Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #231560 06/08/16 11:50 AM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    We're about to make a second visit to a new school and I'm pulling together documents to share. (Have read quite a bit of advocacy information, ODS is a DYS so we've had to educate ourselves.) This is a public school with extended learning plans mandated by law.

We have
    -Assessment reports for both kids (WISC and achievement).

-EXPLORE for the older one (which shows a mixed bag - very high in science, more middle of the pack in math, which is his highest ability score and in which he's been accelerated). I'm thinking we still share that -- along with the "ready for" information from the EXPLORE talent search report. But maybe someone not experienced with these tests would see the scores as an indicator to not keep him accelerated?

-FAST testing (which shows YDS already meeting the reading standards a year ahead of grade). His achievement testing also shows he's in the 80% plus range vs. kids a year ahead of him. Exception is math, but his K class was dismal in that regard. Assessment report shows good capability and that he will likely take off there with proper instruction.

Grade reports are my biggest concern. YDS was placed one grade level up in reading/language arts and has some Cs. He bombed one spelling test we didn't make him study for, had 90s and 100s on the rest. Not a big enough quantity to help his grade.

ODS has a B in math (91%) and a B in language arts (I think that's 89% - he had to take a test a week later than the class due to schedule conflicts. Is accelerated in that subject and the different grades were off on field trips/end of year activities. I can see the new school using this against him, but honestly can't see him repeating this grade.

The new school principal mentioned that they like to see accelerated kids at the top of the class. I'm guessing the grades might not meet that standard.

Less worried about YDS as he's going into first. ODS is in a tougher spot as the school will have to be creative to make anything work (due to elementary/middle school locations).

Does this all seem like a lost cause? I feel like we don't have enough data showing achievement to make the case to maintain accelerations or come up w/some other solution.

B
    B
    I'm trying to get past the fact that if I'm reading your post right you have a Kindergarten student being given letter grades including a C. Who does that?

Anyway, what's the situation you're in? Is the new school asking for any of this info? Are you already accepted and just trying to influence the placement?

C
    OP Offline
    C
    I hear you re the C. For that class, he was in 1st, but still. K is supposed to get Satisfactory, etc. but the school uses an online system that seems to only allow letter grades. So yes, he also got a B in music because he was absent for one class. (The system has a lot of benefits, forcing letter grades on K students isn't one of them.)

We are looking at our local public school because the commute to the private school and not meeting people in our area are becoming more difficult. We also were disappointed with the education provided for YDS.

The principal has asked us to bring the data we have in order to discuss placement (including ELPs for the older child).

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent