Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline
    Every year, I struggle to get DD8 challenged in math at school.

In 1st grade, the teacher agreed with me that she needed more challenge. So I came in once a week and played math strategy games and puzzles with DD and 3 other gifted kiddos. She enjoyed it, but I don't feel like it challenged her math skills overall. And DD was still sitting through repetitive math lessons.

Last year in 2nd grade, I expressed my concern to the teacher: DD needs more challenge in math. The teacher agreed and said she would give her harder problems to do. So when the rest of the class was doing 2- and 3-digit addition/subtraction, DD and a small group of like-minded kids were doing 4-digit add/subtraction. I was glad she got to work on bigger numbers, but again I wasn't fully satisfied because DD was not allowed to move on after mastering a concept. And I don't feel like it advanced her math skills much.

Now DD8 is in third grade. And again, we can tell she is not being challenged, and she's developed a lazy attitude toward figuring out harder math. But she's VERY capable of learning quickly and understanding math concepts with little instruction, and I think her laziness has come from never having to try.

I am getting ready to broach the subject with her teacher. Thankfully our school system has a great Gifted program where DD8 goes every day to a classroom with teachers who are specially trained to handle gifted kids/situations. So I did send a message to the gifted teacher to get her ideas on the situation, however I'm still awaiting her reply.

I don't have many test scores for DD. When we moved to this district 2 years ago, she took the OLSAT. If memory serves, she scored in the 99% for math and 97% for reading. Initially, her MAP tests in 1st grade had her at 99% for both math and reading. Over the last 2 years, her math MAP test score has dropped considerably which I believe is a symptom of her lazy math behavior. Plus she gets tired of taking the test for so long.

So, I'm wondering: should we enrich? Or attempt acceleration?

Any ideas/anecdotes appreciated!

Q
    Q
    Well, I would definitely get a feel from your DD's regular teacher and her GT teacher as far as their perceptions of her ability and achievement relative to her peers. As far as acceleration, it can proceed smoothly if her teachers agreed that she is an outlier. The fact that her MAP scores have dropped considerably from Fall 1st grade to Fall 3rd grade can impede your advocacy especially if she has many classmates who score higher. You may want to enrich before seeking acceleration in hopes of bringing up her scores. Talent Search (JHU CTY, NUMATS, Duke TIP, Belin-Blank, etc.) may be a place to start.

OP Offline
    Thanks for the tips on the Talent Search ideas.

I am concerned her recent MAP score (of 91 percentile) may make this difficult. When I asked her about the test, she said she gets tired of answering questions so she starts guessing.
    :P

Plus DD8 is very compliant even when bored; she prides herself on being a model student behaviorally. So when I talk with her teachers, I'm not sure they're going to see a child who is showing signs of boredom (acting out, day dreaming, etc). Definitely takes after her dad in the underachievement category!

That being said, I felt like the last 2 years of enrichment took away 25% of her boredom, so I'm leery to try it out yet another year. But I don't want to push her too far either. Tight balance!

P
    P
    Having an extra number in basic maths is not enrichment - it is extra work. Strangely teachers can't see that repeating the same steps extra time and/or faster is not fulfilling for the child. Ds9 told me after one year doing maths extension that it was horrible. Some of the scores drop will be the other kids catching up as they are helped to advance while your dd and other kids who scored high are not. The top kids progress at about 2/3 speed and the lower at as fast as they can be pushed. This means they can claim "they all even out by 3rd grade". Buy Beast Academy and after school.

OP Offline
    Puffin, that's how I feel about the "enrichment" she's had so far--the teacher thought it was harder when in reality it was the same stuff everyone else was doing.

I find math to be a tricky area in school because the child's pace is contingent upon the speed of the class and curriculum. In Language Arts, the child can interpret the lesson in her own way and write according to her own level. But math is taught step by step and there's no interpretation--2+2=4 and that's it. And the child can't move on until the teacher moves on.

Does Beast Academy go by grade levels? Wondering if I should get a higher grade for DD8 to try.

P
    P
    Try 3a. It is nominally 3rd grade but different. Caveat - because of the cost and postage to NZ (i would have to spend about NZ $150 to try it) I haven't used it myself but if i was in the US i would definately buy it to try. Alternatively you could look at MEP which is free to print on line but is hard to start in the middle.

Q
    Q
    Talent searches often indicate 95th percentile, but parents can "nominate" and I doubt they would refuse your money. JHU scat is super short multiple choice on the computer. The whole test (both Math and Verbal) is less than an hour even if your kid is not speedy. When I suggest possibly enriching before advocating for acceleration, I meant at home/on-line/extracurricular so that your DD will look advance and compatible with accelerated curriculum.

OP Offline
    At this point, I would rather NOT have DD doing extra work outside of school. Sometimes she finds those challenges fun, but I also want her to play and be a kid. She gets home kind of late from school (after 4 pm), does homework if needed, then eats dinner, plays a little, gets a shower and goes to bed. Not a lot of time for free play so I'd hate to diminish it even further.

BUT... if it came down to that, I would consider one of those online programs or Beast Academy.

AND an UPDATE:
    I talked with DD's gifted teacher yesterday, and she agreed that DD needs more. She also noted her declining math MAP scores are a sign of not being challenged enough. I was looking into accelerating DD through the 3rd grade curriculum, but the gifted teacher suggested a subject or whole grade acceleration. Talk about a bomb being dropped in my lap! Not sure if we're going to pursue a grade acceleration but we're definitely thinking about it.

R
    R
    Originally Posted by HoosierMommy
    Does Beast Academy go by grade levels? Wondering if I should get a higher grade for DD8 to try.

It's a bit hidden on their website, but Beast Academy offers a printable assessment for each level so you can see where your child should start. Look under the "Assessments" section on this page to find the one for level 3a: https://www.beastacademy.com/store/product/3a

OP Offline
    Great, thanks for the tip!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM