Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #226611 01/12/16 01:33 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Some of you may have read about me wanting to get my DS 1.5y assessed for possible OCD/ASD. I was explaining to my Doctor about my anxieties around DS's behaviors and my concerns about his Pedi not taking my concerns seriously. I couldn't get a sitter for DS, so brought him with me w/ toys and snacks to occupy him. Anyways, apparently my Dr used to specialize in GT2E assessment and attachment in early childhood before switching to Women's health (I asked for proof out of curiousity - he's legit). He had some extra time and offered to assess him right there with the toys I had...informally, of course. So, he mostly just watched him play, asked him a few questions, and so forth. I was shocked that he offered to do that, but wasn't surprised by his response. He said he had absolutely no concerns regarding OCD/ASD, but said he was meticulous and regimented, but it seemed to be a malleable behavior based on control and preference than compulsions. Also said it likely would be a strong personality trait, but not a sign of disordered processes. He was a far cry ahead of his age peers and recommended he be routinely (once or twice a year) seen on follow-up to track his asynchronicity development. This doc has seen him off-and-on at my appointments since he was 3 months old, so he had some idea of what he was like on a day-to-day basis. He reassured me that I was doing all the right things (setting boundaries, letting him explore, fail, praise him for working hard, responding quickly and picking up on cues, enriching his environment, etc.) and it showed. He told me I should consider starting DS in Pre-K early and doing some summer camps at the local college (which I used to do as a kid and LOVED, so was planning on it anyways). His favorite area as my MD/PhD put it, was motor-centered and least favorite was language/communication.

So happy to have an expert opinion! This whole experience has been seriously interesting and to think it's only just beginning! I am really relieved that DS's behavior isn't signaling something more challenging. Most importantly, DS is happy and apparently we have a very strong, healthy, secure attachment (I was beginning to wonder with the amount of typical toddler tantrums and limit-setting lately, but I was told he's just comfortable showing negative emotions and that is a good thing?!).

A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    Mal, what are the chances of an expert in early childhood 2e "just happening" to be already a trusted adviser, AND willing to take a quick look at your DS! I'm very happy for you and your DS. It's hard enough not to doubt oneself as a parent to any child, let alone a low-incidence child...good to have an IRL expert to give you perspective.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    aeh, I was dumbfounded! He works with a lot of IVF moms to handle postpartum anxiety. It was the first time I'd seen him in 4-5 months, so I had only had a slight inkling that something might be out of the norm with DS. I never have that kind of luck, it was kismet! He didn't have to say anything, but I'm so glad he did!

C
    C
    That is FANTASTIC!

LAF Offline
    How wonderful! So glad to hear you had someone in your corner with the expertise to help you!

A
    A
    Awesome!!!

C
    C
    That's awesome smile Im glad you had someone available and willing to give you more insight smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent