Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Now after the 2nd marking period so over halfway through DD's third academic year post single grade skip (sixth grade). Relative to her class peers, DD has done well, making the Principal's list both marking periods.

Hit some rocky patches but she is back to being OK with school at the moment. The slow pace of a tiny rural public middle school chafes her but the staff there are very supportive. The librarian there and my DD are especially close.

Although she could easily cope with the academics, we are glad that DD hasn't skipped more than 1 year. She interacts with seventh and eighth graders at the debating and newspaper clubs in addition to her Maths class and tells me that if she skipped she would not have any close friends - the older girls are civil with her but she can see that they would never be that close (the gulf between pre and post puberty being vast).

Also doing the Davidson Composition class where her average is a B which we are happy with because she is learning new skills and having to do it after B&M school. We have taken a break from AOPS to let her better adjust to middle school and be in the school play, it will resume in about a week and she is looking forward to it.

Have also reached out to other NJ DYS families and hosted a DIG and DW networked around and got DD connected with a local Maths circle. Another girl there and our DD really enjoy one another's company which is gratifying to see.

Beginning to worry about charting a course for DD's Maths as I want her to meet other kids at the high school but really not happy with the glacial pace of B&M school Maths...

Last edited by madeinuk; 03/03/16 04:00 AM.

Become what you are
    B
    B
    DS just turned 17.. in 11th grade. And he's acting like a teenager and asking me to stay out of his business. He doesn't want my help. I've started in a new business venture so I'm crazy busy and so I've let it be. I'm not even checking his grades very often. Things are going OK. Grades not as high as I'd like but he's passing everything. He still doesn't turn in all the English homework which pulls that grade down. (ARGG!!) He loves AP Bio, he gets his best grades in Calculus.

We are starting the hunt for colleges. Going on a spring break trip to look at universities in a few weeks. He has a big meeting at school with his counselor tomorrow, parents not invited. To talk about college plans and classes for next year. AP Computer Science, English , Poly Sci/Econ , Band & Marching Band are all for sure. But he's dragging his feet on AP Physics. He doesn't see the point on taking Physics without Calculus. I understand but since he is still considering some type of Engineering in college I think it would be a mistake not to have taken any physics.

Can't believe he is almost a senior in H.S.

N
    N
    I hear him about the Physics without Calculus, but he needs to take Physics, especially if he is going into Engineering. Taking college Physics without any prior experience, and with a bunch of kids that have taken at least one Physics class, if not more...it will be rough. My HS senior took Physics 1 last year and Physics C this year (Mech and E&M). While she is not going into Engineering, he will be in college Physics with kids like her (and that will be a disadvantage). Also, our public HS requires all students to take Biology, Chemistry and Physics - all with lab - to graduate. Does your HS have any such requirement?

As for my kiddies, middle kid is a HS senior, so just awaiting the college decisions. Did well first semester, just enjoying things second semester. Is occupied with classes, her spring sport, her job and looking for a prom dress. Youngest, who is in 6th grade, is doing fine. Grades are good and in a variety of activities. Just participated in her first color guard competition - we should have videoed to show to her prom date six years from now.

S
    S
    Everyone here is doing hunky dory.
    DD13 is finishing up 8th Grade and getting ready for high school. How did that happen. She has a 3.67 Cumulative GPA and loves French. She is having to work this year in math, high school level Algebra I. She loves English and just finished reading Romeo and Juliet. Science always just happens in the background and she always gets great grades. She could do without her government class. Going into high school means that she is considering boarding ballet conservatories. She has decided to stick around for at least 9th grade and do her research for 10th.

DD10 is finishing up elementary school. She was lable 2E a year ago and invited to the Gifted Program as well as starting in the special education program with an IEP. She met all her IEP goals with and is now only receiving help regarding organization with her time, stuff, and thoughts. She is hoping to attend her sister's school in the fall for 6th grade, but we were concerned about acceptance due to admissions test. She was all over the globe for IQ...99th - 9th percentile range. Well she shocked us all when she scored a few points higher on her entrance exam (OLSAT) with a 132 actually qualifying her to be considered for a scholarship! She is playing softball and swimming..

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM