Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 434 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    As I ponder the idea of homeschooling (while sweating bullets, panicking,freaking out, etc), I have to believe there is a really great book to help a parent begin the homeschool journey.
    Things I would like:
    Amount of work a middle schooler might be expected to do (ie - how long of an essay should be done).
    A book targeting HG+ kids??
    General organizational tips.
    How to handle resistance.
    How to figure out level per subject (I know that some math sites contain tests to figure this out but how about LA? Science?).
    Finally - I am sure I don't even know the questions to ask because I have never done this before.

Last question - not book related. DD11 is very reluctant about homeschool because of the fear factor yet her psych assessments are indicating depression and anxiety (plus she stated last year that school was pretty awful) so I think HS could be a good fit. How did some of you sway your child to the HS side? BTW, the psych suggested a few weeks of a "trial run" so DD could experience a bit of HS. We are also meeting with a bunch of HS families.

L
    L
    The best advice we got last year when we abruptly pulled our 11 yr old twins out of 5th grade (10 at the time)was to give them a break from schooling. Not to jump right in. Instead of reading and writing, my two were watching youtubes and Kahn academy (of their own choice) When we finally did start schooling after several months, we took it slow. We did some refresh work but I told them we would move fast...spend time going deeper on the subjects they enjoy and break up the stuff they didn't enjoy (language arts)with fun stuff. After every 6 weeks, we "huddle" and discuss what did and didn't work, what they liked and didn't like. We have changed things and I have to say it is looking different than I imagined but my kids are so much happier and less stressed than when they were in public school. Take it day by day...you all will be ok. Best wishes.

I
    I
    You've received great advice above.

Originally Posted by greenlotus
    I have to believe there is a really great book to help a parent begin the homeschool journey.
    Rather than one book, there are online resources which include myriad books and articles, for the broad range of homeschooling needs.

Originally Posted by Laurie918
    ...give them a break from schooling. Not to jump right in.
    This is often referred to as a period of deschooling. smile

B
    B
    In terms of how much work can you expect, you can probably find the state standards online and consider them a guide. Since this is a gifted site, most kids will probably already have exceeded the standards, in which case you can look at a grade or two or three up and see if the standards give you an idea of what you want to do. Just as an example, a middle schooler might be expected to write a research paper including X, Y, and Z. If she can already do that, look at the high school standards to provide more of a challenge. That's what I would do at any rate.

All good, sound advice so far.

By all means you could look at state standards and/or Common Core. I found Rebecca Rupp's book, Home Learning Year by Year (https://www.amazon.com/Home-Learnin...pell&keywords=home+learning+year+by+year) - helpful (though somewhat dated for resources) on what neurotypical children cover each year for each subject. You can sometimes find reading lists, syllabuses, and other curriculum information by googling various private or boarding schools.

Organizational/ structure - there's stuff on pinterest and elsewhere in terms of charts, logs, etc. Cindy West's book, Homeschooling Gifted and Advanced Learners (https://www.amazon.com/Homeschoolin...meschooling+gifted+and+advanced+learners) has some ways to document project-learning or other forms of learning that are not as so easy to document. So far, I've been using spreadsheets or Google docs to document things, and even have some backup printed copies.

I've been homeschooling my ds10 now since he was 6.5-yrs-old and melted at the end kindergarten at private school #2. This year, however, he's had motivation issues due to immaturity, us moving, etc. One of my goals has been to get my ds to be more self-motivated and independent and less reliant upon me -- but unfortunately I've not come across a magic formula to solve this puzzle yet!

Another thought - when you start homeschooling or move to another area to homeschool (like we've recently done), it's a good idea to find out what is available in your area or online for free vs. what can be done for minimal cost or what costs a lot of money -- in terms of academics and non-academics. Better to take the time and survey what your options are. Find out what's available through your local library, local/regional museums, and universities too.

Find out what local or regional homeschooling groups are in your area. You may have plenty on your doorstep. Or you may have to look over a wide geographic area. This is going to vary depending on where you live. However, after recently moving, I can say that some areas or groups may be more lesson happy so to speak while others may be less structured. Your child may excel in lesson activities or structured homeschooling groups. Alternatively, you may have a child who needs drop-in activities and considerably less structured groups.

Think of this in terms of academics and non-academics. You may or may not have an easier time for one versus another, but ideally you'll find something either in terms of academics and/or non-academics with other homeschoolers (with preferably a few gifted kids).

Today there is an endless stream of online courses, it seems. Many of the major colleges and universities have MOOCs (massive open online courses) or equivalent for free or nominal cost. These may be an option for you and better quality in terms of a local tutor or online course elsewhere.

If you need inspiration or convincing for homeschooling, take a look at work by John Holt, John Gatto, or Sandra Dodd for a start.

When you start looking around and seeing what options are available in your area, include your dd. I think once she feels she has more control over her academic and non-academic life then she'll start to feel better and less resistant. You may have to sit down and go through things slowly if she overwhelms by open-ended options as you'll have with homeschooling. If this is the case, then you may want to temporarily impose some limits if it feels too open-ended so your dd will feel more in control of herself. With homeschooling, the world is your oyster though.

G
    OP Offline
    G
    You guys are great! Incredibly detailed info. We have put together a very very loose schedule so DD could get an idea of what the week would look like. We are lucky to have co-ops, universities that offer homeschool classes, support groups, etc. I wanted to impress upon her that she would find friends within the groups, and she claims her fear has diminished - slightly. I hope to meet up with some HS families this week so DD can learn about their schedules.

I think another issue for DD is the fact that DD12 plans to continue at her middle school. She is doing well there. DD11 is well aware of the difference between the two and doesn't like it.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by 75west
    I think once she feels she has more control over her academic and non-academic life then she'll start to feel better and less resistant.
    Yes! smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM