Every year, I struggle to get DD8 challenged in math at school.

In 1st grade, the teacher agreed with me that she needed more challenge. So I came in once a week and played math strategy games and puzzles with DD and 3 other gifted kiddos. She enjoyed it, but I don't feel like it challenged her math skills overall. And DD was still sitting through repetitive math lessons.

Last year in 2nd grade, I expressed my concern to the teacher: DD needs more challenge in math. The teacher agreed and said she would give her harder problems to do. So when the rest of the class was doing 2- and 3-digit addition/subtraction, DD and a small group of like-minded kids were doing 4-digit add/subtraction. I was glad she got to work on bigger numbers, but again I wasn't fully satisfied because DD was not allowed to move on after mastering a concept. And I don't feel like it advanced her math skills much.

Now DD8 is in third grade. And again, we can tell she is not being challenged, and she's developed a lazy attitude toward figuring out harder math. But she's VERY capable of learning quickly and understanding math concepts with little instruction, and I think her laziness has come from never having to try.

I am getting ready to broach the subject with her teacher. Thankfully our school system has a great Gifted program where DD8 goes every day to a classroom with teachers who are specially trained to handle gifted kids/situations. So I did send a message to the gifted teacher to get her ideas on the situation, however I'm still awaiting her reply.

I don't have many test scores for DD. When we moved to this district 2 years ago, she took the OLSAT. If memory serves, she scored in the 99% for math and 97% for reading. Initially, her MAP tests in 1st grade had her at 99% for both math and reading. Over the last 2 years, her math MAP test score has dropped considerably which I believe is a symptom of her lazy math behavior. Plus she gets tired of taking the test for so long.

So, I'm wondering: should we enrich? Or attempt acceleration?

Any ideas/anecdotes appreciated!