Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    So my kiddo (DD10) was already skipped once in elementary school and it worked out great - no issues at all (except the usual "not challenging enough academically) We had high hopes for academic magnet school that she got into but work was not challenging/interesting or at her level period. So I've spoke with the school trying to get her appropriate placement at least in math for next year (Algebra 1, 7th grade advanced class in this school). After chain of events somehow schools decided to place her in 7th grade for everything, skipping 6th grade. Honestly, this was not my intention! Kiddo is absolutely happy and begging me to allow it. I am terrified. I read all the threads here and lots of studies but still very uneasy about it. I am not even sure why I am so scared. First time she skipped I was quite content and happy. This time she will be 10 year old in 7th grade... Any positive stories, happy endings or advices will be appreciated!!! Or cautionary tales too! P.S. English is my second language so I apologies for mistakes...

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    This is pretty much how our DC's second effective grade skip occurred. We were advocating for an SSA in mathematics for our already-early-entered rising fourth grader, which the school agreed to. On the first day of school, DC came home with an all-fifth grade schedule. (8 yo in fifth grade roster of multi-grade classroom ranging up to 7th graders.) After an additional SSA in math the following year, the net result was also a 10 yo in 7th grade, in algebra I.

Of course, every child and school is different, but ours had a generally positive experience. Supportive factors: small, cozy, nurturing school with multi-grade classrooms and teachers accustomed to multi-level instruction. Caring mix of children in the receiving class.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by MorningStar
    Kiddo is absolutely happy and begging me to allow it. I am terrified. I read all the threads here and lots of studies but still very uneasy about it.
    Has your school used the Iowa Acceleration Scale to help discuss and evaluate factors for likely success of the grade skip?

You mentioned reading threads here. This old post lists many threads on acceleration.

C
    C
    Not a full-grade skip, but our child will be in seventh grade in three classes (basically half the school day) assuming he stays in the same school this fall. He will turn 10 just before school starts. He's been in a two-grade skip in those classes for about two school years. It's worked very well as far as getting along with the older children in class. It was a bit harder while he learned to manage the work requirements but he did do so. He can't imagine being in a lower grade for those classes.

I'd take comfort in the fact that your child is excited about this additional skip. Perhaps talking with her and the school about how to test the skip out for a trial period and what will determine for all if it is a good thing would help?

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    My son was homeschooled for K-4 and then went to a very small private school for 6th and 8th grades (skipped 5th on entry and then skipped 7th). He was accelerated three years in math (so he did Algebra I the first year and geometry the second).

The math placement was correct, but the other classes, even with the second skip, were hit and miss in terms of an appropriate level of challenge--and the pace was always too slow. But the executive skills required, for him at least, bordered on too much. It's not that he couldn't do it, but I did have to orchestrate homework and planning a bit more that I'd like. We ended up homeschooling again after that 8th grade year.

It's been two years now, and he will be 9th grade age in the fall. He has decided to go to the public high school as a 9th grader. This way he can be with his group of friends from the public homeschool support program he attended in K-4. Most of his classes will be things he's had before, and he tells me he's ok with that (this is the same kid who would have a meltdown if the work in our homeschool was even the slightest bit too easy or repetitive). To the school's credit, they actually placed him appropriately in math without me having to do much in the way of advocacy.

A friend once told me that her philosophy was to place her (HG+) kids where they'd do best socially because the academic piece would always be a poor fit. When she told me that, I thought she was nuts, but now I see her point.

With the caveat that all kids are different...

Originally Posted by MorningStar
    I am terrified. I read all the threads here and lots of studies but still very uneasy about it. I am not even sure why I am so scared.

Oh man. I was/am so there. Our DD, now 15, skipped 2nd and 6th grade. Even now that she is an extremely successful post-11/pre-12th grader, who is thriving at school - I still have those worries that I have already or am going to mess things up for my kiddo. I think those fears will continue to be around until post-college. And the kicker is almost all of the stories I can tell you are positive ones.

Socially - she totally fits in with the class of 2017 (especially the nerds/geeks). Heck, even she says that she is the most mature of her friend group. At age 14, she was picked to be drum major for the marching band (and will be the returning drum major for this year).

Academically - she just finished 11th grade and she has enough credit hours to graduate. She actually has acquired more right now than most of the graduating seniors did. And I should point out, her mother and I are not forcing her in this - she just cannot fathom not taking every single class you can cram into your schedule - and for her the best part of summer is the JHU-CTY Intensive Studies camp.

Kids who were great candidates for one grade skip are often (especially when the grade skip occurred in elementary) great candidates for a second grade skip. My DD15 was, and it sounds like your DD10 may also be. By the end of HS, you may look back and think she could have even skipped a third time (though, for us, self-selecting classes in HS has allowed for adding rigor without doing another skip).

For me the worry of making the wrong choice has not gone away, luckily I am even more fearful of holding my kid back from being successful. Though I will say, when DD was in 8th grade and took three HS classes, it was really trippy for me to drop my 11 year old off at the high school and see seniors with full beards walking into school at the same time.

PM me if you want - I have lots of stories I could share, but I've probably typed plenty already.

Best of luck,
    -S.F.

For gifted children, doing nothing is the wrong choice.
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Has your school used the Iowa Acceleration Scale to help discuss and evaluate factors for likely success of the grade skip? .
    . They did not use this scale. Kiddo did take Iowa algebra aptitude test before they said yes to Algebra next year but my guess that after hearing teachers comments and looking into her scores/assessments in all subjects principle felt like this is the best option for her. In theory she is a perfect candidate for another skip. She passed this math test without any preparation and not knowing what to expect, her comprehension at 12th grade level, she is amazing speller, loves science (chemistry, physics, geology). Loves programming (into Java and 3D design... Maturity level and class work ethic is well above her age... SFrog actually verbalized my fares exactly! This fear is more emotional than fact driven!

M
    OP Offline
    M
    SFrog - these are exactly my thoughts! Thank you for sharing- this really helps to put things in perspective and verbalize my fears: I am afraid to make a wrong choice. My kiddo is good with everyone but has hard time connecting with age peers (or kids that are year older anyway). So she might find better fit socially with older kids. Your daughter sounds like mine in terms of maturity smile What you told me calmed me a little - just to see that I am not the only one with these fears and there were others who went through the same. I am so afraid I am robbing her of childhood and rushing things along...

Last edited by MorningStar; 06/09/16 05:08 PM.
    I
    I
    The Iowa Acceleration Scale (IAS) considers both academic/intellectual and social/emotional characteristics. Going through the process with the school, and knowing that all factors were considered, may help set your mind at ease.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by indigo
    The Iowa Acceleration Scale (IAS) considers both academic/intellectual and social/emotional characteristics. Going through the process with the school, and knowing that all factors were considered, may help set your mind at ease.

I have a call with principle to ask some questions tomorrow so I will ask if this is something that is available in this school. I doubt they have it set up though. This is academic magnet so they don't do skips kids often but it will not hurt to ask, of course!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM