Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 275 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    A
    My DS6 is what you might call the "discovery learner" described in this thread. He's filled with energy and must touch and play with everything. He liked being read to but didn't love to do it quietly for hours like my older DD. Even at this age my DD always liked "projects" whereas DS just likes messing around with "stuff".

Many people have different expectations of boys and girls at the preschool age. Little girls sit and color, while boys run around like maniacs. Is she hyper-energy compared to other girls or compared to all children? Does she ever focus on an activity of your choosing (not her choosing)?

I have two boys, both high energy, but both as three-year-olds very able to focus. Not on coloring, but reading books, building together, board games.

I get that she's young, but if she's not ever able to focus on an activity of your choosing (cooking together? making jewelry? I don't know what girls like), I'd make an appointment.

R
    RRD Offline
    R
    Originally Posted by LazyMum
    RRD, I'm not sure if role playing counts as imagination, but if it does, then I think she's probably got a big imagination, given that I've been 'Owlette' and she's been 'Romeo' (from PJ Masks) for nearly a week now. She doesn't drop character, and corrects me if I do. :p
    Role playing absolutely counts when it comes to imagination!

As for getting her evaluated, I suppose it can't do any harm. But I doubt any professional would diagnose her with ADD (or anything like it) at her age, nor do I think you should worry yet (she's only 3!). Of course, I'm a mom, not a professional. smile With DS6, over time, it has turned out to be his intensity that meant he would rarely stop moving. These days, his intensity is what sometimes leads him to focus on an activity for hours on end.

P
    P
    Is she 'just 3' or nearly 4?

A
    A
    Originally Posted by KJP
    To an outside observer, the first kid is focused and learned a lot at the beach. The second kid just rolled around getting filthy.

KJP is spot on that learning isn't always externally obvious, until it is. I've been impressed at some of the learning and reasoning that has gone in my DS' brain when he was outwardly
    apparently doing "nothing of value". Children deserve a lot of credit--they are true students of the world!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    L
    LazyMum Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks again for all the replies. Sorry it's taken me a few days to respond.

KJP, I don't think she's missing any important milestones, and moreover I'm sure she could learn any that she's missed if I forced the issue. It was the same with potty training and shoes. I gave her until she turned 3 even though she was obviously ready well before that. When I forced the issue, it was done in an afternoon. With tears, but done.

Chay, thanks for some of the great ideas - pavement chalk, genius! Also glad to hear your DS was still absorbing as you read, maybe I won't give up on story time just yet. I do feel bad that I can't give DD more opportunity to be physical each day, we spend a few hours each day outside but I can't manage much more than that. She deserves a farm but all I can give her are footpaths and slides frown

DianaG, she's high energy compared to all the kids at the park. She's constantly trying to get other kids (or me) to play tag, or super heroes, or cops, or anything else that involves running. When the other kids are usually playing forts, or sandcastles. She's running. Even climbing doesn't cut it. She needs to run. We usually take a ball along and she runs around and kicks it if she can't get anyone else to play. When she's old enough I'll get her into some kiddy sports classes but there's nothing here (apart from swimming, which she hates) for her age yet.

Puffin, she's nearly 3.5.

RRD, I don't think I will get her assessed. The only reason I would do it (next year, if at all) would be to give her school a heads up before she starts, if she has any special learning needs.

Now that I've done a bit more googling, I think she probably has psychomotor OE (and a few others). I might try to find a book so I can understand it better and equip myself with better techniques to deal with it.

And start looking for a flat near the park so we can spend more time outside, running, each day wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM