Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 423 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    M
    m2r Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi, I have been a long time lurker at the board, debating whether to get my son tested. Last month, we finally were able to get my 7.5 year old tested for WIAT III and WISC V. Does anything jump out? Should I be asking anything specific from the tester? The school has placed my son in the gifted program for language arts but not for Maths. Should I be advocating Maths gifted program based on these results?

Here are the scores for WISC V. Please let me know if any additional information is needed. Appreciate your help in advance!!

WISC V
    VCI: 146
    VSI: 126
    FRI:151
    WMI:135
    PSI:116
    FSIQ:146

Nonverbal: 142
    GAI:148
    CPI: 132

Subtest scores (scaled score and percentile)
    Verbal comprehension
    Similarities 17 99th
    vocabulary 19 99.9th

Visual spatial
    Block design 14 91th
    Visual puzzle 15 95th

Fluid reasoning
    Matrix reasoning 19 99.9th
    Figure weights 18 99.6th

Working memory
    Digit span 17 99th
    Picture span 16 98th

Processing speed
    Coding 12 75th
    Symbol search 14 91th

E
    E
    I don't know the answer to your question about math, but you should apply to Davidson with this scores.

M
    m2r Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks Elizabeth! Application in progress, we knew our son has above average abilities, but definitely didn't believe he is DYS qualified.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Welcome!

His cognitive scores would suggest that math should be an area to consider for advancement, especially conceptual math, but I would guess that the school made the placement recommendations based on his WIAT-III achievement scores, or on curriculum-based end-of-course testing, not purely on his WISC-V scores. And, depending on your district's curriculum and in-class differentiation options, as well as the profile of the overall population, they may feel that they can accommodate his needs in the regular classroom. It's hard to say without knowing where his actual math skills are at this time.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    M
    m2r Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi aeh, sorry I should have been more specific. DS was tested on a district non standard test for gifted placement at the beginning of the KG year in which he qualified in LA but not in Math. We were told that they would add Math services if they seem fit. We had this conversation with the school couple of months ago, and they still believe that he is not a candidate for Maths gifted services.

We got him independently tested for both WIATII and WISC V, we haven�t shared the results with the school yet. Here are the WIAT III results taken at the same time, and WIAT III scores look to be higher than WISC V scores

Oral Language: 146 99.9th
    Total Reading: 143 99.8th
    Basic Reading: 150 >99.9th
    Reading Comprehension & Fluency: 135 99th
    Written Expression: 157 >99.9th
    Mathematics: 160 >99.9th
    Math Fluency: 135 99
    Total Achievement: 150 >99.9th

Would appreciate any insight and how to advocate to school for Maths gifted placement.

G
    G
    Originally Posted by m2r
    Thanks Elizabeth! Application in progress, we knew our son has above average abilities, but definitely didn't believe he is DYS qualified.
    If I had a dollar for every time I heard this, I'd be rich. wink

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    His achievement scores are quite comparable to his cognitive scores. I would consider them supportive of math advancement, but it may be that the district is looking at some curriculum-specific criteria that include, say, math fact speed, or consistent 99/100 scores on all math work (which can be difficult for learners who are far past basic arithmetic, as self-monitoring for low-interest rote tasks often isn't good in young children (or older ones, for that matter)). Do you have access to the district criteria?

ETA: I'm not implying that he shouldn't be advanced in math, just that the district may be using criteria that don't capture his abilities.

Last edited by aeh; 07/19/16 12:01 PM.

M
    m2r Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Actually I don't have the district tests available:(. I have requested a conference, but not sure they will grant any conferences during summer. Also, the results that they have are over 1.5 years old, so DS's test taking (and maybe IQ/ability) has increased over the period. The psychologist is very supportive of personally speaking with the school teachers for subject acceleration or entrance into the gifted program. Not sure it will help, but lets see.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I think the age of the previous assessments is a highly-relevant point to introduce into the discussion at the conference. A kindergartner is not only substantially less testable than a rising second grader, but also hasn't had the benefit of much formal instruction, the effects of which are particularly noticeable in mathematics.

M
    m2r Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    That makes sense aeh! We will see how the meeting goes! Thanks for all the support!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM