Some of you may have read about me wanting to get my DS 1.5y assessed for possible OCD/ASD. I was explaining to my Doctor about my anxieties around DS's behaviors and my concerns about his Pedi not taking my concerns seriously. I couldn't get a sitter for DS, so brought him with me w/ toys and snacks to occupy him. Anyways, apparently my Dr used to specialize in GT2E assessment and attachment in early childhood before switching to Women's health (I asked for proof out of curiousity - he's legit). He had some extra time and offered to assess him right there with the toys I had...informally, of course. So, he mostly just watched him play, asked him a few questions, and so forth. I was shocked that he offered to do that, but wasn't surprised by his response. He said he had absolutely no concerns regarding OCD/ASD, but said he was meticulous and regimented, but it seemed to be a malleable behavior based on control and preference than compulsions. Also said it likely would be a strong personality trait, but not a sign of disordered processes. He was a far cry ahead of his age peers and recommended he be routinely (once or twice a year) seen on follow-up to track his asynchronicity development. This doc has seen him off-and-on at my appointments since he was 3 months old, so he had some idea of what he was like on a day-to-day basis. He reassured me that I was doing all the right things (setting boundaries, letting him explore, fail, praise him for working hard, responding quickly and picking up on cues, enriching his environment, etc.) and it showed. He told me I should consider starting DS in Pre-K early and doing some summer camps at the local college (which I used to do as a kid and LOVED, so was planning on it anyways). His favorite area as my MD/PhD put it, was motor-centered and least favorite was language/communication.

So happy to have an expert opinion! This whole experience has been seriously interesting and to think it's only just beginning! I am really relieved that DS's behavior isn't signaling something more challenging. Most importantly, DS is happy and apparently we have a very strong, healthy, secure attachment (I was beginning to wonder with the amount of typical toddler tantrums and limit-setting lately, but I was told he's just comfortable showing negative emotions and that is a good thing?!).