Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 246 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Just to clarify.. is she is a CC compressed Math 8, Algebra I class combined? If so.. Math 8 isn't "pre-algebra" it is pre-algebra the first 4-5 chapters of Algebra & some gemoetry.

Techncally, she is in prealgebra. (How systems of equations is prealgebra, I don't know.) Next year, she will take Algebra 1. I'm still confused about how this all works.
    Sounds like she is probably in a Common Core 8th grade math class. Didn't know that went all the way to solving two equations and two unknowns.

Good Luck. I hope you have found some good advice.

Val Offline
    ETA: 7th grade CC math has students solving equations that are algebra (see example below). My DS told me that he had done that last year, and didn't really get it then, either. Do you think your DD could have been in the same boat? It might explain why her algebra is shaky, as you described.

Originally Posted by 7th grade CC math
    Solve word problems leading to inequalities of the form px + q > r or px + q < r, where p, q, and r are specific rational numbers. Graph the solution set of the inequality and interpret it in the context of the problem. For example: As a salesperson, you are paid $50 per week plus $3 per sale. This week you want your pay to be at least $100. Write an inequality for the number of sales you need to make, and describe the solutions.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    I do remember her doing some inequalities last year, which she struggled with somewhat but was able to do mechanistically. However, it's all a bit mystifying because last year she was one year advanced plus "gifted" in math (that is, she was in 5th and completed the 6th grade curriculum plus "extra enrichment"). She then, based on standardized test scores, was invited to take a placement test that could have put her in an "advanced 6th grade" class or this 2 years accelerated class. She placed into 2 years advanced, but it seems to me that she may have skipped some material...maybe this is a hybrid class of compressed 7th/8th grade?? Heck, it's really all very confusing. Whatever the case, she is not an accelerated 6th grader with 8th graders--she is with other same-age kids in a designated gifted class, but they presumably have at least as slapdash a background as hers, if not worse. She says other kids are having a hard time.

ETA: Her class's technical title is "7th grade gifted math." ??

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Now they're done with that "unit" and have skipped to geometry, which she finds completely easy. She's thrilled. Hmm.

I think that Val is right-- it's probably the CC 8th grade course. Is the textbook Pearson's "Course 3" by any chance? That textbook is a horror show of modern textbook writing er-- well, compilation, let's just say.

DD helped tutor a LOT of students through that mess of a textbook, and the course that it went with-- which was just as labyrinthine. There were literally concepts that required skills in chapters that FOLLOWED the material being covered. It wasn't isolated, either-- it was a regular feature.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    G
    G
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    I do remember her doing some inequalities last year, which she struggled with somewhat but was able to do mechanistically. However, it's all a bit mystifying because last year she was one year advanced plus "gifted" in math (that is, she was in 5th and completed the 6th grade curriculum plus "extra enrichment"). She then, based on standardized test scores, was invited to take a placement test that could have put her in an "advanced 6th grade" class or this 2 years accelerated class. She placed into 2 years advanced, but it seems to me that she may have skipped some material...maybe this is a hybrid class of compressed 7th/8th grade?? Heck, it's really all very confusing. Whatever the case, she is not an accelerated 6th grader with 8th graders--she is with other same-age kids in a designated gifted class, but they presumably have at least as slapdash a background as hers, if not worse. She says other kids are having a hard time.

ETA: Her class's technical title is "7th grade gifted math." ??

We are in a similar situation. DD10 should be in 5th but accelerated last Spring and then tested into a class that combines all 6th, 7th, and about half of 8th. We were told to do that instead of skipping levels so both girls would not miss content. Anyway, I looked it up, and the method is called "integrated math". She and her sister will come out of middle school with 2 years of high school math. I just looked to see the high school math progression and came away totally confused. I hope we parents get help figuring out math classes in a couple of years when we face registering for high school.

_
    _
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    I think that Val is right-- it's probably the CC 8th grade course. Is the textbook Pearson's "Course 3" by any chance? That textbook is a horror show of modern textbook writing er-- well, compilation, let's just say.

DD helped tutor a LOT of students through that mess of a textbook, and the course that it went with-- which was just as labyrinthine. There were literally concepts that required skills in chapters that FOLLOWED the material being covered. It wasn't isolated, either-- it was a regular feature.

WHOAH! That's crazy...

U
    OP Offline
    U
    HK, I think she is using a state-branded version of Pearson's Course 2 and Course 3? IDK.

W
    W
    HK

My DD just came home with an awful Algebra math worksheet, and following this thread I looked at the bottom and guess what is says, Course 3 Chapter 6! Poor kiddo!

U
    OP Offline
    U
    BTW, greenlotus, DD is also scheduled to exit middle school with 2 years of high school math (algebra and geometry). They count for her transcript (somehow--not even sure how this works). Makes me nervous. I think DD's class is somewhat similar to your DD's--it appears to be a compacted 7th/8th grade curriculum.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM