Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #230304 05/07/16 05:59 PM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Has anyone had trouble with their child being successful in scouts? My ds crossed over to Boy Scouts several months ago and has been miserable the entire time. Cub Scouts was fine for him, mostly because I was his leader and was able to adjust things for his needs, but the troop is a mess! He can not stand the chaos and the lack of structure. He feels like he is not accomplishing anything. I understand that Boy Scouts is supposed to be boy-run at the troop level, but most of the time everyone is off task. The scoutmaster is taking kind of a sink or swim approach with the boys stating "they need to figure it out." They don't get him and don't understand why he is struggling so much. He has is heart set on being an Eagle Scout but he'll never get there with this troop. Going to a different troop is not feasible due to our rural area.

cairistoina #230305 05/07/16 06:07 PM
    F
    F
    In my opinion, keep in mind my son is a webelos II and looking for a troop, time to find a new troop. We are looking at troops with boys like DS. The troop our pack generally feeds into, is not a good match for us. We have visited about 10 troops in our area as 1st year Webelos and think we have found a fit. We will be camping with them over the summer.

cairistoina #230306 05/07/16 06:11 PM
    H
    H
    If there are no other troops in your area, can you volunteer to be part of the adult leadership and get training to do so?

howdy #230308 05/08/16 07:28 AM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    I had thought of that. I was told that I am not needed. I volunteer with a pack, 2 venture crews and have positions at the district and council level but apparently I don't know enough about scouting for them!

cairistoina #230310 05/08/16 08:30 AM
    J
    J
    Boy Scouts is supposed to be boy led, so it does tend to be very disorganized. They tend to not want women to help out, really just the dads.
    Our troop is pretty disorganized too but my 7th grader has made the most of it. He is a Life Scout (just below Eagle) and just completed all 21 of the required badges for Eagle Scout. He is starting to talk to a science museum about doing his Eagle project there.
    My younger son (5th grade) joined our Boy Scout troop early. He already has 10 badges and is going to summer camp this summer.

cairistoina #230322 05/08/16 12:15 PM
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by cairistoina
    I had thought of that. I was told that I am not needed. I volunteer with a pack, 2 venture crews and have positions at the district and council level but apparently I don't know enough about scouting for them!

They won't want a second troop unless they have too many kids for the existing one. Having two half full troops competing for members would be a problem in arurul area.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM