Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: cairistoina Boy Scouts - 05/08/16 12:59 AM
Has anyone had trouble with their child being successful in scouts? My ds crossed over to Boy Scouts several months ago and has been miserable the entire time. Cub Scouts was fine for him, mostly because I was his leader and was able to adjust things for his needs, but the troop is a mess! He can not stand the chaos and the lack of structure. He feels like he is not accomplishing anything. I understand that Boy Scouts is supposed to be boy-run at the troop level, but most of the time everyone is off task. The scoutmaster is taking kind of a sink or swim approach with the boys stating "they need to figure it out." They don't get him and don't understand why he is struggling so much. He has is heart set on being an Eagle Scout but he'll never get there with this troop. Going to a different troop is not feasible due to our rural area.
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: Boy Scouts - 05/08/16 01:07 AM
In my opinion, keep in mind my son is a webelos II and looking for a troop, time to find a new troop. We are looking at troops with boys like DS. The troop our pack generally feeds into, is not a good match for us. We have visited about 10 troops in our area as 1st year Webelos and think we have found a fit. We will be camping with them over the summer.
Posted By: howdy Re: Boy Scouts - 05/08/16 01:11 AM
If there are no other troops in your area, can you volunteer to be part of the adult leadership and get training to do so?
Posted By: cairistoina Re: Boy Scouts - 05/08/16 02:28 PM
I had thought of that. I was told that I am not needed. I volunteer with a pack, 2 venture crews and have positions at the district and council level but apparently I don't know enough about scouting for them!
Posted By: jack'smom Re: Boy Scouts - 05/08/16 03:30 PM
Boy Scouts is supposed to be boy led, so it does tend to be very disorganized. They tend to not want women to help out, really just the dads.
Our troop is pretty disorganized too but my 7th grader has made the most of it. He is a Life Scout (just below Eagle) and just completed all 21 of the required badges for Eagle Scout. He is starting to talk to a science museum about doing his Eagle project there.
My younger son (5th grade) joined our Boy Scout troop early. He already has 10 badges and is going to summer camp this summer.
Posted By: puffin Re: Boy Scouts - 05/08/16 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by cairistoina
I had thought of that. I was told that I am not needed. I volunteer with a pack, 2 venture crews and have positions at the district and council level but apparently I don't know enough about scouting for them!

They won't want a second troop unless they have too many kids for the existing one. Having two half full troops competing for members would be a problem in arurul area.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum