute, and as a rule hiding her completely outsize personality behind a quietly observant and affectionate demeanour, so, pet status right now works well for her. I worried that sudden elevation to second grader status might turn her from pet to threat in their eyes, kWIM?
    The teacher has announced from the start that, considering that she's got first graders who read better than second graders, reading will be grouped strictly by ability, period, so that is not a concern. What I think I might ask for is giving her second grade math work right away and have her take part in math instruction for the second graders, pull outs or extra periods or whAtever. (Science, specials etc. are combined anyway). However, with writing and spelling she is at first grade level, so I imagine she could stay with the first graders for that one, and work on a cursive workbook sat home on her own (which is what the second graders have been working of since fall).
    So this could be considered single subject acceleration and she could nominally remain a first grader until the end of the year, when things will be shaken up anyway, officially moving on into third grade, and everyone's had time to get used to things.
    Sound feasible? Or paranoid?

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM