Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 313 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #23252 08/19/08 06:45 PM
    OP Offline
    We had our meeting today with the principal. It went amazingly well and we seem to have a workable solution and much support from the principal and staff!!

We were very surprised to find out that there is a jr. high math and science teacher on staff who taught at a nearby gifted academy for five years before starting at our school two years ago. TWO YEARS ago!!! The principal said "please don't shoot me, I hadn't thought of involving her before." She is a Godsend to us!!! She knows what MrWiggly is like even without meeting him. Here's the plan we came up with:

MrWiggly was to be in 4th grade math. His class would be meeting first thing in the morning which is when Mrs. Math teacher teaches her 8th grade math class. Mrs. Math is willing to let MrWiggly sit in her class and supervise him in independent study work while she teaches the 8th graders. She is also willing to work with us as a private tutor to structure his math curriculum and work with him after school. She doesn't have the time during the school day, so this was the best we could work out. The principal is able to accommodate MrWiggly to have him physically in school (which helps us tremendously being working parents) and Mrs. Math is able to be his tutor/mentor and help us as parents guide his math curriculum for this year. Sounds win/win to me, given what resources we have to work with.

We still have to work out the details but I know there will be flexibility in the schedule. We might be able to send him late to school on the days he stays late with Mrs. Math. I imagine she won't need to work with him 5 days a week and we can do some at home in terms of homework and such. Mrs. Math said there will probably be opportunities to involve him in the 8th grade class now and then but he would primarily be doing his own thing. She is very used to structuring independent studies due to her GT teaching experience. The plan is to let him work at his own pace and level. It is just such a relief to know that the principal supports us and there is a teacher to help. <whew>

So, that's our plan for now. In about 4-6 weeks we'll meet again to check on the 3rd grade curriculum and differentiate as needed there (all other subjects). Mr. Principal was really honest and said while he would love to see MrWiggly through his schooling he knows that our school just doesn't have the resources or "true peers" to meet his needs. We realize that too. But for now, I think this will work. The best part was seeing MrWiggly's face light up when he found out that his new math teacher teaches 6th, 7th and 8th grade math. She told him that math is her favorite subject and MrWiggly looked up at me grinning and said "mine, too!" Perhaps he'll find a soulmate in Mrs. Math.

Hey, "for now" is all you need! That's EXCELLENT!!!

What good news! Congratulations, and best wishes for a fantastic school fit this year. Happy, happy, joy, joy!

Kriston
    K
    K
    Wow Debbie - that is absolutely fantastic. I look forward to hearing how it goes and how the Wiggly Man likes it! smile

Q
    Q
    Wow, a great start to the year. Look forward to hearing how the year goes. Great news.

Nice plan! I hope it all works out and you get even more differentiation later on.

LMom
    So good to hear! Yay yay and more yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You rock Doodlebug!

Woo-hoo! Great news. I really hope Mr Wiggly and Ms. Math hit it off.

Crisc
    OP Offline
    Awww... you guys are all awesome! Thanks for all the shared joy!

We told MrWiggly about the plan before bed tonight. He is so excited. I cried when he told my husband "This is just like when I first started school. Remember when I was so excited to go? But then I had that math that I hated and I never wanted to go to school. But tonight I feel like I'm starting all over. I don't think I can go to sleep tonight! I can't wait to go to school tomorrow!!"

You guys, he's SEVEN years old!!!! How can a seven year old say that?? And how could we not have realized how bad it was and why??? I am so glad we did that testing. Tonight DH said how he recalls his boredom at school and how he hated going and was called lazy and daydreamer and so on. He cried thinking about how much worse it has been for MrWiggly.

Well, enough beating myself up. We seem to be on the right track again. Look to the future, right? All those good wishes from your mouths (or keyboards!) to God's ears. Thanks, you guys!!

Awww, now I'm going to cry!

It's all worth it when it works out right?

As the guy from A-team used to say: I love it when a plan comes together!

Nah, don't beat yourself up. Life does enough of that! wink

Hey, you're on top of things. The kid's 7! He'll be fine. He'll be GREAT! And he knows he has parents who love him and are in there advocating for him, and that's half the battle.

I'm glad he's so happy! I hope it's better than he's imagining, even! smile

Kriston
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM